Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smudgy glasses after contact with viewfinder eyepiece cup  (Read 2021 times)

BrunoW

• http://
smudgy glasses after contact with viewfinder eyepiece cup
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:19:46 pm »

Hi

I hate to get smudgy glasses after looking through the viewfinder. Obviously it results from the glasses getting into contact with the rubber lining the viewfinder eyepiece cup.

Has anyone solved this problem?

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: smudgy glasses after contact with viewfinder eyepiece cup
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:25:09 pm »

Hi

I hate to get smudgy glasses after looking through the viewfinder. Obviously it results from the glasses getting into contact with the rubber lining the viewfinder eyepiece cup.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Clean the rubber lining?

BrunoW

• http://
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:28:05 pm »

Cleaning ???
I was expecting some NASA tested and approved rocket-science magic to apply to the rubber ...

stever

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:00:08 pm »

i have talked to knowledgeable professionals about this and no one has an answer

i believe the problem is plasticizer from the eyecup material.  of course you can remove the eye cup and then scratch your expensive coated glasses

if anyone has a solution (other than contacts), i'd love to hear it

feppe obviously doesn't wear glasses

pindman

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:12:48 pm »

Totally solved it.  Lasik!  One eye set for far vision to see through the viewfinder, and the other set for close to see the camera and back.  No sunscreen, sweat, or insect repellent on glasses either, but do wear them for computer distance.

It's wonderful!!!

Paul

leuallen

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:05:55 pm »

I have a similar problem. If it is even semi-hot, the sweat from my forehead drips onto my glasses - really gives bad vision. Also, my brow pressing against the glasses, puts grease on the inside of the glasses which works it way into the vision area - also very bad.

I had a long talk with Chris Vogler of SafeVision in Mo and he thinks he can solve the problem. SafeVision deals with specialty frames for hunters, safety, swimming, motorcycle, etc. He believes that a frame with a rubber gasket across the top and perhaps with side shields to block light from the sides would work. The gasket would prevent the sweat from dripping down the inside of the glasses and prevent the glasses from being pressed into the brow. And yes, I wear a sweat band on my forehead which helps but does not eliminate.

This is not an endorsement as I have not placed my order or seen the frames yet but I am going to give it a try. Chris seems very knowledgeable and understands the problem. They ship you eight frames that might work, you try them out, pick the one that works, and ship them back - cost about $8.00 shipping return.

I saw motorcycle frames at Walmart which are similar but have too much curve around the sides. I would be afraid of distortion with these.

As for the camera eyepiece smudging I don't think there is a good solution other than keep the eyepiece clean and carry packets of Zeiss lens cleaners in your pocket. This does not seem to be my major problem so I have not noticed it much. Maybe I just keep my camera eyepiece clean. Seems that once clean, it should not get dirty easily because only the glass of the glasses should come into contact. Maybe different camera manufactures rubber is more prone to this than others?

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up