Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor Photographer of the Year comp  (Read 5575 times)

steve_watkins

Outdoor Photographer of the Year comp
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:17 am »

Hiya, just a heads up that the deadline for the Outdoor Photographer of the Year competition is looming - 30th September. It's run by Outdoor Photography magazine in the UK but open to photographers from anywhere in the world. Over £5000 worth of prizes up for grabs and categories for landscape and wildlife images. Check it out here:
http://www.opoty.co.uk

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Outdoor Photographer of the Year comp
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:47:42 pm »

Looks like yet another blanket rights grab. From the contest rules:

5.2  By entering this Competition the entrant grants permission to the Promoter and sponsors and their associated group companies to reproduce the entrants photos in any media (including without limitation on the OPOTY Website or in the Outdoor Photography Magazine) whether or not the image is selected as a winning entry of any of the categories.
[emphasis mine]

While the contestant retains copyright, since sponsors include Canon, Giottos and Kata, this means that they can use any and all entries in any media. Other sections of the Rules limit the usage to be "in connection with the Contest," but not section 5.2.

steve_watkins

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:52:57 pm »

I can assure you and all other photographers that the 'in connection with the competition' applies to all usage of the images entered. We wouldn't have it any other way! I'm a staunch supporter of protecting photographers' rights.

feppe

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:07:56 pm »

I can assure you and all other photographers that the 'in connection with the competition' applies to all usage of the images entered. We wouldn't have it any other way! I'm a staunch supporter of protecting photographers' rights.

So why is it missing from 5.2., then? It looks like a loophole - IANAL, so I'd check with my lawyer before entering.

steve_watkins

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:57:35 am »

Just a simple oversight in that para, nothing sinister at all.

feppe

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:33:17 pm »

Just a simple oversight in that para, nothing sinister at all.

I would expect that to be fixed then. When will that happen?

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:32:33 pm »

Dem cows is still in da field.

Rob C

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:38:46 pm »

See 5.5.7

feppe

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 02:51:48 pm »

See 5.5.7

I acknowledged that in my post. It still leaves 5.2 (a higher-level section) which doesn't include the limiting stipulation.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:53:33 pm by feppe »

steve_watkins

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 10:14:38 am »

Call off the lawyers! I've amended the text on 5.2 to match 5.5 7. Just to reiterate, we would never abuse photographer's rights to their images. I've was a pro photographer for the 15 years before I took over at the mag, so am actually fighting an increasingly lonely battle in the publishing world to protect photographers' interests.

feppe

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 01:03:04 pm »

Call off the lawyers! I've amended the text on 5.2 to match 5.5 7. Just to reiterate, we would never abuse photographer's rights to their images. I've was a pro photographer for the 15 years before I took over at the mag, so am actually fighting an increasingly lonely battle in the publishing world to protect photographers' interests.

Thanks!

I in no way implied any malice. But there have been several threads of photo contests run by equally reputable companies which have had questionable or at least far-reaching rights... acquisition stipulations in their rules.

Glad to see the engagement and especially action!

Now that the lawyers have been called off, I'll check if I have anything worth the caliber you have on your mag to submit :)

steve_watkins

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:53:27 am »

No worries, it's good to have as many eyes out there as possible checking on things. The slow and subtle (often not so subtle, too) erosion of rights is a major issue for all photographers. There was a report out recently that photographers who retained copyright in their images, earned around 30% more than photographers who gave it away. So, it's not just the moral arguments for it, but also some very sound economic reasons, too.

You can read about the report here: http://www.epuk.org/News/959/industry-survey-keep-copyright-and-earn-33-more

Good luck if you do enter!

steve_watkins

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 05:36:00 am »

Hi there, apologies if you are having issues accessing the site.

If you go to this link http://www.opoty.co.uk and click on the Enter Now button, then it should allow you to go through the entry process.

Let me know if you are having any more problems.

The deadline is on Thursday, 30th September.

steve_watkins

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 04:48:18 am »

Just a heads up that the deadline is tomorrow (30th September) for entries for this year's competition.

steve_watkins

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 05:34:38 am »

Hi there, just to let you know that we have just announced the winners of the Outdoor Photographer of the year competition, and you can see the results online at www.opoty.co.uk (just click on the winners link at the top). Hope you enjoy them...
Pages: [1]   Go Up