Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CMYK files and searching via Filters  (Read 1766 times)

scott morrish

CMYK files and searching via Filters
« on: September 15, 2010, 04:55:44 am »

Good morning...

I have a question that has arisen whilst re-organising my images, and integrating CMYK files, now that LR3 can see them (hurray).

Is there a way that LR3 can indicate which files are CMYK?  Ideally this would be an option that was searchable (e.g. if you just want to see the CMYK files), and also visible in grid view (to help visually differentiate between them when all files are visible). Seeing the colour space would be very helpful, or failing that, the icc profile name.

I feel like i must be missing the obvious...

I appreciate any help,
Scott

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: CMYK files and searching via Filters
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:09:24 am »

I don't think you're missing anything. Is there anything in their file names that you could use in a smart collection? "Name contains cmyk" for instance.

scott morrish

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:38:04 am »

Is there anything in their file names that you could use in a smart collection?

yes... at least in most cases. I was looking for both the ease and speed, and the 'belts-and-braces rigour' of using metadata.
I guess it will be in an update... hopefully soon: once Adobe have allowed CMYK into the DB they have to facilitate identifying them quickly... otherwise confusion will abound for those of us who also have to work in CMYK!
Very glad to be able to include them in LR anyway: we just need to be very careful until this is added.

Thanks anyway,
Scott

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:10:53 am »

I wouldn't expect it in an update, and only in a future version if Adobe decide to put more development effort into Library....

It's more likely that one could do it via a plug-in. I don't know of one that does this already, and I can't see anything obvious in the documentation, but I don't think it's hugely challenging.

You're better off relying on a file naming discipline and a smart collection.

John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:46:56 am »

The embedded profile is metadata LR could show us. I hope that’s something we see in version 4. It would be useful even for just RGB users to find all the images in sRGB versus ProPhoto etc via a smart collection.

Currently, you’ll have to find all the CMYK documents and add a keyword or update the name or something.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:58:37 am »

should.

scott morrish

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 11:36:35 am »

Currently, you’ll have to find all the CMYK documents and add a keyword or update the name or something.

The knowledge that the profile information is already in the metadata, and that LR3 is referencing it anyway, (after all it knows if the file is RGB or CMYK for example), combined with the prospect of manually finding the files, and either key-wording them or changing the file names, is why i thought i must be missing something very obvious. I really hope this issue is addressed in an update soon.

Thanks for clarifying the matter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up