Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparing printer profling targets from eye-one match with PS CS5, mac  (Read 2293 times)

Roy

• http://

I am profiling an epson 4800. I understand and have carefully followed the advice on how to print targets from photoshop CS5 (/www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/solving.shtml). Just to compare, I tried printing the same TC 9.18 target directly from eye-one match. Quite different! Which should I trust?

Using OS 10.6.4, Epson driver 6.11, photoshop CS5 v12.0.1, eye-one match v3.6.3
Roy

Doyle Yoder

Re: Comparing printer profling targets from eye-one match with PS CS5, mac
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:46:14 am »

CS5 uses Apple's new printing path. Eye-one Match uses the old printing path. It would appear your getting double profiling when printing from CS5. This can happen if the 6.11 and 7.00 update are not properly installed, by removing all traces of old Epson drivers before doing the install.

At this point I would trust the profile target from Eye-one Match. If the Epson driver is properly installed then CS5 should print fine with a profile created from Eye-one Match with the Eye-one Match software. If it doesn't then you still have a problem with the driver install.

Roy

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:07:39 pm »

Doyle,

Any advice on the best way to remove all traces of the driver before installing?

Thanks.

Update,

I removed the old driver (after creating a bootable backup!) by first removing the printer in system preferences, and then going to HD>Library>Printers and trashing the Epson folder. I also edited the InstalledPrinters.plist file to remove the Epson printer (probably unnecessary as this file doesn't seem to be used by the current OS). I then downloaded and installed the 6.11 driver and the v7 updater (which confusingly, and as noted by Epson, does not update the driver version number).

Cut to the chase. New targets printed in CS5 look VERY different than the ones printed before the driver reinstall, and much more like what I am accustomed to. However, they do not look anything like the targets printed by eye-one match. The PS targets are much more saturated than the pale targets produced by eye-one. Tried printing a target in CS4 and visually it is identical to the target from CS5.

to be continued...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:05:51 pm by Roy »
Roy

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:56:57 pm »

In CS4 when opening the target file you should get the dialog where you can choose "Leave as is (don't color manage)". If you not getting that then you are altering the file. Now when printing use "No Color Management". This will work if the driver is functioning correctly. Color Matching should default to ColorSync, with No Color Adjustment. My guess is that the latest drivers for the 4800 still do not work correctly with this scenario. In the past this has been extensively discussed here and the workarounds.

Anyway I would just make my profiles with Eye-one Match. The Color Matching setting should be set to Epson Color Controls and then Color Setting should be OFF (No Color Adjustment). These profiles should be correct with CS4 and CS5.

How are the canned profile printing now from CS4 and CS5 since the new install of the drivers?

Doyle

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 05:31:18 pm »

The PS targets are much more saturated than the pale targets produced by eye-one. Tried printing a target in CS4 and visually it is identical to the target from CS5.
From a 4800 your targets should not look "pale".  I wouldn't trust them at all.

You should be able to get good targets from CS5 using the correct work around (and it sounds like you may be). A real issue for me has always been how to know if indeed a target is a good one.  When I was working with a Canon ipf6100, by profiles resulted in OK prints because I was printing using the same options, but the gamut of those profiles was far smaller than most users.  I was missing one setting nestled 3 dialog boxes down. It is sort of a challenge ... how do I "know" this target printed correctly?

Make sure you follow Eric's work around directions explicitly ... correctly "assigning" and "printing" with the exact same profile.  This is irregardless of the working space.  Some have made the mistake of thinking since their working space is AdobeRGB, they can simply print using AdobeRGB for the printer profile.  This won't work.  You must actually assign AdobeRGB to the target before your print it. In fact you can use any profile you want ... ProPhotoRGB works just as well, you just have to print with the same profile you assign.

Roy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 07:36:00 pm »

Success! And thanks for the help.

With the updated driver correctly installed, profile targets printed from eye-one are saturated and visually identical to the targets printed from CS5 and 4 (with one glitch, which I need to investigate further). So I will use the eye-one targets to build profiles and life should be good until Apple releases the next OS "upgrade" (grrrr). Sooner or later Apple will break the print path eye-one uses.

To address Wayne's comment: "It is sort of a challenge ... how do I "know" this target printed correctly?" I guess I am lucky to have two ways to print (PS and eye-one), plus some experience to know that my targets were printing too light. And I also now have confidence that PS is printing correctly.

I wonder how many folks there are with mangled printer drivers wondering why things don't seem quite right after the last OS update.

Now, after the flurry of target printing, off to the store to drop the best part of a grand on a new set of ink carts.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up