Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma lenses failing on new Sony bodies?  (Read 3279 times)

Ecolodger

• Oracle
Sigma lenses failing on new Sony bodies?
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:25:30 pm »

Hi folks  :D

Does anyone know what exactly is happening with the Sigma lenseson the new Sony bodies?
Is this a general isue related to this brand? Any references on Tamron??
Regards
Chris
A Proud owner of the Minolta  MD System...

ziocan

Re: Sigma lenses failing on new Sony bodies?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:19:29 pm »

I sounds like "natural selection" to me.
The weakest succumb while the strongest survive.

Anyone considering or using a Sony camera should use Sony and Zeiss lenses.
Sony cameras shine with their own lenses, using anything else, defeat the purpose of working with a Sony camera.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:11:04 pm »

I sounds like "natural selection" to me.
The weakest succumb while the strongest survive.

Anyone considering or using a Sony camera should use Sony and Zeiss lenses.
Sony cameras shine with their own lenses, using anything else, defeat the purpose of working with a Sony camera.

What's the basis for that claim? If Sony has their own RAW editor which applies some secret sauce, you might have a point, otherwise there should be no reason to use "off-brand" lenses on any camera. But does anyone actually use bundled RAW editors?

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 06:12:03 am »

@ziocan : how about some good old Minolta glass, works like a charm as far as I'm concerned ;D

In general, the incompatibility is only with the new SLT pellicle bodies (A33/55), not any of the (old or new) DSLR's there's a whole thread on Dyxum about it. Seems to have to do with aperture lever and the ROM protocol which Sigma will fix (if you have an A33/55) for all new and most older lenses. There might be some really old ones that they don't have the parts for anymore.
pieter, aka pegelli

ziocan

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 02:32:04 am »

My point is that sigma lenses, have not character. not mentioning that 1 out of 3 or 4 are decent copies.

The sony/minolta and zeiss lenses have their distinctive look, which make them different from Canon and Nikon. Using Sigma defeats the purpose of shooting with a Sony, as its images would look like taken with any other camera with a Sigma on front.
I could understand using Sigma lenses if they gave some interesting character to the images, but they are quite tame.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:33:40 am by ziocan »

Ecolodger

• Oracle
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:17:20 pm »

You know...I bought recently the Sigma 50mm 1.4

I do believe it's a good piece  of glass on my A700, but I wonder how it will don on the upcoming FF bodies...
A Proud owner of the Minolta  MD System...

scooby70

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:57:00 pm »

My point is that sigma lenses, have not character. not mentioning that 1 out of 3 or 4 are decent copies.
The sony/minolta and zeiss lenses have their distinctive look, which make them different from Canon and Nikon. Using Sigma defeats the purpose of shooting with a Sony, as its images would look like taken with any other camera with a Sigma on front.I could understand using Sigma lenses if they gave some interesting character to the images, but they are quite tame.

What a load of tosh. Sorry, but you've posted total tosh and I'll eat my shorts and yours if you can back up this claim with any reliable stats or perhaps even provide images to back up your wild claims.

I'm no Sigma fan boy. I'll buy whatever I think is best for me at the price I'm willing to pay. Amongst my little collection I have / have had lenses made by Sigma, Tamron, Canon, Voigtlander, Panasonic, Nikon and others and I can honestly say that the Sigma lenses that I have now are amongst the best lenses I've ever had, and all work perfectly and give good image quality.

scooby70

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:26 pm »

Hi folks  :D

Does anyone know what exactly is happening with the Sigma lenseson the new Sony bodies?
Is this a general isue related to this brand? Any references on Tamron??
Regards
Chris

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that some Sony bodies can strip the gears on some Sigma lenses. If that's the issue that your thinking of it may be worth Googling for info.

BTW. I too have a Sigma 50mm f1.4 and it performs well on my 5D. I also have the 85mm f1.4 and it's a cracking lens and even better than the 50mm.

Brad Barr

• Brads Wedding Website
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:55:32 pm »

What a load of tosh. Sorry, but you've posted total tosh and I'll eat my shorts and yours if you can back up this claim with any reliable stats or perhaps even provide images to back up your wild claims.

I'm no Sigma fan boy. I'll buy whatever I think is best for me at the price I'm willing to pay. Amongst my little collection I have / have had lenses made by Sigma, Tamron, Canon, Voigtlander, Panasonic, Nikon and others and I can honestly say that the Sigma lenses that I have now are amongst the best lenses I've ever had, and all work perfectly and give good image quality.
well actually.....several of sigma lenses do suffer from their lack of apparent consisitent mfg or quality control.  Its pretty well documented across many forums.  The siggy 50, for example..which i have and love, many have had to go thru several to get one thats a gem.  When they work, they are great.  I also have the 85 1.4 and it too is a gem.  The 120-300 2.8 however is a pos. Even their own sales rep said it was not capable when it came to tracking moving objects...ie sports action.  I returned that and got the nikon 2.8 afs...used which is simply in another league all together.  Its also much better than the sigma 300 2.8.

So...the guy did have some basis for that statement.  I like lenses that work and are sharp and quick.  Some of theirs do...others...well not so much.

The 150 2.8 macro is another stellar siggy...but most of their zooms are not anywhere close to the current crop of Nikon zooms, which are in many cases as sharp or sharper than most companies primes.
Brad
www.bciphoto.com
www.bci-sports.com
www.sportsshooter.com/photobrad

D3s, D3, D300, Nikon: 14-24 2.8, 24-120 f4VR 70-200VRII, 300 2.8, 400 2.8VR; 1.7-TC2, Siggy 50 & 85 1.4's + Spiderholster, D300 IR just for grins.

scooby70

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 05:52:57 pm »

And of course every report we read on line is a true first hand account posted by someone who's actually used the kit  :D

Pesonally I've owned the following Sigma lenses with no issues - 28-300mm, 12-24mm, 20mm f1.8, 30mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4 and 150mm f2.8. As I said I'm no fan boy and I have bought and still own (more than I do Siggy) lenses from other manufacturers. I don't doubt that Sigma sell some duff lenses but read some on line stats and you may be surprised what fails most and I simply do not believe that only one in three or four Sigma lenses are good. If that were true I'd expect Siggy to have long ago sunk without trace under the weight of warranty claims.

Whilst I haven't had any front/back focus issues myself I have seen others with poor technique (such as rocking backwards or forwards when taking a shot) blame the quipment, but trying to tell someone where they're going wrong is a dangerous game. As for trying lens after lens until you get a good one, consider the following...

http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths/
Pages: [1]   Go Up