Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Profiling Error: "Paper/LED Problem"  (Read 1750 times)

LGRRRB

Z3100 Profiling Error: "Paper/LED Problem"
« on: September 14, 2010, 08:50:29 pm »

I am attempting to profile a new material which is an extremely fine canvas. I selected presets on my Z3100 printer to be
Paper Category = Fine Art Material
Paper Type = Canvas

The printer prints the colored patches, lets them dry and then begins to scan the patches with its embedded Eye One Spectrophotometer but it quickly aborts and displays a message that there is a "Paper/LED Problem." I tried rereading the patches several times but always get the same error message.

Any ideas about a workaround that will allow me to read the patches and obtain a profile?

Thanks in advance,
Randall R Bresee
RandallRBreseePhoto.com

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Z3100 Profiling Error: "Paper/LED Problem"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:31:49 am »

Is the error reported for this medium only or does it happen with papers too?

Related to the "LED". The Spectrometer used in the Z models is more like the Isis than the Eye One and it is the light source, a white LED, that is used by both and not in the Eye One. Your "LED" error could point to a problem with the spectrometer or to an imcompatibility of that LED lightsource with the canvas if it does work correctly with paper.

One of the faults could be that canvas is too flexible to keep the right flatness/dimensions/position for the spectrometer reading. Either the spectrometer or the paper/head positioning sensor could give that error I guess but
check the Z3100 Service Manual available on the Wiki Z3100 pages for a better description of that error message.

http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Z3100+problems

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

LGRRRB

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:27:30 pm »

This was the first canvas material that I tried to print and I was told by a reliable source that the spectrophotometer in the Z3100 has some problems reading patches from canvas fabrics. I gave up trying and ordered an external spectrophotometer since I will be working with several different canvas materials in the near future.

Thanks for your reply, Ernst.

Randall R Bresee
www.RandallRBreseePhoto.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:48:44 pm »

This was the first canvas material that I tried to print and I was told by a reliable source that the spectrophotometer in the Z3100 has some problems reading patches from canvas fabrics. I gave up trying and ordered an external spectrophotometer since I will be working with several different canvas materials in the near future.

Thanks for your reply, Ernst.

Randall R Bresee
www.RandallRBreseePhoto.com

There's another good reason to use an external meter for canvas. A profile should be made of the canvas after it is varnished and that is not easy either with the internal spectro. It can be done but I use an Eye One for it.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up