Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji's new GF670W Rangefinder: Priceless?  (Read 7360 times)

MarkG

Fuji's new GF670W Rangefinder: Priceless?
« on: September 14, 2010, 12:30:21 pm »

Fuji announced their new GF670W at Photokina . . . and, no surprise, they did not announce its price.  On my blog, I discuss the pricing history of the GF670 and speculate on the factors that may shape the as yet unannounced price of Fuji's new camera.  You can read the post here: http://wp.me/ph0f6-3i

Mark

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Fuji's new GF670W Rangefinder: Priceless?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:26:26 pm »

Fuji announced their new GF670W at Photokina . . . and, no surprise, they did not announce its price.  On my blog, I discuss the pricing history of the GF670 and speculate on the factors that may shape the as yet unannounced price of Fuji's new camera.  You can read the post here: http://wp.me/ph0f6-3i

Mark

At Photokina? It starts a week from now.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 05:57:52 pm »

Looking at the pics, I wonder at the point of putting up anything that isn't as good a you can get it, this reference being to the lack of sharpening. Also odd that Leica 24mm lenses do 100 degrees, Nikon's only make around 80 something...

;-)

Rob C

Hondaker

Re: Fuji's new GF670W Rangefinder: what price?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:01:14 pm »

I would like to know what is the opinion of other users of the Fuji 667/Voigtlnder667 concerning the utility and price/value of the just announced 667W?  It would likely be a very well made camera and the finder/rangefinder very nice indeed if it's just like the 80mm 667 camera(s).  And it would cost about $2600 US.  Not inexpensive. 

A second question, somewhat related:  what has your experience been with the 667 camera?  Is it easy to use?  What about the quality, including hardware and image?  Do you shoot B/W or color, or both?  Process your own? 

Josef Isayo

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 02:36:53 pm »

I saw and played with the camera (Fuji) recently but was not impressed with it's build quality. Really flimsy for the price.
I much rather pick up a used Mamiya 6/7 or the GW series rangefinders.

Ken Tanaka

• http://www.KenTanaka.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51:26 pm »

I own a Fujifilm GF670 (non-W).  Frankly, I believe that part of the "flimsy feeling" perception is due to the very nature of the camera's design.  After all, when opened it's simply a bellowed container of...air.  Personally, I've found it to be a finely engineered camera, not flimsy at all.  But compared to the more massive slr-style body of a Mamiya 7 the GF670 will feel like air, containing only the most fundamental elements of picture-takin'.

Fun anecdote:  I was recently walking through a department store when I spotted what looked like an older model of the Fuji folder on a counter some distance from me.  As I approached I noticed that there looked to be not one, but TWO, of these cameras on the counter.  This store had nothing to do with photography but, damn, those cameras looked to be in pristine condition!  Erp!...They were bookends molded to look like "antique" cameras.
- Ken Tanaka -
 www.KenTanaka.com

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 12:01:04 am »

been shooting my ga645zi zoomer a bunch recently/again...i really wish there was a 645 digi version...I know its insane, but it feels so much better than a GF1 or a 5D with a 50mm...oh and there wouldn't be scramble for scans for the next show...

JV

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:36:39 am »

Film is not in my blood anymore, but those type of cameras still are.

+1

ondebanks

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:24 am »

Fuji's mimicry of the Plaubel Makina concept continues...80mm lens on a bellows-and-tongs 6x7 rangefinder? Check. 55mm f4.5 fixed lens on the wideangle variant? Check.

I also wonder why Voigtlander are still trading on the "Color Skopar" lens brand. This made sense when "Skopar" = "Tessar clone" and "Color" referred to rather good chromatic correction for its day (the 1940s). Now it's 2011; and they're putting that name on all sorts of lens designs - nothing like Tessars!

That's like stamping "Valve Tubes" on an LED flatscreen TV... ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up