Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subway platform  (Read 1886 times)

michswiss

Subway platform
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:15:11 am »

Link takes you a larger version in my gallery.

John R

Re: Subway platform
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:06:45 pm »

I think this image is really busy and lacks motif, a kind of focus. What is it that we as viewers are supposed to take from it? Whatever the people are doing is not that interesting and does not connect with the viewer IMO.

JMR

Stecyk

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:40:16 pm »

I disagree with John R.  When I look at the photograph, I find it interesting.

On the left hand side, we have people looking at the screen, most with an active interest.  One guy is bored or trying wake up while he is yawning.

On the opposite side, we have another group of people engrossed in something else.  Everyone there is paying attention to something.

There are two men in the middle that fit neither camp.  One has head down and is oblivious to all that surrounds him. The other one is watching you watching him.

On the elevator we see two more people descending the elevator. Which groups, if any, will they join?

I find it interesting that there are three clusters of people, all of whom appear to be strangers to one another.  I would expect a more random scattering.  Moreover, while the photograph isn't riveting, I find it interesting see how different people in different lands dress and act in their day-to-day lives.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:34:08 pm »

I like this as well, depth of story is very interesting.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:45:03 pm »

Love it.

Michael LS

• http://michaelshafitz.zenfolio.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:07:00 pm »

Just visited your Shanghai gallery- saw maybe 100 images so far.
High quality street work...great color in those shots!
Really enjoyed the trip; felt like I learned something about the people
and culture, too. You've put in some time on this, and it shows.
Looking forward to going back for another 100  ;)
[url=http://michaelshafitz.zenfolio.com/

michswiss

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 10:53:09 pm »

I think this image is really busy and lacks motif, a kind of focus. What is it that we as viewers are supposed to take from it? Whatever the people are doing is not that interesting and does not connect with the viewer IMO.

JMR

I love getting ripped into.  Thanks for the forthright feedback.  I know this isn't "My normal stuff."  It's too easy (at least for me) to get in close and I've recently started feeling it's formulaic thus I'm pushing myself.  One area I think I'm weak is painting larger scenes while keeping some emotional connection to the people in the city.

Thus one of the reasons I'm going to be active here.  You guys are the big scene champs.

michswiss

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:34:37 am »

Just visited your Shanghai gallery- saw maybe 100 images so far.
High quality street work...great color in those shots!
Really enjoyed the trip; felt like I learned something about the people
and culture, too. You've put in some time on this, and it shows.
Looking forward to going back for another 100  ;)

Thanks for looking.  The WiP 2010 gallery is sort of a dumping ground.  I try to keep it pruned to 200 images.  Pretty much everything I shoot passes through there until I decide if it's a keeper or not.  The shots are mainly in Shanghai, but there are other cities in the set as well: Ningbo, Hangzhou, Shenzhen, Guangzhou for example.  15Square is shot within a 15 square block area where I live in central Shanghai. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up