Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Papua New Guinea from Hasselblad H4d-60  (Read 16531 times)

Dick Roadnight

Re: Papua New Guinea from Hasselblad H4d-60
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 06:10:57 am »

...and what about the camera?

I have ordered an H4D-60.

Do you use the clever APL focusing function for this type of shot?

Did you try ambient? (Phocus is wonderful for highlights/shadows in hi-contrast scenes).

¿Surly the dark skins of the subjects do not give you more contrast than a typical wedding picture?

You avoided the ISO/camera shake/DOF problem by using flash, but what aperture/lens did you use? I have just received my 300mm.

How does the camera perform at high ISO?

¿and do the native know the difference between a £3,000 camera and a £30,000 camera?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:18:27 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Will Ophuis

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 12:02:16 am »

Nice shots, the sky in the second one bothers me though, There have been other people shooting in PNG with Medium Formats and they havn't been mugged, its all about being smart and not going into dangerous areas, I highly doubt the Natives would even know what a Medium Format is since most probably don't even have a T.V.
Hasselblad H4D-40.

www.williamophuis.com/blog

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 03:47:23 am »

Interesting view, Will.

I'm sure many people living in Somalia are not pirates either, but I don't want to sail there; I know that most families in the western world do have tv access or ownership, particularly in slum cities where it substitutes for living, and that even though the same denizens have no idea about the concept of Medium Format would certainly have the street smarts to understand that you were more worth killing for the MF bauble on your shoulder than if you were carrying a Brownie.

You underestimate eye-appeal. It travels well.

Rob C

Will Ophuis

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 09:57:57 am »

I was more pointing out that travelling to any place like this there is always going to be a risk, its more about being aware of your surroundings etc, Ive been to East Africa with expensive Canon gear and travelled around there quite a bit and never really felt in danger of my gear being stolen, As long as you're with a group of people you trust I don't really see it being an issue, there are a few top Aussie landscape photogs who have been to PNG multiple times with P65+s and I have only read good things about the places they have been (of course being cautious)

Cheers
Will.
Hasselblad H4D-40.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 10:10:08 am »

I was more pointing out that travelling to any place like this there is always going to be a risk,
Cheers
Will.
I have been to Africa, India, and Australia... and I think that the farther you are from populated areas, the safer you are.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 10:12:01 am »

...and what about the camera?

I have ordered an H4D-60.

Do you use the clever APL focusing function for this type of shot?

Did you try ambient? (Phocus is wonderful for highlights/shadows in hi-contrast scenes).

¿Surly the dark skins of the subjects do not give you more contrast than a typical wedding picture?

You avoided the ISO/camera shake/DOF problem by using flash, but what aperture/lens did you use? I have just received my 300mm.

How does the camera perform at high ISO?

Will Ophuis

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 10:15:25 am »

I have been to Africa, India, and Australia... and I think that the farther you are from populated areas, the safer you are.

I agree! I think the Native people living how they always have are the least likely to steal your gear, there are places where I live where im more scared for my gear then I was in poor parts of Africa!
Hasselblad H4D-40.

khunchild

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 04:13:55 am »

Hi Dick
Yes APL focus is excellent function !!! It is easy and accurate, I use it almost every shot.
APl function work well in high contrast scene,I use mostly 100 mm F2.2

POM

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 07:17:01 am »

Hi Dick
Yes APL focus is excellent function !!! It is easy and accurate, I use it almost every shot.
APl function work well in high contrast scene,I use mostly 100 mm F2.2

POM
Thanks...
Auto-focus lock and True Focus (for hand-held shooting) are, I think bigger advantages over the H3D11-50 than the res, especially when shooting 2 people side by side.

For Landscapes, the 60Mpx res will be great, as it will allow be to print 24" wide (Epson Stylus Pro 7900) at 360 original camera pixels per print inch.

Zenny

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 06:30:42 am »

@khunchild: Thanks for sharing hillarious images in terms of colour. What lighting equipment you used?

Since I am onto the visual ecology, do they still live like as shown in their daily life? I do second Klaban if this is not how they are.

zenny

***see http://www.thehumanape.org***
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up