Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusing screen  (Read 2159 times)

MarkoRepse

• www.markorepse.com
Focusing screen
« on: September 14, 2010, 07:42:21 am »

I'm thinking about getting a replacement focusing screen for my Mamiya RZ67 and would appreciate some advice. I have the standard matte screen with the crop lines which came with my leaf adapter. It is generally OK for focusing in the central area however the outer part of the screen is inaccurate in that respect. I was looking at the brightscreen linup, more precisely the plain matte #1 and #5 split image+microprism center. Has anyone used these? Is it possible to focus the #1 with precision on the whole area? I would prefer to be able to compose first then focus accurately instead of the other way around. How is the #5? I would be shooting mostly people digitally. Thanks!

tho_mas

Re: Focusing screen
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:16:43 am »

I use a screen of Brightscreen and 2 screens of Bill Maxwell ( http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html ).
Use them in a Contax, though.
My Brightscreen is the #4 as I wanted the smaller diameter of the split image and microprism colar.
The Bill Maxwell both have larger diameters of the focussing aids on the screens.
Though I like the Brightscreen the actual screen of Bill Maxwell is a bit brighter... and for off center focusing I would say the Maxwell is clearly better as the subjects being in focus pop in much better. However the rings (of the "grinding" or "polish" or whatever the correct term is...) are more pronounced on the Maxwell screen.

Here's a comparision of the two screens (the Maxwell without microprism colar).
Don't know how useful they are for you... but they show the somewhat more uneven grain of the Brightscreen and the bolder rings on the Maxwell.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:19:28 am by tho_mas »

Dragomir Spassov

• http://www.bliss.bg/
Re: Focusing screen
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:21:59 am »

I have a Maxwell's HILUX screen on 645 system. Feel as a big improvement, and now, can't miss a focus even with my slowest lens. My preferences are the plain screens (without any prisms and other optical helpers), because I shoot a peoples and don't recompose. Have no time, and as you know, the recomposing technique lead focus errors, so I was at need of a screen with excellent abilities to rend maximum detail and contrast off center. Bill Maxwell does for me.
Hope it was helpful.
Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up