Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to go in Ireland What not to miss?  (Read 5151 times)

cottagehunter

Where to go in Ireland What not to miss?
« on: September 13, 2010, 08:59:42 pm »

The wife (Mrs. Murphy nee Larkin )and I are starting to plan a trip to Ireland next May plan to be 4-5 weeks. In 2009 we traveled Spain  after posting a request on here of what not to miss it was certainly helpful and I am hoping for the same type of response for this trip.

Richard Morwood

Re: Where to go in Ireland What not to miss?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:08:23 pm »

All of Ireland (North and South) or a more specific area?
Regards
Richard

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:42:50 pm »

Howth just north of Dublin.

cottagehunter

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:46:08 pm »

All of Ireland don't know enough to get into specific areas that's why I'm asking.

Tks

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:35:30 am »

All of Ireland don't know enough to get into specific areas that's why I'm asking.

Tks
The far South West, for rugged coastline and nice old (concrete-free) Harbours, like Cornwall.

Feppe's picture is mainly concrete, but there is a bit of "Old Ireland" at the extreme left.

I think there are some nice buildings in Dublin.

Old towns for townscapes.

You may want to find some traditional Irish dancers in costume, or modern revelers "out on the town"

Ashley Morison's website Ampimage is mainly interiors, but mainly Ireland, and is worth a look.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:40:32 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Richard Morwood

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:16:13 am »

The south west is beautiful. The Burren is well worth a visit and travelling north to Connemara is (for me anyway) "old Ireland" (whitewashed cottages, piles of turf, etc, and stunning beaches). In fact most of the west coast has fabulous beaches to photograph, Sligo and Donegall too.
The North coast has the Giants Causeway and more great coastline and the Coast Road from Belfast north to the Giants Causeway is well worth driving.
The lakes an Enniskillen (Lough Erne - upper and lower), Strangford lough, Murlough beach near Newcastle, and the Mourne Mountains are all worth a visit.
As Cities go Dublin is more appealing to me that Belfast (perhaps because I work in the latter). Whilst Belfast has changed dramatically over the last decade, Dublin is still much more cosmopolitan and I think has more to see and photograph. I feel it has more of a buzz about it, more vibrant.
I'm sure there are plenty of other destinations I have omitted and hopefully others will be able to add to these suggestions.
Regards
Richard

Kathy

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:42:00 pm »

Hi
I agree with Richard's recommendations and these are some of my favourites.

Kerry - it's all great but I would concentrate on the lakes and mountains around Killarney. Then to the coast, the whole South Kerry coast is wonderfull but do take in Kenmare, Waterville and the Dingle Peninsula. If you have time and the weather is OK take a boat trip out to the Blasket isles. Also take the road across the Dingle Peninsula from Dingle to Kilcummin over the Connar Pass, spectacular views especially at sunset. Great seafood and Irish music in Dingle. Also great golf courses in Killarney, Tralee and Ballybunion has (they say) the best links course in the world. If you like the Kerry landscapes and want more then continue along the Cork coast.

Clare - use the car ferry from Tarbert to Killimer to cross from Kerry to Clare. The Cliffs of Moher and the Burren are both worth a short visit, and the unique flora of the Burren should be in bloom in May.

Galway - for a taste of Irish city life Galway City has a lot to offer. Connemare offers great scenery both coastal and inland, just explore the little roads down to the little fishing villages. Cliften is a good location for accomodation. A visit to Connemara National Park is worthwhile if you are prepared to take the walk to the top of the hill, the views are stunning. Inland the lakes Lough Mask amd Lough Corrib are very pretty.

Mayo - Westport offers a good choice of accomodation, resturants and music. Clew Bay is said to have an island for every day in the year. I have been there twice and both times the Bay was shrouded in mist. If you want cliff scenery and long golden beaches then Achill Island (connected to the mainland by bridge) has some of the best. There are some great walks one taking in a deserted village offering some great photo opportunities.

May is a good time to visit Ireland and the west coast is in my opinion the best part of it. Staying 4 to 5 weeks will give you the opportunity to explore most of the island but keep in mind that you will be travelling mainly on slow country roads to get to the best landscapes. At that time of year you will be able to book accommodation as you travel, get a good directory from the Irish tourist board, I found the B&Bs excellent. Do take good waterproof gear for yourself and your camera as the west coast does have periods of heavy rain even in summer.
Have a good trip.
Kathy

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:09:55 pm »

I went with a small group of other photographers in the summer of '08 and stayed here:

http://www.mtcashel.com/

Beautiful location on a 40 acre farm.  We used that as a base and took various day trips from there to various locations mostly around County Clare.  As others have said, the west coast is pretty amazing.  While the scenery and atmosphere were very special... the thing everyone on our trip talked about by far more than anything else was the hospitality of the people we met.  Everywhere we went... without exception... we were treated not just politely but were helped by people who would go far out of their way to insure that we felt not as a "guest" or "tourist" but as part of the community.  Where ever you go (you can't go wrong) allow yourself a slow pace and plenty of time in some of the smaller rural communities to simply sample their everyday life.  Some of my most enjoyable experiences were walks by myself down country roads where I really had little idea of where I was going or what I'd see.  People I met along the way could not have been nicer or friendlier.

Especially in Ireland, a lot of time in a few places if far preferable to a lot of places in a little time.

The group I traveled with enjoyed it enough that we've booked a return to the same location for next summer.

Bob Smith

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:04 pm »

Especially in Ireland, a lot of time in a few places if far preferable to a lot of places in a little time.

I agree. You have plenty of time and Ireland is not a large place, but it can take a long time to travel a short distance in the country areas. I agree with the locations mentioned by Kathy and Richard, and put in my 0.02c for the Antrim coast and the south west.
Pages: [1]   Go Up