Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spectraview ii & PA271W Guidance on critical CM for reproducing original art.  (Read 3764 times)

dnmiller4

Been using the Mitsubishi 2060u with both the i1 Match 3.6.3, and the Coloreyes Display Pro.  The spectrophotometer is Rev A i1 Pro.  I am used to how these softwares are used.

Now I have the PA271w, with the downloaded Spectraview ii software.   I am using the same i1 Pro for measurements.

My job is to reproduce as accurately as possible, clients original art.  Oil, pastel, watercolor, charcoals.  (I guarantee nothing will be 100% perfect)

There are so many choices with Spectraview ii software, I am requesting guidance on what settings to use for critical CM in reproducing others original intellectual property.

Andrew, I sure would appreciate your input.

Cheers

David

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

If you want to produce a visual match from display to the viewing both next to the display, nothing new here, play around with the settings until you get a visual match. Set luminance first, then tweak white point (gamma you can leave at 2.2). I assume your initial goal is to get that elusive WYSIWYG between display and print. Once the display is out of the equation, move the print wherever you plan to show it to your client, perhaps with the original, again using the best possible illuminant, that ideally matches what you were using by the display. And yes, its not going to be perfect (matching artwork is the toughest job out there).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tho_mas

There are so many choices with Spectraview ii software, I am requesting guidance on what settings to use for critical CM in reproducing others original intellectual property.
I don't know the software but the other day I've learned in another thread here that the software can choose to calibrate with priority to "contrast" or "greyscale". I know this feature from my own calibration software and to set it to "greyscale" is mandatory for you.
There is also a setting to extend the time range the puck measures dark tonal values and I would recommend to enable that feature, especially with an i1Pro. There is also a setting to measure a higher number of target colors which I'd recommend to check, too.
Finally don't set the black level to the lowest black but to the lowest neutral black (otherwise the blacks are not included in the greyscale calibration... which can cause color cast in the blacks).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:45:31 pm by tho_mas »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

There is a preference for “Best Grayscale color tracking” which I have on (text says: Improves color tracking of Grayscale near Absolute black at the expense of a slightly increased Black Level (reduced contrast)). Doing so removes the “Maximize Contrast Ratio” radio button option. I suspect most users here would prefer better gray tracking and not want whatever the max contrast ratio available since its got to be far greater than any print.

Then you can select as a calibration target a contrast ratio (300:1, 250:1, whatever you wish to type in).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tho_mas

There is a preference for “Best Grayscale color tracking” which I have on (text says: Improves color tracking of Grayscale near Absolute black at the expense of a slightly increased Black Level (reduced contrast)). Doing so removes the “Maximize Contrast Ratio” radio button option.
neat feature that the "contrast" mode is disabled automatically. Stupid Color Navigator will let you set "greyscale" priority but still leaves the blacks at absolut minimum (apparently)... you still have to set the black level manually for most neutral blacks.

dnmiller4

Thank you Andrew and Tho_mas.  

I now use 90cd/m2, 2.2 gamma, 65K, and "Default" for contrast.

In preferences, I have "52" for the number of reads (I guess).  "Factory measurements" for the source of the primary color chromaticities for ICC profile. And finally, I use Best Grayscale Color Tracking.  Thus I use '"default" for contrast.   Andrew, I just started looking at finished but not cured canvas prints.  I am trying what you write.  

How important is it to use "best grayscale color tracking" rather than another choice?  And, "Factory measurements?     

Other suggestions and thoughts, please.  

Cheers,

David  

(With the 2060u, for years, I had been using 70cd/m2, and 5000K.     Just the way I learned
in my earlier years.)  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:42:44 pm by dnmiller4 »

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com

FYI - with the PA series, the "Calibration Priority" setting in the software is not used since it is handled automatically by the display now. Also with the PA series, the number of Calibration/Profile steps will not impact the accuracy of the calibration unless you are using a non-gamma value (i.e. a custom curve and not 2.2 etc), so you can leave it at 32.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

dnmiller4

Thank you Will.

Regarding:  FYI - "FYI - with the PA series, the "Calibration Priority" setting in the software"

Where do I find the "Calibration Priority"?

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com

It's a setting in the Preferences (Calibration tab), but is not relevant for the PA series.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

tho_mas

FYI - with the PA series, the "Calibration Priority" setting in the software is not used since it is handled automatically by the display now. Also with the PA series, the number of Calibration/Profile steps will not impact the accuracy of the calibration unless you are using a non-gamma value (i.e. a custom curve and not 2.2 etc), so you can leave it at 32.
could you please elaborate further?
Does this mean on the PA series you can't really calibrate the greyscale (other than globally adjusting the white point)? So the software refers to set of predefined tables in the monitor?

dnmiller4

Re: Spectraview ii & PA271W Guidance on critical CM for reproducing original art.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 09:31:40 pm »

Another question:   I leave my displays on continuously.  For the PA271W, I attempted to dim it to 20cd/m2.  However, the Spectraview ii  chooses 40cd/m2 for me.   Is there a simple way to dim this NEC display to a lower value and not touch the NEC's physical controls?

70cd/m2 and 6500K are my routine settings for PS and other work flows.    I tried 90cd/m2.   Also 5000K with both cd/m2.   In my environment, 6500K with 70cd/m2 matches (if that is what it can be called) the output of my Epson Pro 9600 with matte black ink.

Printer driver is Gutenprint v5.2.6, and I use the G5 Mac duo 2.3 with OS 10.5.8.  All substrates are custom .icc profiled by me.

Cheers,

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up