Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's new  (Read 4483 times)

DarkPenguin

What's new
« on: September 13, 2010, 08:51:06 am »

The "What's new" link on the side bar works.   The "What's new" link under the picture leads to a (mostly) blank page.  FF 3.6.9 if that matters.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Always Be Closing ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:27:23 am »

Is it really necessary to have a massive LL LR3 Tutorial ad in every single entry ?  Looks a bit cheap, in my opinion.
--
David Mantripp

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: What's new
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:50:03 am »

I think (hope) they are still tweaking. Both "what's new" links now seem to go to the same place (on Opera), although they didn't a couple of days ago.

I agree that the banner with the ads is intrusive at this size. I hope it can at least be made somewhat smaller.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

michael

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:49:43 pm »

At the risk of stating the obvious - advertising sells.

When we have big ads, we sell more products. When we have smaller ads we sell less products. When we have no ads, we sell no products.

Esthetically I agree. From a business perspective, I can't.

Michael

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:51:52 pm »

At the risk of stating the obvious - advertising sells...

Ah, yes, the Econ 101.. can't wait to see the changes to the site once you discover the chapter on what sells even better (hint: a three-letter word, starting with S and ending with X) :) :) :)

TimG

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 12:19:04 am »

SOX?   ;D

michael

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52:37 am »

SUX?

TimG

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 12:22:16 pm »

Definitely...Advertising SUX.  It's one of those things I (you) need to do as a business owner, but hate to do all the same.  No matter how much thought goes into it, something's always going to be off - placement, size, visibility, etc.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 07:16:45 pm »

Call it what you will, among all the resources this site has, I can't think of many more valuable and usefull than the videos.....

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:33:19 am »

Personally I tend to ignore banner ads - especially large and obtrusive ones - but that's just me.  For marketing, however, I recommend Seth Godin: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/  He has several excellent books, and his blog posts are always short and very direct.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

englishm

• http://www.pacificlight.ca
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 01:58:11 am »

Sheesh guys... why beat on Michael for a few lousy ads?  He provides this site and (almost) all of its extensive content, as well as access to guys like Jeff Schewe and Andrew Rodney... for free... charges you nothing; Nada.

You want the meal? So what if you gotta listen to the message?

It's his sandbox after all.
Mark English
[url=http://www.pacificligh

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 06:59:56 am »

+1
A common woman~

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 05:17:46 pm »

Can't disagree with the business drivers, but since I'm usually in the middle of discussions like this at least once or twice a week, and have gone oout and got real world evidence to verify prejudiced viewpoints ...  it does seem to be the case that there is a balance between doing enough advertising to meet business needs, and doing so much that it actually has the reverse effect. 

If you have a big banner under every article, it may end up reinforcing the impression that some have that the quality and amount of editorial content is going down (I don't believe it is).  None of my business, really, but the Always Be Closing "hard sell" model of advertising tends to be associated with less, er, salubrious parts of the internet....

--
David Mantripp

stamper

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 04:30:28 am »

I used to subscribe to an angling forum that had large banner ads. A fault in the layout of the forum meant that they cascaded down the page and the owner had difficulties in sorting the problem. He made it known that he needed the money to run the site. When I asked on the forum if the money was to cover costs or make money on top of costs I was banned for questioning his "honesty". So I won't comment on Michael's motives because I don't want to return to dpreview. ;D 8) ::)

michael

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 08:43:27 am »

I have no problem with people questioning either our motives or our financial model, so don't fear being banished to the forums at DPReview. That would be cruel and unusual punishment.  :)

We do what we do after some considerable thought, analysis of historical trends, decades of business experience, and looking at what our peers are currently doing.

LuLa is both a labor of love and a business. I'd be happy to continue to do it for love if some benefactor would like to write a large check every year to cover our expenses and salaries. Until that day we will continue to use our best judgement on how to do our advertising.
Pages: [1]   Go Up