Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MT, ID Rockies & Oregon coast  (Read 4287 times)

Edward

MT, ID Rockies & Oregon coast
« on: August 25, 2003, 03:35:40 pm »

The old riverfronts and ports on the Oregon rivers that enter the ocean on the southern coast.  Explore the towns on the river up a few miles from the coast as well.  The south coast is much less developed until you get well into CA.

jdemott

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 04:43:24 pm »

In Northeastern Oregon--Hells Canyon (which is spectacular either from the rim or from the bottom) and the Wallowa Mountains, called by some the Alps of North America (near Joseph).

I particularly like the area just southeast of Pendleton, Oregon.  There are beautiful rolling wheat fields rising up to timbered mountain areas.

Along the Columbia River, the Columbia River Gorge and its waterfalls.  Spend the time to take a couple hikes to really see it.  One of the classic photo spots for a grand view is from the Portland Women's Forum Park at the western end of the gorge.

At the mouth of the Columbia, the town of Astoria is very historic.  Many attractive, old Victorian homes on the hill.  Decaying piers and other interesting scenes to photograph along the waterfront.  Nearby Fort Stevens State Park has interesting tidal marshes that I have enjoyed photographing.

There are several lighthouses along the Oregon coast.  The Yaquina lighthouse north of Newport is quite attractive and there are interesting tidal pools nearby to visit at low tide.

The Oregon Dunes are near Florence.

There are attractive photo opportunities all along the coast.  It just depends onthe weather and the time of day.  You won't lack for things to do or to photograph.  Have fun.
John DeMott

Ralph M. Wagner

• http://
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 09:00:37 pm »

I will be leaving the Midwest in a couple of weeks and instead of going my usual route out to the Southwest (NM, AZ NV) I am going go out through Montana to see some friends and then over the Rockies probably through Lolo Pass and then through ID to pick up the Columbia River to the Pacific and spend about 3 weeks along the coastline in OR. Anybody knowing good photo opts (other than the usual NPs) along this general route I would appreciate you passing it on to me.

Thanks for looking

--RW

Ralph M. Wagner

• http://
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 10:35:18 pm »

Thanks Edward, I will check your suggestions out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up