Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider Apo-Digitar 47XL on Sinar P3 or P2  (Read 3950 times)

Dick Roadnight

Schneider Apo-Digitar 47XL on Sinar P3 or P2
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:48:57 am »

I have a Schneider Super-Angulon 47XL in a P2 lensboard, but it would not fit far enough back into a P3 board for infinity focus.

I have bag bellows for P2 and P3, and P2/P3 conversion bellows, but not a conversion bag bellows.

I hope this lens will fit on the Sinar and allow me full movements, and very wide angle with shift-and-stitch.

Does anyone know of a Schneider Apo-Digitar 47XL on a Sinar P3 or P2?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: Schneider Apo-Digitar 47XL on Sinar P3 or P2
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 02:11:46 pm »

I have a Schneider Super-Angulon 47XL in a P2 lensboard, but it would not fit far enough back into a P3 board for infinity focus.

I have bag bellows for P2 and P3, and P2/P3 conversion bellows, but not a conversion bag bellows.

I hope this lens will fit on the Sinar and allow me full movements, and very wide angle with shift-and-stitch.

Don't quote me but I think that on the P3 it'll only work if you use the deepest recessed lens board and the Sinar sliding back which does away with the rear standard (http://bit.ly/aq3gKM)

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 11:33:45 pm »

As far as I know, your existing options include (for 47XL Digitar) either the P3 Custom Recessed Board that I approached SK Grimes about making some 4 years ago for one of my clients, or a Sinar Digital Lens in Sinar Recessed Board. Sinar does not sell stand alone recessed boards for the P3, that I know of.

http://skgrimes.com/thisweek/1-16-06/index.htm

The advantage of the SK Grimes solution is cost, the disadvantage is the difficulty of changing the aperture and securing the sync cable due to the deep recess. The advantage of the Sinar is easy access to aperture/sync post. However, the options Sinar offers at that focal length do not provide as much image circle coverage as the 47 Digitar XL.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:44:36 am »

As far as I know, your existing options include (for 47XL Digitar) either the P3 Custom Recessed Board that I approached SK Grimes about making some 4 years ago for one of my clients, or a Sinar Digital Lens in Sinar Recessed Board. Sinar does not sell stand alone recessed boards for the P3, that I know of.

http://skgrimes.com/thisweek/1-16-06/index.htm

The advantage of the SK Grimes solution is cost, the disadvantage is the difficulty of changing the aperture and securing the sync cable due to the deep recess. The advantage of the Sinar is easy access to aperture/sync post. However, the options Sinar offers at that focal length do not provide as much image circle coverage as the 47 Digitar XL.

Steve Hendrix

Thanx, Steve...

With the image circle of the 47XL, I think I can do without anything wider (than 100 degrees) if I can stitch to use the whole 98-113mm image circle.

...but can I use a sliding back with this set up?

My P3 was converted from a P2, so it has more movement than a standard P3, so I might almost have enough camera shift, vertically anyway.

It would be nice to use the P3, but the P2 is another option... and I could use a mask on the 5 * 4 ground glass with the bino viewer (even if I had to re-focus with live view).

One option might be a lensboard or two with offset holes for digiback adapters.

I am thinking of putting a set of Apo-Digitars in electronic Shutters ¿eShutter? and this would solve many problems... and allow me to use it on my 10m tripod. (remote stitching would be nice).
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Fritzer

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 12:43:15 pm »

I'm using the 47XL on a recessed Horseman lens board, on a P2; works quite well, but as Steve said, operating the (Copal) aperture isn't fun.
But that's true for all recessed boards with that kind of shutter.

Movements are well usable, though a little limited, due to the P2 standard design.

I'm using it with a Calumet sliding adapter, and a Leaf Aptus 75.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:44:50 pm by Fritzer »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 01:14:15 pm »

Thanx, Steve...

With the image circle of the 47XL, I think I can do without anything wider (than 100 degrees) if I can stitch to use the whole 98-113mm image circle.

...but can I use a sliding back with this set up?

My P3 was converted from a P2, so it has more movement than a standard P3, so I might almost have enough camera shift, vertically anyway.

It would be nice to use the P3, but the P2 is another option... and I could use a mask on the 5 * 4 ground glass with the bino viewer (even if I had to re-focus with live view).

One option might be a lensboard or two with offset holes for digiback adapters.

I am thinking of putting a set of Apo-Digitars in electronic Shutters ¿eShutter? and this would solve many problems... and allow me to use it on my 10m tripod. (remote stitching would be nice).

I should have mentioned, at least with the SK Grimes boards, the Sinar Sliding Back would have to be utilized, as it replaces the rear frame of the P3, and so the imaging plane sits in the same position. If you mounted a KaptureGroup Sliding Back, it would have to mount in the rear frame, which would extend the imaging plane backward about a half inch, which takes some lenses out of range for focussing (pretty sure the 35XL, and I think the 47mm, certainly at least would limit it).

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:23:09 pm »

I should have mentioned, at least with the SK Grimes boards, the Sinar Sliding Back would have to be utilized, as it replaces the rear frame of the P3, and so the imaging plane sits in the same position. If you mounted a KaptureGroup Sliding Back, it would have to mount in the rear frame, which would extend the imaging plane backward about a half inch, which takes some lenses out of range for focussing (pretty sure the 35XL, and I think the 47mm, certainly at least would limit it).

Steve Hendrix

I was actually worried about this with the Rodenstock apo-sironar 35. I'm fairly certain it will not focus with the toyo recessed board on my vx23d with a kapture group sliding back.
Because there aren't many using the same camera, I'm pretty sure I will need to find out by trial and error.
Pages: [1]   Go Up