Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colorado Wildfires  (Read 2382 times)

treyhoff

Colorado Wildfires
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:10:49 pm »

Does anyone know if the Boulder fire is creating smoke in southwestern Colorado? or is the wind pushing it to the east.  I'm planning a fall colors trip in the San Jaun Mountains, Mesa Verde and Maroon Bells.

I've seen some recently posted photos of the fire and it's just sad that all those homes were lost.

Thanks

lightstand

Re: Colorado Wildfires
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 02:46:54 pm »

First I am on the East coast with no first hand knowledge of the actual situation.  I have worked at Mesa Verde many many years ago during fire season and can't see a problem for smoke being that far west with most of the weather pattern to normally be eastward.  Second with the elevation found in CO the cooler nights of September are going to put this fire out quickly (July August are a different story)

You should have some incredible sunrises

p.s. the reason I answered was no-one had answered and I didn't want you to cancel a great trip because of any media reports, hopefully someone will answer who's living locally. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:30:24 pm by lightstand »

sertsa

• some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:19:48 am »

No smoke currently in SW Colorado.  Boulder is along way and there would have to be some unusual winds for that to occur.

FYI, first small signs of oaks changing in the past few days, aspens are a few weeks off yet.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:24:00 am by sertsa »

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:57:41 pm »

Seems to me that the smoke might make the sunrise and sunset more spectacular.  Bad weather is typically a good thing for landscape/vista work.

treyhoff

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 11:01:52 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  Leaving Sept 25th....can't wait!
Pages: [1]   Go Up