Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting from LR3 for the web  (Read 1624 times)

Robert Katz

Exporting from LR3 for the web
« on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:00 pm »

I am doing some photo editing for folks setting up a website.   The web folks are asking for image size of about 450 x360 and a kb of around 20!
I have lowered the quality down to 10, set the resolution at 72 dpi and LR will not make the image that small. Further the images at such low quality do not look good at all. Yet when I went a website that web folks said I should use an example there are images that are 20kb and look pretty good.
Am I missing something?
Txs
Robert
Robert Katz
Robert Katz Photography

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Exporting from LR3 for the web
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:29:01 am »

I assume that you are doing this through the LR print module.  You should be able to meet their specifications by setting a custom file size of 6.25 x 5 inches with the dpi output of 72.  You are correct that you have to dial the resolution way down to about 10.  I did this on an image and did get down to 20 KB.  I have know idea why they specify this as you are correct in terms of image degradation.  It is not clear to me given that web storage space should not be much of an issue.  The only real issue that I have with web sizing is to make sure that the images fit the required space on the web page and I'm not terribly concerned about the file size as images from the LR web module always load quite fast.  I just checked to see what my large image size is on my site (created through the web module which automates everything) and they range from about 130 to 380 KB depending on the image (using a quality setting of 70).  For my home page, I've created a template that gives me the correct image size.  I'm surprised that they have a 20 KB image that looks good but maybe it was created some other way.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:44:14 am »

Did you check "minimize metadata" at the end of the list?

Otherwise, you can generate the images from the web module : export to disk and then the images are in a subfolder (generally named "images" ;) ).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Robert Katz

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:59:15 am »

Appreciate the suggestions. Actually, I was using Export in the Library module.
The suggestion to check Minimize Metadata made the difference.  I was able to export images with 20-40 kb that look
very good on the web.
Robert
Robert Katz
Robert Katz Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up