Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick's report on the 645D  (Read 2525 times)

tsjanik

Nick's report on the 645D
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:45:26 pm »

Hi Nick:

I know there is an existing thread on the 645D, but as far as I know, no one thanked you for the report. So, once again thanks for your review (I appreciated your Nokton review as well).  If I missed someone's thanks, I apologize - don't flame me.
The amount of exposure the 645D is getting in Canada seems to indicate that it might be available there soon, are you aware of any timelines? I have a particular interest, since I’m planning to travel to Japan in December and will purchase a 645D, unless it’s likely to be available in North America in the near future.

Regarding the lens availability for the 645, you neglected to mention the 55-110mm zoom and, more importantly, the 600mm A*. At the risk of being really irritating, I’ll point out that 45-90mm is a 45-85mm zoom.

Tom

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Re: Nick's report on the 645D
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:38:54 pm »

The video brings an entire new meaning to the terminology "getting gouged"  ;D

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:05:45 am »

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the kind words. I will resist the temptation to flame you  ;)  I didn't mention the 55-110mm only because I don't own one, and it is a bit slow for my tastes. It is also a very hard lens to find. I don't know how useful a zoom range it will be with the 1.3x crop factor, either. I will try one at some point for sure, but I think the 45-85mm is a better bet as a standard lens, unless there are any optical performance issues. I didn't mention the long teles for lack of time, but also they are hard to use on digital. Getting sharp images with them is extremely difficult without a very large tripod or very high shutter speed.

Of course, their existence is another big plus for the 645D - on that I couldn't agree more.

As for exposure....that's more because I have been trying to drag Pentax out into the rest of the world on this one, somewhat kicking and screaming. The answer on availability seems to be 'when we're good and ready'.  For sure not before October, but my guess in closer to the end of Q4. This is not because of any problems, but as best as I can figure it because of (i) demand in Japan (ii) production constraints and (iii) distribution and support issues. Buyers of a $10K camera expect a certain level of service, and figuring out how to get that in place on four continents is no mean feat.

I was within milimetres of buying one out of Japan myself, but held off because of warranty issues. Contrary to popular misconception, people like Michael an I actually buy our gear with our own money, and this would be a major investment for me.  While Pentax Canada has been excellent to deal with, they couldn't fix a broken 645D right now, even if they wanted to.  On a $10K+ purchase of bleeding-edge technology, that's more risk than I was comfortable with (same reasoning that would keep me from ever buying a later-model MF back from anyone but a dealer).

But soon........I think Pentax has harkened to the level of demand out here, and we will see the camera as soon as realistically possible. 

- N.   
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:42:35 am »

Who cared about that "game-changer" Pentax?

When I watched the video, I saw 2 guys with their glass of Bordeaux or Bourgogne having good time in a beautifull flowered garden! Did you really noticed the Pentax? I did not...
Just a swimming pool was missing in this decoration, and it was probably behind Chris, or even better....Chris was actually filming from inside the pool in a perfectly
controled water temp. I thing they did not put the champagne for provocation reasons.
It reminds me my friend photographer Pepe coming exhausted after a fashion shot in the Canarians island, and when I watched the making-of of him shooting with the Canon inside a 5 star hotel swimming pool...

One day in a non serious thread I said that this website will soon present us the camera testings from the Caraibes, or Tahiti: this Pentax video was the first step guys.
First a complete relooking of the website, wich is generally the first step of more profund and fancy (r)evolutions.

The day will see Michael in a Mexico safari on a top of a range-rover, sorry a BMW 4x4 (the range is now sooo updated) surrounded by beautifull mexican girls faning with palm trees, a glass of Bacardy in one hand and a 200MP brand new phase in the other is not far beleive me.

This is much more interesting than the bloody Pentax really. These guys understand something...the meaning of life: why bother?

I wonder if they recrut in Lu-La. I'll send my CV right now.
-I can: drive boats, planes and motorcycles
-Swimm
-translate into french from the swimming pool
and open the wine bottles...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:36:57 pm by fredjeang »

michael

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:13:12 am »

Ah, the fantasies.

No pool. No girls. Tiny city garden. You're looking at about half of it.

The rest is mostly a dog run full of poop.

The wine was a modest Autralian Cab.

Dream on.

Michael

fredjeang

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:25:47 am »

See what virtual reality has made to us?

Just a peice of video can hold an unlimited number of fantasy.
And fantasy is as truth as the truth itself, somewhere more powerfull or we would be free of advertisings.

Ok, no swimming pool, no girls and no Bx wine. :-[

May I think a little bit more before sending my CV? ;)

Cheers.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:57:04 pm »

The day will see Michael in a Mexico safari on a top of a range-rover, sorry a BMW 4x4 (the range is now sooo updated) surrounded by beautifull mexican girls faning with palm trees, a glass of Bacardy in one hand and a 200MP brand new phase in the other is not far beleive me.
Surely you meant tequila.
Pages: [1]   Go Up