Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer Files to new Hard-Drive  (Read 1503 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Transfer Files to new Hard-Drive
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:12:13 pm »

I'll soon be transferring a large number of files (essentially a directory tree and all its sub-directories and files within) from a smaller drive (almost full) to a new larger drive.  I fully expect that the current drive is "somewhat" fragmented.

Does anyone know that if in the act of transferring all these directories and files from a fragmented drive onto a brand new drive, that the directories/files on the new drive will be defragmented or will they remain fragmented as before meaning I will then need to defrag the new drive after the transfer.

Running Windows 7 for what that is worth.

Thanks, 
[size=12p

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Transfer Files to new Hard-Drive
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:22:31 pm »

I'll soon be transferring a large number of files (essentially a directory tree and all its sub-directories and files within) from a smaller drive (almost full) to a new larger drive.  I fully expect that the current drive is "somewhat" fragmented.

Does anyone know that if in the act of transferring all these directories and files from a fragmented drive onto a brand new drive, that the directories/files on the new drive will be defragmented or will they remain fragmented as before meaning I will then need to defrag the new drive after the transfer.

Running Windows 7 for what that is worth.

Thanks, 

They will become unfragmented on the new drive - you're copying the files, not their structure.

By the way, Win 7 has built-in defrag which can be set to run on schedule (ie. during the night). Not sure if all versions have it, but at least 64-bit Ultimate does.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Re: Transfer Files to new Hard-Drive
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:26:43 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply - I sort of figured that would be the case but was not 100% sure.

[size=12p
Pages: [1]   Go Up