Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orchid photography resources  (Read 3051 times)

Ecolodger

• Oracle
Orchid photography resources
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:41:05 pm »

Hello everyone  :D
This is my first post in your great community.
I’m a nature photographer specialized on tourism.  Some friends asked my to prepare them a catalog of Bolivian Orchids, but I’ve only done landscapes and 3D. Does anyone have any resources on butterfly and Orchid photography?

Any help is appreciated

Chris.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:47:55 pm by Ecolodger »
A Proud owner of the Minolta  MD System...

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Orchid photography resources
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:34:48 pm »

Well, flower photography and butterfly photography have some similarities but many differences.  It depends in part on whether you're shooting wild orchids or ones in pots.  Obviously, indoors you can control placement, background, lighting, etc.  Outside you have less control over those factors.  There's also the fact that butterflies move whereas orchids don't (except by wind).  For both you'll need some decent macro equipment; a good tripod is handy but may slow you down if shooting butterflies.  Accessory lighting - twin flash or ring flash for macro work is also handy at times.  Do a search on macro photography and I'm sure you'll find all kinds of resources.  You can also check this thread:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=41593.0

Mike.

If your mind is attuned t

Ecolodger

• Oracle
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:09 pm »

Hello Mike :D

It would be outdoors, with no control whatsoever...

elf

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:25:28 am »

It kind of depends on what kind of images you want to create and how far you have to carry all of the equipment :) I would expect most of the orchids will be growing in trees so a fast 70-300mm macro that will go to 1:2 would be my first choice and this would work well for butterflys as well.   It would be even better to add a twin flash cross polarized setup. Being able to have the flashes quite a distance from the camera would be beneficial.  

If you'll be baiting the butterflys (putting sugar solution on flowers), then you can use multiple flashes to get both the subject and the background lighted.

p.s. http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/index.php is a good macro reference site
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:27:00 am by elf »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:47:10 am »

Hello everyone  :D
This is my first post in your great community.
I’m a nature photographer specialized on tourism.  Some friends asked my to prepare them a catalog of Bolivian Orchids, but I’ve only done landscapes and 3D. Does anyone have any resources on butterfly and Orchid photography?

Any help is appreciated

Chris.
There is a butterfly farm in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire UK, and they might know where to find the info.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Ecolodger

• Oracle
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:38 pm »

Hi folks, I got some nice pics from bolivia....specially from thge butterflies...
How do I post? Here's a permalink to one:   http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/167120_1713730716628_1038980069_31850040_5198562_n.jpg
Here's an orchid:  http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/179064_1714170927633_1038980069_31850756_7089366_n.jpg
Is this ok to post?

Greetings :-)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:13:24 am »

Blue morphos are very pretty...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

elf

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:03:16 am »

Those look good. Can you post technical details about lens, camera, lighting, etc.?

Ecolodger

• Oracle
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:22:47 am »

Hi floks,
Here are the Details for the Morpho:

Sony A700,
Sigma 50mm 2.8 @ 4.0
Iso 400 @ 1/160 Sec
Taken with natural lighting at aprox 20'' distance: Moral of the story....after the rain...the morpho was heating up :-)

I got all other pics on my Fb account

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up