Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Lightroom 3.2 does not show any images  (Read 7816 times)

EricChi

Adobe Lightroom 3.2 does not show any images
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »

I just updated to Lightroom 3.2 this week. It worked fine the past few days. Then last night, it started kind slow, then showed images shown in Library grid/strip view for any images. But it still show meta data. And no images in Develop tab. But if I move the mouse on the image area, the RGB values in histogram (upper right) still changes with differnt values. Just no images. And it still shows the shooting data.

I reinstalled it twice and oit still behave the same.

Then I build a new catalog. I see images only in the pre-import screen. Once a folder is imported, no images in this new catalog.

I also tried to clear cache, removed preferrance, and then create a new catalog. When I tried to import my images, there is a little triangle showing on top of each image, clicked and it said" Lightroom has some difficulty import the image file".

But PS CS5 Bridge and PS CS5 works just fine. I can actually right click on a grid (even though not seeing the real image or preview) and edit in PSP CS5.

BTW, the day before yesterday's problem, I was watchng the new Lightroom tutorial from this site (which I bought) and adjusted preference,... I don't know whether such a change of setting may cause Lightroom having difficulty seeing images.

Any help will be appreciated.

If anyone know how to submit a support request to Adobe please let me know too. I cannot find a way to get support free opf charge and I will not pay for their crash.

Eric
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:31:21 pm by EricChi »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Adobe Lightroom 3.2 does not show any images
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:31:33 pm »

If the grid view in Lightroom is showing empty rectangles, I'd redo your monitor profile as a starting point.  I ran into that problem and a suggestion from another user here fixed that.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

EricChi

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:24:22 pm »

Mike,

Thanks very much. I'll redo calibration on my monitor today.

Do you have any idea why monitor profile have to do with lightroom showing image?

Eric

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:31:34 pm »

There are many here more qualified than me to answer this, but I'd suspect that because Lightroom is working in a colour-managed workspace, it needs that information to display the images properly.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

EricChi

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:25:05 am »

Mike,

Thanks very much. Your advice just worked. I recalibrated my monitor and set my profile and everything is back. I still don't understand why I lose them yesterday though. But that does not matter now. Thanks again.

Eric

thirs

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:20:26 am »

Would you please share the exact action regarding "set my profile"? I used a 3rd party SW calibrated my monitor and saved a profile, but I do not know what to do in LR to link to the new-created (supposed the working one?) profile to get things refreshed. Not sure if I have the exact same problem with you - the pictures can be displayed in print and web modules, but not the other three modules ... Thanks!

Mike,

Thanks very much. Your advice just worked. I recalibrated my monitor and set my profile and everything is back. I still don't understand why I lose them yesterday though. But that does not matter now. Thanks again.

Eric
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:22:43 am by thirs »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 10:27:57 am »

@ thirs, Maybe this discussion on the Adobe Forum can help you further.
pieter, aka pegelli

eliedinur

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »

Would you please share the exact action regarding "set my profile"? I used a 3rd party SW calibrated my monitor and saved a profile, but I do not know what to do in LR to link to the new-created (supposed the working one?) profile to get things refreshed. Not sure if I have the exact same problem with you - the pictures can be displayed in print and web modules, but not the other three modules ... Thanks!

You don't need to do anything in LR. It uses whatever profile the system is using, so just check that the OS has associated the monitor to the proper profile.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

thirs

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 10:43:19 am »

Thanks a lot - I updated the color management properties and linked to sRGB color profile as indicated in the post you referred, and the problem resolved. Thanks again!

@ thirs, Maybe this discussion on the Adobe Forum can help you further.

thirs

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 10:44:04 am »

Thanks for shedding the light.

You don't need to do anything in LR. It uses whatever profile the system is using, so just check that the OS has associated the monitor to the proper profile.

eliedinur

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 07:06:48 pm »

Thanks a lot - I updated the color management properties and linked to sRGB color profile as indicated in the post you referred, and the problem resolved. Thanks again!

You need to be aware that by associating your monitor with sRGB in the OS you have, in effect, cancelled color management.
You wrote earlier, "I used a 3rd party SW calibrated my monitor and saved a profile." Can you elaborate further on what software you used. Apparently the profile didn't sit well with LR (LR doesn't like v. 4 profiles, for instance) but another profile, if it is at all accurate, might be better than sRGB. Of course, the best course of action would be to purchase a hardware calibrator and to use its accompanying software to create the profile.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

thirs

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »

You need to be aware that by associating your monitor with sRGB in the OS you have, in effect, cancelled color management.
You wrote earlier, "I used a 3rd party SW calibrated my monitor and saved a profile." Can you elaborate further on what software you used. Apparently the profile didn't sit well with LR (LR doesn't like v. 4 profiles, for instance) but another profile, if it is at all accurate, might be better than sRGB. Of course, the best course of action would be to purchase a hardware calibrator and to use its accompanying software to create the profile.

Thanks for reminding - actually I'm pure dummy for color space related stuff. I downloaded "Monitor Calibration Wizzard", followed its instructions and saved a profile. However at that time I did not know how to apply the profile so I just leave the saved profile there. Last night I just shift the color profile from default one (which was named by the monitor I used) to sRGB as recommended, then see pictures in LR. And, not sure if the problem is caused by corruption of color profile on my PC, or anyhow related to that I set the color space as sRGB (instead of Adobe RGB) on my camera. However not planned to reproduce the problem ...

And, during the SW-calibrating I did, I had chance to preview the profile but it looked weird somehow. Any comments on the MCW software? or any suggestion on alternative SW calibration solution? Thanks.

eliedinur

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 05:57:35 am »

There have been lots of reports of LR having problems with the generic profiles installed by the driver software you get with a monitor. And aside from any problems they make for LR the "canned" profiles are not very accurate because there will always be variations between individual units even if they are the same model. The best solution is a calibrator. They start at around $80 and go up to over $200, but are definitely a worthwhile investment
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th
Pages: [1]   Go Up