Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading PS or get Lightroom - or what the heck is Lightroom anyway?  (Read 3496 times)

rlh1138

So I did some searching, found posts on my topic from 07, I think things may have changed, so... here's my question.  I've moved up from PS Elements to C3 and am generally satisfied with where  I'm at - maybe even getting a pretty good print now and  then.  (Getting lots of OK prints)  I'm thinking of upgrading to C5, some of the blending tools, better ACR included, and of course, just having the latest.  But... I've been noticing all this Lightroom talk, Michael's videos, etc.  At first I thought LR was just a sorting/catelogue tool, now I realize that's wrong.  People are editing photos in it?  But still using PS?    I just can't seem to find the right post of piece of info that tells me what LR is compared to PS.  Do they do the same thing?  Michael seems to think the world of LR - will I get the latest PS only to finally learn that LR does the same things, only better?

Some sage advice please.

Thx,

Ray 

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Upgrading PS or get Lightroom - or what the heck is Lightroom anyway?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:34:04 pm »

Do yourself a favour and download the 30 day free trial of Lightroom.

If you are familiar with Camera Raw, the Develop module of Lightroom will seem quite familiar.

If you print out of Photoshop, the printing out of Lightroom is alone worth the price of admission. As in - Make one preset of your print settings and then just Print! No double-checking all the damned Print dialogs every time you want t make a Print.

Then you get a complete database functionality to organize all your photos.

But… if you specialize in a lot of pixel bashing in PS maybe you will want that too!

Ross.D

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 11:09:31 pm »

If you shoot regularly, Lightroom will change your life. It's made it so much easier to catalog and organize my shoots and the editing options are excellent. As Chris said, the develop module is very similar to Camera Raw, and there's some great time savers to be found in the program. If you do decide to get it (or at least the trial) check your local library and see if they have Scott Kelby's lightroom 2 for photographers book. I'd consider it required reading, even though I used the program for 2 years prior to reading the book!

francois

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:10:24 am »

Follow Chris advice and download the 30 demo version of Lightroom. Only you can decide if it's worth the price. You could also spend a few bucks on Michael's video tutorial (the develop module section also applies to the latest ACR version)… There must be a discussion on this forum in which the OP could only upgrade either Photoshop or Lightroom, it might give you a good start to make up you mind.
Francois

rlh1138

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:23:29 pm »

OK, sounds like getting the trial version of LR is on my list of things to do this weekend.

Thanks to all for the advice - and I'll look for that book as well.

Ray

01af

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 07:40:29 am »

Lightroom basically is a raw converter—the same as Camera Raw—wrapped up in a digital asset management program, i. e. software to import, store, sort, retrieve, and export digital media (that is, mostly photos).

The basic difference between editing in Photoshop and editing in Lightroom is this: Photoshop can do all kinds of local adjustments; Lightroom is limited to global adjustments. Global adjustments are those which affect the whole image—i. e. things like increasing or decreasing colour temperature, colour casts, brightness, contrast, or sharpness. Local adjustments are things that are done to parts of the image only and tyically involve selections, masks, and layers. However these days, the borderline between local and global adjustments has become somewhat blurred, as Lightroom (and Camera Raw) also can do some limited local editing. Still, for full-strength local editing, you do need Photoshop (or another post-processing program). For the vast majority of images, however, Lightroom's editing capabilities are more than adequate.

rlh1138

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 05:12:17 pm »

O1al,

Thanks also, just the answer I needing to understand the difference between the two.  I did take the earlier advice and download the trial, I've used it 30-60 min. so far - and now that I read your note I'm thinking 'right, there was no way to make a selection, and hence make a local adjustment.'  Or if there is a selection tool, I just haven't gotten to it yet.  But, I did do some printing from LR, and that's why I'm back here today.  Basically I took some raw files I'd opened in PS/Camera RAW and printed in the past, made the best adjustments I could figure out in LR and made some prints. They were gorgeous - better than what I had from the past.  I reopened them in PS, made the identical (as best I could) adjustments and printed.  Not good at all.  So now I've got myself confused.  How can LR driving my printer (very old Epson 870) produce such a different (and much 'better' - just like the image on the screen) print than PS printing basically the same image right after.  Did the edits I made in LR 'stick' on the file somehow are messing up the print from PS? I really don't want to spend $200 dollars on yet another program, esp. since I've been working to learn PS for the past year.  Someone earlier made a comment about how I'd love printing from LR.  Is it known to somehow make better prints?  That doesn't seem to make sense.????  Right now I'm missing the darkroom years quite a bit - thought I'd never say that!  'Course come to think of it, that was all B&W, I never could print worth a damn in color anyway.

Any thoughts/commens on the experience of LR printing so much better than PS - and again, I mean absolutly matching the image on the screen.

Thx   -   Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up