Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best pano equipment to get ?  (Read 19339 times)

Aristoc

What's the best pano equipment to get ?
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:47:30 pm »

I have looked at Nodal Ninja and RRS and others. What is the best pano equipment to get for doing single row and possibly multiple row panos of both landscape and architecture?

Thank you.

Erick Boileau

• http://
Re: What's the best pano equipment to get ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 02:35:30 pm »

GigaPan Epic
Clauss Rodeon

Aristoc

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 02:57:22 pm »

I wouldn't count the Gigapan in my list of options. It's completely a different kind of panography. I am looking for the more traditional style.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 03:28:13 pm »

For landscape a solid tripod and ballhead. If you insist on shooting many landscapes with lots of foreground elements you might need to invest in a proper pano head.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 04:06:38 pm »

I have looked at Nodal Ninja and RRS and others. What is the best pano equipment to get for doing single row and possibly multiple row panos of both landscape and architecture?

Thank you.
I think that if you want the best, the Clauss is the only option... I am thinking of going for the VR Station, as I will be using it on a 10m tripod. I have not fully researched this... but I would like to be able to point the camera anywhere (like a normal powered tripod head) so that you can capture a boat, bird, person etc. anywhere in the big frame and paste/merge it into the bigger picture.

Theoretically the res is dictated by the focal length and the pixel pitch, but MF pixels are better, and if you use a few MF files then you can capture large moving objects and incorporate them... so I hope an H4D-60 and a 300mm lens will be good kit.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 04:58:44 pm »

I wouldn't count the Gigapan in my list of options. It's completely a different kind of panography. I am looking for the more traditional style.
then the full Really Right Stuff set, I have it only for singlerow
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:56:15 am by erickb »

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
    • http://www.luisargerich.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 05:46:59 pm »

A nice tripod like a Gitzo Systematic

and a Nice leveling base like the one from Acratech

About PanoHeads (only needed for interiors or very close foreground elements)

Manfrotto 303+ (single row)
& Manfrotto 303 SPH (Multi row)

Really well engineered pieces of gear, extremely solid and precise.

aaykay

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:29:37 pm »

I am looking seriously at using the Arca Swiss Cube C1 for this purpose.  Still reading up on it from people who have used it.  The price is pretty stiff at $1700, however.

Click here for the Cube

elf

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 01:56:15 am »

leuallen

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:53:27 am »

I like things that multi task. Hence a Manfrotto geared 410 head on top of a leveling base with geared focus rail sometime attached. Great for macros and closeup of flowers with or without the rail. I usually level the base because then if I pan a little to the sides it keeps the vertical composition in place. Very easy and precise positioning.

Now for panos I use the same setup. Level the base then the camera (bubble level on camera). Since most of my panos are without close foreground objects, I don't usually use the rail. If I have close up objects I use the rail for which I have a list of settings in my notebook for my most used lenses so I can set the correct nodal point. Use an L bracket for verticals  I use a Panasonic  G1 with articulated screen so I can look down to the LCD, don't have to have the camera at eyelevel. I do a check to see how much I have to turn the the knob for a pan to get an approximately 1/3 overlap. When ready to shoot I have my remote on my left hand, eye on the LCD, and right hand on the panning knob. Expose, check LCD quickly, and turn knob required number of times. Then repeat until done. I can get a set of exposures off in under 5 seconds which minimizes cloud movement.

Of course this is not for everyone. But for my subjects it works well. I don't shoot action so don't have to follow a subject - geared not good for this. I shoot longer lenses. I shoot static subjects with precise framing - geared is good. Don't do multi-row, would have to add a bracket for this. Almost never have problems with stitching using CS5. Draw backs, heavy but I don't stray far from the car with this. Have a much lighter setup for when required - shift adapter for m4/3 which shifts the body, lens stationary (use mostly old, quality manual lenses). Use with any tripod and head. Gives 3:1 with horizontal camera and 2:1 with vertical. Enough for most of what I want to do. Only good with lenses 40mm and up (80mm ff), shorter lenses vignette and color shift at the sides.

Might mention that this is sort of modular, mix and match. Everything snaps together quickly with rapid clamps, no screwing around. It all goes together with the same alignment each time so I am assured of results.

Larry

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:12:05 am »

I have the Really Right Stuff and the Nodal Ninja spherical heads.  Both are quite nice.  If you are planning panos with lenses that aren't too heavy and are less than 100mm focal length, the nodal ninja is very nice.  I occasionally shoot panos with my 100-400 and the nodal ninja isn't sturdy enough to hold it...more to the point, the click detents in the panning clamps make it impossible to move a short enough distance to shoot panos at 400 (or 300 or 200 for that matter). 

I use the Really Right Stuff gear extensively.  Because of the simple clamping system it is highly modular, so that you can easily setup to carry a cylindrical head and then add some more parts and carry a spherical head.  It can be used as a focusing rail, and it can be used like a gimble for panning when photographing birds.  Finally, the RRS gear is indestructible. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

vandevanterSH

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 12:27:48 pm »

I use the Really Right Stuff gear extensively.  Because of the simple clamping system it is highly modular, so that you can easily setup to carry a cylindrical head and then add some more parts and carry a spherical head
I am switching over to a RRS pano set up for modularity and other factors.  I have a Manfrotto 303 SPH and have found it to be too heavy and for that and other issues avoid using it.  I have had an RRS PCL-1 clamp and several rails and found that it is much easier to carry.  My RRS leveling base will arrive today and I suspect that I will expand to a full RRS pano system.  Also the RRS "bits" for the pano system aren't dedicated for pano and I use the clamp and rails for other purposes.

Steve

Aristoc

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 02:46:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure that device can also be used to straighten out crooked bones  :D

Aristoc

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 02:47:52 pm »

I like the Manfrotto geared head for doing macro's. I don't have one but it's something I might get at a future date. For now I use my Manfrotto 454 for macro.

Your set up is very specific to your own needs. Custom made.

Aristoc

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 02:49:12 pm »

I have looked at NN and will not be going with that company. Their products are made in asia. They also seem to be having some quality issues. The NOdal Ninja 5 is discontinued. Their web site is not fully updated such as the selector graph.

Aristoc

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 02:50:44 pm »

I am pretty sure I am heading towards the RRS system. I like the modularity and good design. It seems fool proof. their web site is very detailed and clear. They have very quick customer response. It is a made in north america. It is solid. Good resale value too.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 04:55:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure that device can also be used to straighten out crooked bones  :D
Not to mention bending straight ones.

Jeremy

archivue

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »

the arca ball head P0 have the panoramic plate on the top, and can use arca style plate...

reallyrightshoot

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 02:55:51 am »

take reallyrightstuff pano, Best traditional style.
easy setup and easy disassemble, can use every components saperately.

greygrad

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 06:39:12 am »

Have a look at this - Gitzo's Athena - a fully motorized / WiFi controllable tripod head - pretty much state of the art at the minute for creating large panoramas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzS0IPGS7c
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up