Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Email to Police Officers in UK Regarding Photography/Photographers  (Read 1591 times)

RFPhotography

Email to Police Officers in UK Regarding Photography/Photographers
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:36:00 pm »

Interesting email sent recently to officers in the UK addressing how they are to deal with photography and photographers in public places.

Dick Roadnight

Re: Email to Police Officers in UK Regarding Photography/Photographers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:57:47 pm »

Interesting email sent recently to officers in the UK addressing how they are to deal with photography and photographers in public places.
Well... that is great news - we will all print out a copy of the letter to show to any ill-informed policeman who wants to interfere.

...but this seems to protect the paparazzi and not cover landscape and architectural photographers, e.g. on National Trust property.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

LoisWakeman

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:17:28 am »

Much as I dislike the NT's views on photography within their properties (I resigned mainly for that reason), the letter is talking about public property. One has the right to stand in it and take photos, or on places where one has a right to be: a footpath for instance, or CROW access land (though the right there only extends to non-commercial photos, interestingly). There never has been the right to take photos on private property in England and Wales AFAIK, although in practice it is often allowed.

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/ukphotographersrights-v2.pdf gives a good summary.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:44:47 am »

Much as I dislike the NT's views on photography within their properties (I resigned mainly for that reason), the letter is talking about public property. One has the right to stand in it and take photos, or on places where one has a right to be: a footpath for instance, or CROW access land (though the right there only extends to non-commercial photos, interestingly). There never has been the right to take photos on private property in England and Wales AFAIK, although in practice it is often allowed.

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/ukphotographersrights-v2.pdf gives a good summary.
I thought the right was to take photos from public property or from property to which the public have access, e.g. a Hotel. ... but how does that affect a Museum or art gallery?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

LoisWakeman

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:15:46 am »

Read the article I cited for more info. IANAL but ...

The public does not have a right to be admitted, let alone photograph on, private property AFAIK. That includes museums, NT properties, shops, shopping malls, pubs, hotels, airports, private car parks, etc., all of which can set their own rules about just what one can do thereon. Most give their permission for access otherwise they'd be out of business. There are also implied rights of access to properties by certain classes of people (for example, this allows the postie to deliver to your door without being accused of trespass.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up