Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pushkar Camel Fair  (Read 5646 times)

amann

Pushkar Camel Fair
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:06:58 pm »

I am trying to plan a Trip  to India and planning to go to Pushkar Fair this November.On Google found a number of photo trips.Has anyone have suggestions or advise on travel to India. In last 10 yeas I have gone 7 Photo trips with professional Photographers some where better than others.THis time I am looking for advise.My trip to antarctic with Luminous was one of the best. Allan

Photostudent

Re: Pushkar Camel Fair
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:54:59 am »

What help you need.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 01:52:12 pm »

I am trying to plan a Trip  to India and planning to go to Pushkar Fair this November.On Google found a number of photo trips.Has anyone have suggestions or advise on travel to India. In last 10 yeas I have gone 7 Photo trips with professional Photographers some where better than others.THis time I am looking for advise.My trip to antarctic with Luminous was one of the best. Allan

The weather in Rajasthan will be pleasant in November but Pushkar will be very dusty.  So take a full complement of camera cleaning supplies.  It will also be very crowded and you will have to make your way through a swarm.  So plan your gear and its handling accordingly.

amann

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:16:50 pm »

Thank for advise. I am looking for a photo Tour that you can recommend that you have participated.
Allan

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:44:20 pm »

Thank for advise. I am looking for a photo Tour that you can recommend that you have participated.
Allan

I have gone there on my own.

I see that Brenda Tharp is offering a Pushkar tour this year -

http://destinationhimalaya.net/india/ITN-IndiaPhotoBrenda.php

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:55:10 pm »

The main way people travel around Rajasthan is organising a tour that includes a car and driver. I did it a few years ago and it cost around US$100 a day for accommodation and travel. The drivers all know each other and talk about what are the good and bad attractions. They also can provide a personal approach to things. My driver had a few places that he stopped at so that I could visit families in their homes. I had a great curry with Gunga Singh in the Rose Hotel and the next day we visited his brother in the countryside. These are things that you can't do on a tour.

Having a driver is great, we stopped often to get images along the road. They know where good restaurants and food shops are and they usually know where different types of passengers may like to eat. I enjoy my curries and in the two weeks I was in Rajasthan I had some great food.

The colour in Rajsthan is great and if you like street photograph you don't need a guide. I probably stood out like a sore thumb with my white skin and straw hat but I had no trouble getting good shots. The images from my trip are here:

http://www.tombrown.id.au/travel/travel1.html

A google search for something like hiring car driver Rajasthan will give you a good start into having a tour. I had a great trip doing it that way.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:10:04 pm »

It is true that a solo, customized programme is the best way to go, which is what I did in Rajasthan in 2007.  See some of my images here -

http://www.parrikar.com/#/India/Rajasthan/1/thumbs

However, a customized tour does not come cheap, and if this is your first time in India, a good deal of research is recommended before you venture out on your own.  I can see why a specialized photo tour might be attractive to some.

I used the services of Compass Tours for my customized solo 2-week jaunt through Rajasthan.  See -

http://compasstours.us/

I supplied them with my rough plan and specifications, and they handled the rest.  If you decide to go this route, you may want to consider some of my stipulations for the driver (make this clear at the outset):

- Safe driving (no speeding).

- No smoking or drinking.

- Flexibility (availability for early morning shoots).

- No music in the car (unless I specifically request it).

- No detours to establishments other than the ones I specify (note: this is important, because many stores, restaurants, vendors have deals with drivers to steer you to them).

BrianKSmith

• Adventurocity
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:53:12 pm »

A few years ago I travelled to Puskar ( Jan 2006 ). It is a wonderful town! People are friendly and the food is all vegetarian. I heard that the camel fair is a bit crazy with too many people and alot of dust. Also mind your gear, as in the crowds things can disappear!

To see some of my images checkout:
www.adventurocity.com ( India )
www.brianksmithphotography.com ( India )

Have a Great Time!

Brian K. Smith
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:15:49 pm by BrianKSmith »
Brian K. Smith
Adventurocity

amann

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 05:30:41 pm »

Brian thanks for your thoughts.I especially enjoyed your Web site.Your photos of India are great.
Allan

BrianKSmith

• Adventurocity
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 05:49:04 pm »

You are welcomed
Have a Great time in India - one of my favorite places!
I will be leading a tour to China late December with the highlight of attending the Harbin Ice and Snow Festival. Maybe in the future you can join us!

Brian
www.adventurocity.com
Brian K. Smith
Adventurocity
Pages: [1]   Go Up