Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simulate larger print size?  (Read 1959 times)

rodcones

Simulate larger print size?
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:34:39 pm »

I know empiricism rules, however.

I'm sure that of the various 13in (a3+) inkjets the _actual_structure_ of the printhead isn't the same as their bigger 17in (a2) brothers, but the 2880/1440 resolution holds and some apparently use the same ink.

Given that, is it reasonable to believe a file upres/resize to A2 and then split in two, with each printed A3 and split ends joined as best, would let you see how that image would look printed A2?  And continuing...

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: Simulate larger print size?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:06:20 am »

There's the printhead conception, and then the dithering method, and then the negative impression given by the seam in the middle (maybe not as bad as a gutter in a book, but I wouldn't expect to make it invisible either)...
Add to that the fact that printing on a 13" printer is (much) more expensive than on a 17" one due to ink costs and other annoyances (like the absence of a waste ink tank).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 06:15:47 am »

For very large prints 24" paper rolls might be ideal, as you could handle it like wall-paper, and the joins would not be very apparent from normal viewing distances.

If you have to upres, sharpen etc. it would be good to print at the res for the large print size (either in sections or sample areas or strip) to asses if the pic was worth printing at the large size, or as a test before trying different upres/sharpening techniques.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:31:09 am »

For very large prints 24" paper rolls might be ideal, as you could handle it like wall-paper, and the joins would not be very apparent from normal viewing distances.

If you have to upres, sharpen etc. it would be good to print at the res for the large print size (either in sections or sample areas or strip) to asses if the pic was worth printing at the large size, or as a test before trying different upres/sharpening techniques.

Hi Dick,

I agree, the final sharpening is best applied at the final output dimensions. A program like Qimage makes it easy to do, it also allows to print individual tiles of such a mosaic (in case one gets damaged, or to have a preview of image quality without needing to print the whole thing).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

rodcones

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:53:52 am »

hi guys,

Niko said:
"There's the printhead conception, and then the dithering method,.."

Yes, I perhaps forgot of different algorithms as the drivers would be different but I think my basis still holds.

However, to all, this is purely a "concept" one-off idea. I know Qimage handles this thing as I do use it. I'm not going to be taping up huge sheets to my wall or trying to hawk them at galleries. :) 

It was just wanting reinforcement as being a fairly valid assessment for some images instead of using an online outfit who do A2/A1.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:05:35 am »

It was just wanting reinforcement as being a fairly valid assessment for some images instead of using an online outfit who do A2/A1.
You could use it as an assessment before getting one of our fellow members to make a print for you.

@ GMT -6 are you in Easter USA? There are 2 members in Pa that do big prints.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

rodcones

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:18:50 am »

GMT-6 ?  

no, no.. real GMT or in fact BST -British Summer Time  ;D
just about lunchtime

thanks anyway, and of course to others
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:22:22 am by rodcones »
Pages: [1]   Go Up