Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting in Los Angeles  (Read 5815 times)

Jozef Zajaz

Shooting in Los Angeles
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:11:18 am »

Hi!

I'm going to LA end of september for vacation, was thinking of doing some fashion editorials while i'm there.

Need tips of locations and places that rent out stuff. Is it the same as in all of US that you need a permit to use a tripod? If so where do i get it?

Is the "desert" far from LA? Seen some pretty cool shoots from there :)

Otherwise i was thinking in the surroundings of Venice and also Melrose Av. Any other cool locations you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

bcooter

Re: Shooting in Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:22:11 pm »

Southern california has probably the most diverse locations in the world.

You can go from beach to mountains, desert to urban and easily do it in a few days.

Also the most amount of municipalities (88) and covers close to 5,000 square miles, each with their own permit and insurance regulations.

Santa Monica, LA, Culver City, West Hollywood all are different with different rules and California like most states is very money hungry so . . .

If it's just you a model and a camera you can probably get away without a permit, but be prepared to be stopped.

Start with http://www.filmla.com/ and go from there. 

Also this has been a very cool summer along the coast with high temperatures in the Desert which means a lot of marine layer so plan accordingly.

The weather is finally breaking and now we're into the pretty light season.

If you want to work the desert, Death Valley and the high desert is about 3.5 hours drive from the West Side of LA and also requires permits for most areas.

The Desert is a really extreme area, either hot or cold or both, with amazing wind, or dead calm, sometimes all in one day, but really amazing.

If you want to work the desert for a full day, probably spend the evening in Apple Valley and start early.

If your going to work anything urban, learn the permit rules, scout the area early, especially where to park and don't expect just to drive over to Melrose, double park, unload the truck and start shooting without planning.

There are also over 2,000 talent agents in LA, some good, some great, some marginal, but finding good on camera talent will depend on the equity you have with the agents and the industry.

Don't take this as it can't be done, because there are multiple projects happening in every area, every day, from one person hand held to 4 grip trucks production,  but it's not Miami where your working one beach, or NY where your only covering a few square miles.

Also don't let the size of LA bother you because if you do your homework you'll come away with some inspiring imagery.

BC

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:44:46 pm »

The Disney Concert Hall downtown is amazing for a fashion editorial. Bring your wide angle!
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:25:56 am »

The Disney Concert Hall downtown is amazing for a fashion editorial. Bring your wide angle!

Thank you! Looks cool! Is it free to shoot there whenever? Any specific times during the day that is prefered?

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 02:37:13 am »

Southern california has probably the most diverse locations in the world.

You can go from beach to mountains, desert to urban and easily do it in a few days.

Also the most amount of municipalities (88) and covers close to 5,000 square miles, each with their own permit and insurance regulations.

Santa Monica, LA, Culver City, West Hollywood all are different with different rules and California like most states is very money hungry so . . .

If it's just you a model and a camera you can probably get away without a permit, but be prepared to be stopped.

Start with http://www.filmla.com/ and go from there. 

Also this has been a very cool summer along the coast with high temperatures in the Desert which means a lot of marine layer so plan accordingly.

The weather is finally breaking and now we're into the pretty light season.

If you want to work the desert, Death Valley and the high desert is about 3.5 hours drive from the West Side of LA and also requires permits for most areas.

The Desert is a really extreme area, either hot or cold or both, with amazing wind, or dead calm, sometimes all in one day, but really amazing.

If you want to work the desert for a full day, probably spend the evening in Apple Valley and start early.

If your going to work anything urban, learn the permit rules, scout the area early, especially where to park and don't expect just to drive over to Melrose, double park, unload the truck and start shooting without planning.

There are also over 2,000 talent agents in LA, some good, some great, some marginal, but finding good on camera talent will depend on the equity you have with the agents and the industry.

Don't take this as it can't be done, because there are multiple projects happening in every area, every day, from one person hand held to 4 grip trucks production,  but it's not Miami where your working one beach, or NY where your only covering a few square miles.

Also don't let the size of LA bother you because if you do your homework you'll come away with some inspiring imagery.

BC

Thank you for your advice!

I've been shooting in both Beijing, Hong Kong and New York without a permit. Only in New York i had problems, but that was because i used a tripod. When i removed it everything was okej :)

Scott Tansey

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:26:32 pm »

Hello Joseph,

To rent photographic equipment, contact PIX at 323-936-8488.  As for locations, please pick up a book called LA Access.  As stated earlier, the LA area, including the rest of Southern California can be a goldmine for photographers.

Scott

cyeh01

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 02:14:12 pm »

Hey Joseph,

The desert is anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours away depending on what kind of desert you're looking for. If you're just looking for a dry-lake bed, then your best bet is Lucerne Valley. If you're looking for sand dunes, then you're looking for Kelso Dunes which is farther out.

There are however lots of other locations while not as spacious are similar to what you're looking for. Location scouting is something that every local photographer must do either vicariously or in-person ;)

While I shoot mostly in my studio, I have some knowledge of the local terrain.

Oh and about permits. If you bring a crew with lots of equipment, be prepared to run and gun or have a permit. Each location is different so it really depends on where you're thinking before you know for sure if you need a permit. If you're not too equipment intensive/heavy then you might be able to get away with just shooting quickly and moving on... it really depends.

Good luck!

Charles Lucima
www.lucima.com

Paul Sumi

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 04:38:23 pm »

Thank you! Looks cool! Is it free to shoot there whenever? Any specific times during the day that is prefered?

The Disney Hall exterior gets used a lot for commercial productions. So if you even *look* like you're doing something like photographing a model, you will be approached by building security.

On the other hand, I have done personal (architectural) photography there, tripod and all, with no problems.  The only "warning" I got from a security guard was to not use my tripod on Disney Hall property (which extends part-way onto the sidewalk). 

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 01:34:01 am »

Thanks for all the advice.

Does anyone know where I can rent a Mamiya/Phase one 80 or 110mm Leaf Shutter lens in Los Angeles area?

ondebanks

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:25:33 am »

Could someone please explain to a Happy European - What's all this nonsense about "tripod permits"?!  :o

MikeDitz

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 12:49:29 pm »

The permit thing is kind of a moving target, no one knows all the answers If you are doing a full scale production and have the budget, contact a permit company as they know the details. If you are doing a smaller low-no budget shoot, with a small crew and model or two, most folks will not get permits. For the type of shoots where you have motor homes and trucks and camera cars and gennys and lights, etc, yes you will need a permit. If you want to legally stop traffic, a permit is needed as is a 'movie cop' or a CHP ($650 4 hours) depending on where you are. For the most part the FilmLA people get the job done but don't make it easy.

I have a friend who is a LAPD Supervisor in Venice, unless you are doing something really annoying (setting up a bunch of lights, blocking sidewalks, fake guns, nudity, etc) to the general public they will not bother you unless they get a complaint from a citizen (or other photographer) and if they do 'interact' with you most of the time they really don't want to shut you down (probably due to the paperwork involved) but they probably will tell you to move along...
Smaller cities are usually more stringent, park rangers are the worst to get caught by, on the beach life guards are usually pretty cool.
On a weekend there are usually 3 to 7 legal productions going on in downtown LA.

Venice a cool area but very crowded and well policed. Melrose has alot of nice buildings and shops and crowds, if you go to the Disney Hall area check out the 3rd most popular LA location, an area under Grand Avenue, used in 79% of the car commercials are shot there. One good thing about the cutbacks is that some of the parks and the dry lake bed at El Mirage (2-3 hours northeast) only has a ranger there on weekends and maybe one day a week....

One thing you could do as a visitor is to speak your native language and offer your passport if they ask for a permit.  :P

Don't get too hung up on it, just be prepared to change your plans.

For Rentals: Pix or Calumet LA or in a pinch Samys. Or hire a digital tech who will bring his own kit.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:51:22 pm by MikeDitz »

bcooter

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 01:03:51 pm »

Could someone please explain to a Happy European - What's all this nonsense about "tripod permits"?!  :o

It's simple, the use of a tripod usually is the first indicator of a commercial project and like most governments, commerce is regulated and taxed.

I know this doesn't hold well for someone that wants to fly in, shoot for their portfolio and leave, but remember, most of the locations you would photograph in any state are maintained and funded by local taxpayers.

I am not a fan of multiple taxation, actually despise it, but I have few problems with the permit process.  It separates the wheat from the chaff and if you do work in commerce, nothing is more frustrating that paying for a location and working in a professional manner, while in front of your lens is some semi professional running in and out of your site line while your working.

The upside of the permit process is if some non authorized crew is on your site, you can have them removed and continue to work without a lot of discussion.

LA is very regulated, (also very professional) though probably overly regulated and there is the old joke of if you want the police to come fast, don't call 911 and say "gun", say "camera".   That should get you at least 4 crown vics and the supporting cast of 6 to 8 police.   

For the person that originated this post, he/she can probably get away without a permit, or insurance bond, but don't be surprised if your stopped.  Read the second paragraph in the film LA site about non authorized production.

Still, I've always believed that if a photograph is worth making, then it's worth the expense and effort to do it professionally with schedules, permits and insurance bonds.  After all, the pendulum swings both ways.  Photographers can't complain that everyone wants to lift and use their work for free while being expected to use any resource for free. 

Given that, there probably should be a different permit rate system in every municipality where locals pay less, non residents pay more, but that's not the case.  At least the permit system is equal and everyone pays the same.

Oh and btw, permits are required even if you shoot in/on private property.   Believe it or not, even working on a movie lot requires a permit, but if you do professional production permitting is not that much of a burden or expense.

BC

P.S.   In 9 years we've probably cut 50 permits in Venice and 90% of the time have been required to furnish the paper work to the authorities.  We know most of the police and after a few years were just waved through with a smile, but it takes equity.

For Rentals I'd use Harold at Samy's in Playa Vista, Joe Frank at Samy's Fairfax and for Purchase call Karen in the pro department at Samy's Fairfax.  None are better.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 03:39:51 pm »

Mr Cooter, you are a very helpful person; wish you well.

Rob C

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 05:43:50 pm »

Thank you very much for your advice.

I will just try get by withouth a permit. Worked for my 3 hour shoot in Times Sq a couple of years ago. We will be a pretty light crew, 1 light on tripod.

Also i Called samys for rentals. They want a credit card to cover the value of the equipment (really no surprise there) but the credit card system it a bit diffrent here in sweden. But he said I could get a temp insurance instead. I have no idea though how and where to find one. Do any of you guys have an idea?

Thank you!

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 06:17:04 pm »

Venice a cool area but very crowded and well policed. Melrose has alot of nice buildings and shops and crowds, if you go to the Disney Hall area check out the 3rd most popular LA location, an area under Grand Avenue, used in 79% of the car commercials are shot there. One good thing about the cutbacks is that some of the parks and the dry lake bed at El Mirage (2-3 hours northeast) only has a ranger there on weekends and maybe one day a week....

One thing you could do as a visitor is to speak your native language and offer your passport if they ask for a permit.  :P

Where is this Grand Avenue,? Any picture.

Hehe lol, won't work for me I'm pretty fluent in english with no accent and all :)

MikeDitz

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 06:26:03 pm »

When I first moved to LA I worked at a rental place for a while. At the time the requirement for people without an account was either a deposit for the full $$$ value of the equipment
or pay extra for an additional daily insurance, sort of like when you rent a car. I don't know if Samys does that or not...

Disney Hall is at 111Grand Ave, if you head south on Grand from Disney. make the first right turn and then the first left turn and then the first left turn and you will be under Grand Ave. I have shot there a couple times and will try to find an example.

...aha! but the police officer or security guard doesn't have to know that you are fluent in English  ;)

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 06:28:10 pm »

When I first moved to LA I worked at a rental place for a while. At the time the requirement for people without an account was either a deposit for the full $$$ value of the equipment
or pay extra for an additional daily insurance, sort of like when you rent a car. I don't know if Samys does that or not...

Disney Hall is at 111Grand Ave, if you head south on Grand from Disney. make the first right turn and then the first left turn and then the first left turn and you will be under Grand Ave. I have shot there a couple times and will try to find an example.

...aha! but the police officer or security guard doesn't have to know that you are fluent in English  ;)

Okej sounds great will try that.

Looking forward to a picture.

hehe yes i'll just start speak swedish superfast :)

MikeDitz

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 06:54:15 pm »

if you look at the map you can see that Grand Ave has some openings in it to let light into the lower level. The gaps are visible south of the big white tent that is set up / in the middle of the street in front of the building with "12" marked on the roof.

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:05:00 pm »

Mike, Where you my assistant many years ago?  Jim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up