Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regarding "Regarding Digital Camera Reviews"  (Read 1419 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Regarding "Regarding Digital Camera Reviews"
« on: October 16, 2004, 07:35:33 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Alberio,

This is off topic but you might be interested. My wife's nephew is 27 and he asked me last year what those funny orangy plastic strips were that you get back when you have pictures developed.  He didn't know what negatives were or that they were used when asking for enlargements or reprints. He had (has?) no idea what's inside that fim canister that you put inside a camera.

I am forever amazed at what little understanding most people have about how ordinary everyday things work.[/font]
--
Robert

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 07:53:11 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']as long as camera manufacturers continue pushing MP count in their marketing it's going to stay this way. The first question everyone asks: How many megapixels does it have?[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']They didn't have to think a lot to figure that one out. Just look at Intel and AMD, people still believe that Mhz is the only one spec that can characterize a computer...

Best regards,
Bernard[/font]

Alberio

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 08:20:10 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Michael,

You've already written several times about your priorities when evaluating photography equipment, but this last missive is your best yet! I cannot describe my frustration at people who insist on having the highest zoom range and megapixel count -- and who constantly ask whether I've seen the reviews on DPreview -- and at the same time don't own a printer and never have Walgreens print anything bigger than a 4x6 incher. And then wonder why my candids with an "antiquated" Elan 7e and 100mm f/2 lens seem to be in a different league from theirs.

Actually, what frustrates me more is when people ask me to send them a copy of one of those candids over the Internet ....  Even people of my generation (I'm 27) already seem to have forgotten about film.[/font]

Madness

• http://www2.arnes.si/~jburke
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 10:08:23 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']as long as camera manufacturers continue pushing MP count in their marketing it's going to stay this way. The first question everyone asks: How many megapixels does it have?
Even people who have absolutely no idea how to operate a camera (film or digital!) somehow found out this is the question to ask. They have no idea what megapixels are but marketing efforts stuffed their brains with one thing only, they just don't care about anything else.

You cannot expect them to care about things beyond the marketing hype. I'll presume you're not a mountain biker and ask you this: Do you care what type of rear suspension contruction your bike has?

Just let it go and tell them what they want to hear [/font]
*FOR RENT- one coat closet-must share wi

EricL

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 10:49:40 am »

Well done Michael!
The most important considerations for any camera are:
1.  Does it do what I want?
2.  Does it fit my hands?
3.  Can I figure out how to use it effectively?
I own 3 digital cameras, I upgrade about every two years.  Every time I upgrade, the picture quality increases exponentially.  My last camera is the 8MP that Michael did not find user friendly, but it works for me.  Yes, it has shortcomings.  Yes, it took time to learn, but I feel it is a good fit for me.  I can appreciate the fact that it doesn't work for Michael!  So I own the camera and he doesn't.  Guess what?  We're both happy.  Just read reviews, test some cameras, pick the one you like best, and forget the reviews.  Now get out there and take some pics.  Isn't that really what its all about?
Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up