Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Late summer on the River Barle, Exmoor  (Read 2124 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Late summer on the River Barle, Exmoor
« on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:42 pm »

A shot from yesterday's bimble along the Barle, just up from Tarr Steps (for those that might know the area)

Dick Roadnight

Re: Late summer on the River Barle, Exmoor
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:09:50 am »

A shot from yesterday's bimble along the Barle, just up from Tarr Steps (for those that might know the area)
Nice, Bill... someone else on the right side of the Pond!

It is nice to see the foreground in focus, but I think it would have looked better with the background in focus as well.

In shots of this type of scenery, I would try to look up the river and find some perspective to lead the eye somewhere.

Nobody ever agrees as to what is the right shutter speed for moving water - but I think the water looks good here... but if you used a smaller aperture to get more DOF you would lose it... and then you get the dilemma of pushing the ISO.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:15:29 am »

18mm, ISO 100, 1/3 sec @ f22. Everything is pretty much in focus, but I selectively sharpened to make the foreground Silver Birch stand out against the background trees, which were moving in the wind anyway, so slightly blurred.  

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:24:53 am »

I like it - its a very pleasant relaxing rural scene.

For me, I prefer my water with slightly longer shutter speeds for a silkier effect - but this is a personal preference and more akin to ones style than a technical 'right' or wrong'.

It 'may' have been more interesting if the perspective was looking more 'up' the river? - But thats hypothetical since we don't have that shot to compare against. Regardless, I like the slightly darker trees on the opposite bank for mood, its well composed, well exposed and pleasing. nice shot.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

degrub

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:56:58 am »

Now where is my fly rod......

Seriously, nice picture. Probably just me,  i see two bright areas creating two different pictures. Have you considered a crop near the rock protruding into the picture just to the left of the twiggy plant ? In the right hand picture i like the highlighted birch and the twiggy plant and in the left hand picture the tall flower and ferns draw my eye into the river and up to the bright area on the opposite bank.

Frank

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:38:24 am »

Thanks for the comments.

Shots up-river would require some wading, which would a) frighten the fish, and b) get me cold & wet. But something to consider for next time.

degrub: not sure I'm managing to navigate the picture based on the 'twiggy plant' & 'rock' directions! Maybe you could make the crop(s) & post them ...

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 01:44:40 pm »

Pleasant scene captured Bill. I would have prefered to get closer to the river, more intimate if I could / may say? Tastes differ of course and it goes without saying that the rivers here are much warmer, so wading is not an issue on this side.

degrub

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:28:03 am »

attached are my feeble attempts at cropping.
The right side one, would probably benefit by being slightly wider.
A second idea for the right side - a little tighter
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:36:17 am by degrub »

John R

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 08:30:46 pm »

Chairman Bill, I don't know what a full member is, but your comments and images are always interesting, even if I don't often agree.

I think your image is fine, but not great. I have many such images myself and I think I have figured out why I continue to take them despite seldom being satified with the results. The human eye and our ability to see and take in the beauty of the light, the mixed areas of dark, light and everything in between registers different in our brains than on a camera sensor or film. We just can't capture what we see and feel the same way. What I don't like about this image and my own similar shots, is the great disparity in tones, which results in many areas to black out or darken, lighten too much, and the water in some areas to white out. Yet I love this scene and will continue to try and capture similar scenes the best way I can. That's why I go for walks, its not just about the images. The image is not bad at all, and most people not acquainted with advanced photography would agree.

JMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up