Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: First impresson Harman by Hahnemuhle by a fan of Harman FB AI.  (Read 18227 times)

David Lozoya

Re: First impresson Harman by Hahnemuhle by a fan of Harman FB AI.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 03:17:38 pm »

Ok...I ordered the Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta 320 and after delivery I ran it thru my usual test prints and all I can say is wow! Excellent stuff to my eye. I run a color corrected workflow as well as view under a Solux. Now keep in mind I am printing in color. First I tried the old Harman profile, didn't like the sky...too magenta for my taste and then tried the new Hahnemuhle profile and found it spot on printing to my new Epson 3880.

Placed an order today for a 17x49 roll of this stuff. Will cut 17x25 sheets using my roto trim, flatten the prints (I sandwich them between particle board and place books on them), wait a week for the paper to lose its curl and then begin printing. One of the few drawbacks of this otherwise fine paper is that is scratches somewhat easily (due to the baryta?) if you are not careful, however, it is my understanding that all baryta coated papers have this issue.

I will eventually print some B&W and then again try the old vs new profile test. I suspect the old profile will probably win out for B&W. 

Sven W

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 05:36:25 pm »

I will eventually print some B&W and then again try the old vs new profile test. I suspect the old profile will probably win out for B&W. 

So you don't use the Epson ABW driver for B&W?

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

stevegoldenberg

• Steve Goldenberg Photography
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 08:23:15 pm »

Placed an order today for a 17x49 roll of this stuff. Will cut 17x25 sheets using my roto trim, flatten the prints (I sandwich them between particle board and place books on them), wait a week for the paper to lose its curl and then begin printing. One of the few drawbacks of this otherwise fine paper is that is scratches somewhat easily (due to the baryta?) if you are not careful, however, it is my understanding that all baryta coated papers have this issue.

David, this effectively eliminates the curl?  I'd love cut-sheets that size. 
Steve Goldenberg
Street &

David Lozoya

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 12:05:57 am »

Yes...it works. This is what I used to flatten my HP DJ 130 roll paper. Sometimes I roll the paper opposite the curl first and then flatten by sandwiching the sheets between particle board...it speeds up the process. I have been looking at the de-roller tool but it isn't cheap...so probably will stick with my method for now. 

Bill Koenig

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 03:16:30 pm »

The old Harman AL FB paper always came out of my 3800 scratched as it would warp under heavy ink load if you had a dark scene (pretty much unusable for B&W night shots) has this improved? I also had flatness problems trying to mat and frame 16x24 prints, it always had a waviness to it, has this improved?   
Why no 17x25 cut sheets? This is a show stopper for me, why can't they give me 3 more inches?
Bill Koenig,

Randy Carone

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 04:37:56 pm »

Hahnemuhle has announced the availability of 17" x 25" sheets of Harman Gloss Baryta. Currently, it is scheduled for release in the fall.
Randy Carone

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 02:11:01 am »

The old Harman AL FB paper always came out of my 3800 scratched as it would warp under heavy ink load if you had a dark scene (pretty much unusable for B&W night shots) has this improved? I also had flatness problems trying to mat and frame 16x24 prints, it always had a waviness to it, has this improved?  
Why no 17x25 cut sheets? This is a show stopper for me, why can't they give me 3 more inches?

Perhaps the cut is different, but (after flattening) the new 17" x 22" sheets do not seem to curl as much in the printer as the old 17" x 25" sheets.  I have not had to wet the backs before printing.  I still do it, though, as a matter of course, when there is an image with lots of black area, just in case.  I just printed a whole exhibit with no scratches, and all on 17" x 22" Harman by Hahnemuhle Glossy Baryta.  After the ink hardens, the paper seems quite resistant to handling, if not bulletproof.  The manufacturer says there is no change to the paper at all.  I disagree, but in a good way.  You can see my comparisons in the technical section of my website at www.dygartphotography.com.  I too wish they would get on with making the 25" long version available.  It's fall already, isn't it?

Aloha,

Aaron
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:16:26 am by AaronPhotog »
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

POAH

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 03:35:17 pm »

This must be a states only thing since harman FB AI is still avalable in the UK

Brad et al,

Sorry for the confusion.  The "old" Harman was called "Harman Photo Baryta FB AI": http://www.harman-inkjet.com/products/product.asp?n=67&t=HARMAN+PHOTO+BARYTA++FB 

That's the one that has been discontinued.   The "new" paper is the "Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta"   http://harman.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/834/gloss-baryta.html

Free printer profiles, PM me for info

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 04:05:28 pm »

Marginally off-topic: has anyone compared the new matt papers with the Harman matt paper (specifically Matt FB Mp)?

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 07:50:06 am »

Thought I'd share some quick impressions of these two papers:  I spent months over the last two years comparing a myriad of different papers on the Epson 4800 and now the Epson 3880 searching for the paper that I feel had the greatest tonal range, most sharpness and best "pop" to the look of its images.  I quickly landed on the Baryta papers as the best of the bunch and I have tested almost all of them.  After this first test I came to love the Harman FB AI.  It produces deep, oily blacks, delicate highlights and a beautiful glossy surface that is incredibly similar to my old fiber prints from my days printing B&W in the dark room.  I liked to challenge my silver-printing friends that a B&W Harman from an Epson printer could hold up to a selenium-tone silver print. 

Steve,

thanks a lot for sharing your test and your impressions.

Since I love the Harman FB Al as well (after intensive paper test with HP Vivera inks in my case)  I also was a bit concerned when I read that Hahnemühle took over the production.

When I was on Photokina two weeks ago I talked to an Hahnemühle guy at their stand and asked him whether something with paper might have changed. He told me that the paper is exactly the same as the Harman paper, better to say it is the Harman paper, only the packaging and branding has changed, not the paper.

So, I wonder reading your findings, though they seem to have brought even slight improvements.

Best regards

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 07:59:56 am »

This must be a states only thing since harman FB AI is still avalable in the UK

POAH,

I don't think so. Here in Germany you can still buy the "old" Harman Baryta FB AI as well as the Harman by Hahnemühle Gloss Baryta since about 3 or 4 months. The old Harman Baryta FB AI is simply "on stock paper" that will be sold out in the next months and totally replaced by the Harman by Hahnemühle Gloss Baryta.

Best regards

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

djoy

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 01:04:32 pm »

Hello all.

This is also my favourite paper ( althought the dust when cutting rolls is irritating ), so I thought I'd chip in with a bit of information.

In March 2010 at the "Focus On Imaging" show in the UK ( our version of PMA ) I spent some time speaking with the Marketing Director of Harman, we had a jolly good conversation and he was a very nice man, very enthusiastic about what he does and very forthcoming with information. The topic of conversation was the Harman Gloss FB Al paper.

He told me that it was being discontinued and rebranded under the Hahnemuhle name. The reason behind this was because Harman are not well known in Fine Art circles whereas the Hahnemuhle brand is ubiquitous for paper. Harman know their paper is very good and want access to this market, this is most quickly and easily achieved under the Hahnemuhle moniker.

He also told me that the paper was the same, it was made to the same formula, on the same machines, in the same factory. It is manufactured by Harman, and sold under the Hahnemuhle brand.

Regrettably it seems the price has increased quite a bit, I kind of expected this given Hahnemuhle's track record for pricing.  :(

I imagine it's also possible they took the opportunity to refine the formula of the coating during the "relaunch" but not having seen the "new" stuff I can't compare, I'll have to wait until next Feb to ask him. ;)

All Thumbs

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 01:42:08 am »

Howdy all,

A few weeks ago I decided to try my hand at something other than matte papers.  I had some 13x19 AI FB  around so I printed a few prints and really liked the results.  I ordered a box of HbH warm and Gloss 8.5x11.  Both boxes had about half an inch of curl at each end of the paper.  A really sharp guy would have sent the paper back or let it decurl under weight for a few days, but I tried a quick "decurl".  The vacuum doesn't work to well on paper this thick and the paper attacked the carriage of my 7880.  I don't think there is head damage but...    I did send the paper back...   Anybody else noticed any curl on HbH. 

All's well that ends well.   

David Good

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 07:19:01 am »

Anybody else noticed any curl on HbH.   

My sheets of the Harman curled during the summer when the humidity was high, I now store them upside down, take from the bottom, and if necessary "decurl" the four corners carefully by hand. So far no head strikes. I have not yet tried Aaron's method of dampening the back of the paper before printing though.

Dave

RichFisher

Disappointed that they dropped 17x25
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 04:18:38 pm »

I have been using this Harman FB AI WM on my 4880 to print 16x24 on 17x25 paper.  Since Hahnemühle took over the paper, they dropped the 17x25 size and moved to a 17x22.  Great for 16x20 but some of us still use 35mm cameras -- in fact there are many more 35 mm photographers than there are medium format photographers.

So it is either roll paper (in which I will need to get/build a d Roller) or find another paper.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 11:48:10 pm »

Harman FbAl is my favorite too for both color and B&W (QTR and ABW). Since my stock is almost gone now, I'm ready to order some of the new subtrate by Hahnemuhle. Any new comments from people currently using the "new" one?
Thanks in advanced
Eduardo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up