Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignorance  (Read 79638 times)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Ignorance
« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2010, 08:14:07 am »

Steve, this is becoming really dry, boring and repetitive. Your focus on people, instead of issues, that is. Your ad hominem.

Ever since you returned to the thread on page 12, I have not heard from you a single argument in favor or against an issue, but rather a patronizing litany of psycho-analyses, belittling, thinly veiled or outright insults, etc., of other people on this thread. Your use of textbook logical fallacies and dirty debate tactics is simply boring for me.

I will be happy to continue sparing with you on issues, but will refrain from enabling and indulging your shoot-the-messanger tactics.
Well gee Slobodan.  All I've heard on the issues since I've returned has been remarkably ignorant remarks that should embarrass the originators to the core.  If you think trying to get people to think and analyze their thought patterns and what comes out of their keyboard as "dry", then guilty as charged.  

Frankly, I refuse to stoop to the level I've heard here on the last few pages (concerning the issues) so I'll stay with my current tact if you don't mind.  Up the decorum and show you have real original thoughts, AND support them, and I'll join in on the issues.  Until then it's much more fun to analyze the source of such ignorance and hatred.

Outright insults?   I could never insult someone enough as they do themselves when they come out with a statement such as this:

"The party!? What party? You call a collection of loonies a party? A bunch of closet racists, white supremacists, KKKs, and just plain backward weirdos and wackos, who woke up one day in shock to find their country has a black, "foreign-born", "marxists/fascist" president, with a "deep-seated hatred for white people"? Who realized it is much more politically correct and mass-appealing to portray their rabid anger as "against big government", than to get out of their closets and show their true face (though they are, luckily, not very successful in hiding it). They were nowhere to be heard when gazillions of dollars went for wars of choice and nation building abroad, but start foaming at the mouth when some of that money goes to provide health care for underprivileged in their own country?"

I gave you a chance to redeem yourself.. to reconsider such blatant ignorance and approach the discussion from a more mature perspective.. In fact I practically begged for it.  But somehow you consider the words of yours I quoted as "reasonable discussion."  I disagree.  I'd hang my head in shame if I penned that missive.  Now, if you consider that insulting.. then consider the source.  You.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:25:05 am by Steve Weldon »
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2010, 08:17:58 am »

Don't you see the connection? If America interests you so much and you would like to change it's political thinking why don't you return and do so? Are you waiting for it to happen and then you will jump on the first plane. Much like Sean Connery who resides in the Bahamas and moans about Scotland not being independent. He states he will return to live when it happens. You live in Bangkok which is part of a totalitarian regime. This seems to chime with your political and possibly your other thinking. Pissing on other peoples opinions with a haughty disdain.  ::)

No, I would never see that connection.  First, its not a connection.  Second, it's incredibly short sighted to think I need to actually reside in my home country to understand or participate in its politics.  The person who suggested I couldn't possibly keep up on USA news because I live in Asia probably is one of the 80% of American's who have never held a passport. 

Perhaps you can educate me.  What can I do concerning my countries politics in America, that I can't do in Asia?  Give me some examples.

I

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #282 on: September 25, 2010, 08:22:53 am »

I will be happy to continue sparing with you on issues, but will refrain from enabling and indulging your shoot-the-messanger tactics.
I'm sure you would.  But from what I've seen of you on the issues, I don't consider you qualified to discuss them.  The "messenger" needs to improve their logic, tact, and ability to comprehend that which they read.  Independent thought would be highly valued as well.  Until I see such improvement I'll pick the subjects I think will do the most good.  Thank you very much.

I must apologize in advance, I've tried very hard to prompt thought but the resistance is stunning.  But since you force the issue(s) I owe it to you to respond.  It's only polite.

Rob C

« Reply #283 on: September 25, 2010, 11:28:45 am »

The trouble with anger is that it makes clear, concise, focused writing impossible.

Rob C

MichaelWorley

« Reply #284 on: September 25, 2010, 06:02:05 pm »

"Looking elsewhere is sometimes convenient and why would be forced to consider things we think we are not interested in? At the same time, how can we be sure that ignoring content isn't going to deprive us from an opportunity to become a bit less ignorant?"

Indeed. Sitting here listening to nothing but the intrusive hum of the fan.

Do you remember our first exchange? Some years ago at dpreview, concerning this image:

http://www.pbase.com/mike_worley/image/128811013

I had posted it, with some paragraphs of text, explaining what and where it was, how it was unusual to see it unobscured by fog, and that when you do see it, it does appear to float, as many people have said.

You responded that the image was no better than anyone could have captured with a P&S.

Doubtlessly true. I responded to say that the image hadn't been submitted as fine art, or for critique, but only to illustrate what I had just written.

Our next exchange was somewhat later when I told you that your submission to Radiant Vista had been selected as picture of the week.

Now, if either of us had gotten into a snit and put the other on the "ignore" list, you would have been ignorant of that news. At least until someone else told you.

Mike

stamper

« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2010, 03:45:30 am »

No, I would never see that connection.  First, its not a connection.  Second, it's incredibly short sighted to think I need to actually reside in my home country to understand or participate in its politics.  The person who suggested I couldn't possibly keep up on USA news because I live in Asia probably is one of the 80% of American's who have never held a passport. 

Perhaps you can educate me.  What can I do concerning my countries politics in America, that I can't do in Asia?  Give me some examples.

I

Vote?

stamper

« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2010, 03:47:07 am »

Steve after much consideration I now believe that you are a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2010, 11:21:28 am »

Vote?

US expats can vote from abroad.

Rob C

« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2010, 12:25:46 pm »

US expats can vote from abroad.

This becomes morally dificult. So can Brits, if registered, influence UK elections, but I even doubt the morality of an expat living within the EEC exercising his right to vote regarding politics within his host country, which Spain does allow at local election level. I think it's similar to the migrant arriving in Britain, understanding nothing about the local scene, but knowing that putting the X in the right place can guarantee hand-outs for ever. I think it is just as questionable a right for those independent of govt. hand-outs: an alien never really understands the issues nor the inflexions within newspapers or tv; probably finds it difficult even to gauge the political bias of some newspapers, whilst some here are so extreme as possibly to embarrass their own readership. What else to use as measure of what's going down?

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up