Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignorance  (Read 79635 times)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Ignorance
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2010, 10:25:25 am »

As does my daughter ... she's often hosting Tea Parties at our home for her dolls and imaginary friends.  The conversations they have are quite informed and rational about the issues of the day.

These teabaggers masquerading as teapartiers need to respect the true history of teapartying.

Maybe John Stewart can address this point at the March To Restore Sanity.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you really haven't taken a good look at the teaparty and its goals and motivation. 

I find the mainstream media hype about that which the fear.. and lately greatly fear.. embarrassing for them.  It's even more embarrassing when private citizens carry their talking points with little or no comprehension of its purpose or goals.

Of course I'm sure you could show some examples of the fringe loons and try to convince us they actually represent the party.  This is a very commons strategy.  Those political analyst finally waking up and showing a willing to understand vs. fear.. are quite shocked by what they find.  And even more scared assuming they disagree with their agenda.

25 political pics, 16 successes.. most of them very long shots.  The Tea Party is very strong and getting stronger.  And every time someone invokes John Stewart or Stephen Colbert as a journalist.. the tea party grows stronger.  Like any other political party, they count on the ignorance of those who oppose them.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

jeremypayne

« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2010, 10:44:48 am »

Don't you live in Bangkok?  When was the last time you lived in the US, Steve?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42:57 am »

... I find the mainstream media hype about that which the fear.. and lately greatly fear.. embarrassing for them...

English is not my first language, so I would appreciate if you would enlighten me with the meaning of this almost Shakespearean phrase, especially the "about that which the fear" part?

... the party...

The party!? What party? You call a collection of loonies a party? A bunch of closet racists, white supremacists, KKKs, and just plain backward weirdos and wackos, who woke up one day in shock to find their country has a black, "foreign-born", "marxists/fascist" president, with a "deep-seated hatred for white people"? Who realized it is much more politically correct and mass-appealing to portray their rabid anger as "against big government", than to get out of their closets and show their true face (though they are, luckily, not very successful in hiding it). They were nowhere to be heard when gazillions of dollars went for wars of choice and nation building abroad, but start foaming at the mouth when some of that money goes to provide health care for underprivileged in their own country?

...The Tea Party is very strong and getting stronger...

That, if true, is very, very sad and scary.

... And every time someone invokes John Stewart or Stephen Colbert as a journalist...

Those two belong to a very small group of true journalists today. And that is sad and scary too. For news, I turn to Comedy Central... for (tragi)comedy, I watch Fox News.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:06:50 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

jeremypayne

« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2010, 01:18:11 pm »

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you really haven't taken a good look at the teaparty and its goals and motivation.
Your wild guess is off-the-mark.  I'm a avid student of modern American politics and have been paying close attention since about 1976.
The 'goals' of the tea party 'movement' are vague generally misguided notions informed by ignorance and prejudice ... and the 'motivation' is fear and anger from the reptilian side of the brain.

I find the mainstream media hype about that which the fear.. and lately greatly fear.. embarrassing for them.  It's even more embarrassing when private citizens carry their talking points with little or no comprehension of its purpose or goals.
Verbally attacking "the mainstream media" is a talking point carried around by private citizens with little or no comprehension of the issues at hand.

Of course I'm sure you could show some examples of the fringe loons and try to convince us they actually represent the party.  This is a very commons strategy.  Those political analyst finally waking up and showing a willing to understand vs. fear.. are quite shocked by what they find.  And even more scared assuming they disagree with their agenda
The teabaggers will be just like the reform party.  Anger is not a governing strategy.
We need good government and leadership, not angry drivel from empty-headed windbags.

25 political pics, 16 successes.. most of them very long shots.  The Tea Party is very strong and getting stronger.  And every time someone invokes John Stewart or Stephen Colbert as a journalist.. the tea party grows stronger.  Like any other political party, they count on the ignorance of those who oppose them.
Winning a Republican primary is awesome … that and a token gets you a subway ride.
Let’s see how it all plays out … I think the teabaggers are just what the Republicans needed … a  circus within the circus.

Rob C

« Reply #264 on: September 23, 2010, 04:17:33 pm »

Now I understand what teabaggers means! Iced tea from Alaska!

However, having spent a holiday as a kid on a friend's father's tea plantation in Southern India, I can vouch for tea bags holding not tea, but the dust they couldn't sell as loose-leaf, high-grade product.

Plus ça change...

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #265 on: September 23, 2010, 04:59:49 pm »

... tea bags holding not tea, but the dust they couldn't sell as loose-leaf, high-grade product...

What a beautiful metaphor! If only you replaced "dust" with "dirt" ;)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #266 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:06 pm »

Don't you live in Bangkok?  When was the last time you lived in the US, Steve?

Oh My, please don't report me to immigration.. ;o) (did the Avatar to your left give me away?)

10 years total in Bangkok, 23+ in Asia, a few short breaks in America.

Never fear, my English, French, Aussie, Kiwi, Dutch, and other friends keep me fully informed on the worlds view of the US..   Its truly enlightening to hear so many different takes on the same issues.  

I suppose the one constant. or the main lesson I've learned.. is an extremist on one side of the issue, is just as dangerous as an extremist on the other side.  And most people who go around spouting other peoples talking points, are largely uneducated on the particular facts..
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:21:44 pm by Steve Weldon »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #267 on: September 23, 2010, 10:57:14 pm »

English is not my first language, so I would appreciate if you would enlighten me with the meaning of this almost Shakespearean phrase, especially the "about that which the fear" part?
A mere slip of the key my friend.  Allow me to rephrase:  "about that which they fear.."   (left out the 'y', an accident I assure you.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2010, 11:01:20 pm »

The party!? What party? You call a collection of loonies a party? A bunch of closet racists, white supremacists, KKKs, and just plain backward weirdos and wackos, who woke up one day in shock to find their country has a black, "foreign-born", "marxists/fascist" president, with a "deep-seated hatred for white people"? Who realized it is much more politically correct and mass-appealing to portray their rabid anger as "against big government", than to get out of their closets and show their true face (though they are, luckily, not very successful in hiding it). They were nowhere to be heard when gazillions of dollars went for wars of choice and nation building abroad, but start foaming at the mouth when some of that money goes to provide health care for underprivileged in their own country?
Sigh.. this kind of mindset might have been forgiven a year ago when the media was unfairly targeting these folks and most of the news about them was heavily biased and slanted.  But today there really is no excuse.  I'll tell you what I'm going to do.  I"m going to forget you said this and not hold it again you.. which will give you a chance to do a bit of research and reevaluate your take on this group.

You see, failure to do so, at least so far for their opponents, has resulted in almost certain defeat at the ballot boxes.

I'll leave you to your research.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #269 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:26 pm »

Your wild guess is off-the-mark.  I'm a avid student of modern American politics and have been paying close attention since about 1976.
Alas, avid I'll give you, but astute I will not.  In a single post you have shown more abject ignorance and used more extremist talking points than in this entire thread.  Congratulations!  I'm sure it made you feel warm, kinda like peeing in your pants I'm sure.

And no "mainstream media" is not a talking point.  Not by itself.  It's a recognized term used by both parties to denote the major (mainstream) news networks and politically motivated talk shows.. which btw.. Fox is one of.  Actually you could say Fox is the biggest mainstream media source currently in existence since they have more viewers on a consistent basis than ALL the other networks put together.

Somehow I fail to be shocked to learn the major contributors in this thread get their news from Comedy Central and shows like The View.  GO Whoopee!

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #270 on: September 23, 2010, 11:13:16 pm »

Now I understand what teabaggers means! Iced tea from Alaska!

However, having spent a holiday as a kid on a friend's father's tea plantation in Southern India, I can vouch for tea bags holding not tea, but the dust they couldn't sell as loose-leaf, high-grade product.

Plus ça change...

Rob C
Keep trying Rob..   It was interesting to note that when the term first started flying across the major networks (mainstream media) it was the extreme left who were familiar with the term which left the tea party folks running for their urban dictionaries.    Appropriate for the bedroom, far from appropriate for "distinguished news anchors" to use on the nightly news.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #271 on: September 23, 2010, 11:13:23 pm »

Of course they can.. and that's exactly what I did.  I focused on the important part(s).. to me.. and left the outdated/extraneous/completed stuff behind.

Yes, which makes for the kind of boring conversations you just criticized a few posts above...  ;D

Things aren't improving Steve.

Cheers,
Bernard

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #272 on: September 23, 2010, 11:17:09 pm »

Yes, which makes for the kind of boring conversations you just criticized a few posts above...  ;D

Things aren't improving Steve.

Cheers,
Bernard

I must apologize for not being entertaining enough!  Don't fret, I suspect the Comedy Central educated folks will pump things up a bit and we'll soon have fine entertainment..

Give anarchy a chance.. (not by John Lennon)..

stamper

« Reply #273 on: September 24, 2010, 04:12:29 am »

Quote Steve

Never fear, my English, French, Aussie, Kiwi, Dutch, and other friends keep me fully informed on the worlds view of the US..   Its truly enlightening to hear so many different takes on the same issues. 

I suppose the one constant. or the main lesson I've learned.. is an extremist on one side of the issue, is just as dangerous as an extremist on the other side.  And most people who go around spouting other peoples talking points, are largely uneducated on the particular facts..

Unquote

Is this an admission?

jeremypayne

« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2010, 08:06:59 am »

Oh My, please don't report me to immigration.. ;o) (did the Avatar to your left give me away?)

10 years total in Bangkok, 23+ in Asia, a few short breaks in America.

Never fear, my English, French, Aussie, Kiwi, Dutch, and other friends keep me fully informed on the worlds view of the US..   Its truly enlightening to hear so many different takes on the same issues. 

I suppose the one constant. or the main lesson I've learned.. is an extremist on one side of the issue, is just as dangerous as an extremist on the other side.  And most people who go around spouting other peoples talking points, are largely uneducated on the particular facts..

I see.  Let me get this straight ... You're gonna really argue that you have a handle on internal American politics because you talk to people from the UK, France, Australia, New Zealand and Holland on regular basis?

The fact that you don't know that attacking "the media" as part of a debate on American politics is talking point #3 on Rush Limbaugh's quick-start guide "5 Easy Ways to Avoid a Real Debate" is proof you aren't remotely connected to our internal politics.

Sorry, you can't sit in Asia and talk to non-Americans and get a perspective on Sarah Palin and the looney right-wing.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2010, 10:55:40 am »

Quote Steve

Unquote

Is this an admission?

An observation.   Surely you can do better than such an unsupported remark?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2010, 11:10:50 am »

I see.  Let me get this straight ... You're gonna really argue that you have a handle on internal American politics because you talk to people from the UK, France, Australia, New Zealand and Holland on regular basis?

The fact that you don't know that attacking "the media" as part of a debate on American politics is talking point #3 on Rush Limbaugh's quick-start guide "5 Easy Ways to Avoid a Real Debate" is proof you aren't remotely connected to our internal politics.

Sorry, you can't sit in Asia and talk to non-Americans and get a perspective on Sarah Palin and the looney right-wing.

On my, I think we have a real thinker amongst us..  ::)

Let me be more clear.

1.  I stated I get a "world view" on American politics from listening to people from all around the globe.  I stated this very clearly.  Surely you know people from other countries have views on USA politics?  If there's a single country most other countries keep up with politically.. its the USA. 

2.   You seem very familiar with Rush Limbaugh, is he one of your political mentors?  If by now, you don't understand the huge influence the media holds over politics, in every country in the world bar a few dictatorships.. or that "the pen is mightier than the sword" then I'm afraid your thought processes hasn't progressed very far at all.  If you like I can suggest some great texts on the subject which I'm sure you'd find enlightening.  But to suggest that one man dominates or holds the key to this subject is just plain ludicrous.

3.  Actually I can sit in Asia and talk to "non-Americans" (we call them 'people' over here..) and get 'a perspective' on American politics and "Sarah Palin."  I get THEIR perspective.  And it's far more educated and thoughtful than the comments I've heard in this thread such as "teabagging" "closet racists" and so forth.  Seriously, sometimes I think I'm reading the thoughts of hillbillies.  But my family descended from hillbillies and on average, I find them much more enlightened.   Sadly enough, on whole, I find the perspective of people from other countries far more educated and thoughtful.   And of course you've been introduced to the internet?  Television?  International news channels?  Slingbox?  Torrents?  To suggest that I have less political information available to me, than someone sitting in the USA, is well.. there really is no polite way of saying it.  So I won't.  It is however, blatantly obvious.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #277 on: September 24, 2010, 11:52:36 am »

Sigh.. I"m going to forget you said this and not hold it again[st] you..

Steve, this is becoming really dry, boring and repetitive. Your focus on people, instead of issues, that is. Your ad hominem.

Ever since you returned to the thread on page 12, I have not heard from you a single argument in favor or against an issue, but rather a patronizing litany of psycho-analyses, belittling, thinly veiled or outright insults, etc., of other people on this thread. Your use of textbook logical fallacies and dirty debate tactics is simply boring for me.

I will be happy to continue sparing with you on issues, but will refrain from enabling and indulging your shoot-the-messanger tactics.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:16:15 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

stamper

« Reply #278 on: September 25, 2010, 04:07:56 am »

An observation.   Surely you can do better than such an unsupported remark?

Don't you see the connection? If America interests you so much and you would like to change it's political thinking why don't you return and do so? Are you waiting for it to happen and then you will jump on the first plane. Much like Sean Connery who resides in the Bahamas and moans about Scotland not being independent. He states he will return to live when it happens. You live in Bangkok which is part of a totalitarian regime. This seems to chime with your political and possibly your other thinking. Pissing on other peoples opinions with a haughty disdain.  ::)

Rob C

« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2010, 04:15:25 am »

Don't you see the connection? If America interests you so much and you would like to change it's political thinking why don't you return and do so? Are you waiting for it to happen and then you will jump on the first plane. Much like Sean Connery who resides in the Bahamas and moans about Scotland not being independent. He states he will return to live when it happens. You live in Bangkok which is part of a totalitarian regime. This seems to chime with your political and possibly your other thinking. Pissing on other peoples opinions with a haughty disdain.  ::)

Stamper!

"Much like Sean Connery who resides in the Bahamas and moans about Scotland not being independent. He states he will return to live when it happens."

Man, that's the SNP Member for Lyford Quay you're talking about! Have some respect!

;-)

Rob C

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up