Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignorance  (Read 79715 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Ignorance
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2010, 03:48:41 pm »

... I don't know the answer.  Sometimes you have to throw in a bit of chum and see what surfaces..."[/i]   Great Granddaddy was a wise man.   Everyone fits in somewhere, why would I try to pin a label on anyone when they've demonstrated such skill in doing it themselves?...

Wise man, your great granddad, indeed. Even wiser fish, if they were capable of labeling themselves, upon surfacing.

As for me, labeling myself... I am pleading the Fifth. ;)

On the other hand, if you have a problem with anything I said (and apparently you do, since you quoted my post), please feel free to dispute it directly, without labels (direct or implied).

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2010, 06:45:58 pm »

Synchronisation a problem? Come on, anyone setting up a shoot to another country, using models from different places, can synchronise three flights pretty easily; who knows how many flights were actually manned with mad people capable of striking within the time framework that constituted the minutes of open season? Once the airforce was active, too late. Hold until the next available space. Trouble with that is they don't make shoes like they used to.

You are right, I hadn't thought of that.

Cheers,
Bernard

JohnKoerner

« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2010, 07:46:28 pm »

John, you know what? This is the first post of yours that I like 100%! I would have liked it even more had you quoted one of your own posts, instead of Christoph's.

Slobodan, you know what? For an educated man, you still struggle even with the most basic logic.

100% = 100%

This means, if you liked my previous post "100%," then there is no possibility you could have liked it "even more"

Keep expressing yourself visually, refrain from using words, and you will soon become my favorite poster!  :) :) :)

Since some of you fellows seem to have so much trouble following the implied logic of words, and seem to prefer trying to follow the meaning of images, see if you can follow the meaning of this one:

Regards,

Jack

DarkPenguin

« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2010, 08:27:10 pm »

Is 100% of 1 equal to 100% of 2?

stamper

« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2010, 04:19:45 am »

On the other hand, if you have a problem with anything I said (and apparently you do, since you quoted my post), please feel free to dispute it directly, without labels (direct or implied).
[/quote]

Alas some people find that difficult or impossible. Then again it could be deliberate. This isn't aimed at you Slobodan.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #245 on: September 22, 2010, 03:34:37 am »

The things we reveal..  Your assumption that I have a problem with "anything I said" is interesting.

1.  We must assume that no one agrees with our personal POV 100%.. therefore there will be things we say someone might not agree with.  This shouldn't be interpreted that it's reached a 'problem' level.  I'm perfectly secure in my existence when others have a different opinion on many if not most issues.  In other words, while I may not agree with something you said, it would be a mistake to assume it bothers me enough to make a post about it.. especially if I hadn't taken the time to address it directly.  Snide remarks from small minds aside, I'd guess this is most often the response when someone reads a forum post.

2.  Could there be another reason I picked your post to quote?  Such as throughout this thread you've demonstrated a thick enough skin and an appropriate level of intellect where you wouldn't take offense or assume I was targeting you directly?  After all, we must jump off somewhere.

3.  Its funny.. if the mere mention, or reminder perhaps, that people are well capable of self-labeling triggers introspect.. well.. perhaps we can and should find room for self-improvement.  We all fit into this category I'm sure.  After all, the last perfect man some don't even believe existed.

Veering off to the side...

This thread has been interesting to observe.  The value of participation vs. observation became clear to me by the 6th page.  Why?

How people present a point, or more aggressively debate a point.. says much about their knowledge and confidence of the given subject.  For instance:  If someone starts off with an inane label such as "teabagger" (which connotes a vulgar sex act (some might not agree with the 'vulgar' part)) vs. the correct term "teapartier" do you assume they're just ignorant of the correct terminology (a serious breach of intellect), or that they're being deliberately provocative (a serious breech of manners)?  Or maybe they're just the proverbial sheep who hasn't stopped to consider what they're saying at all (a serious breech of self)?  Either way would you take this person seriously in debate?

Or how about when you're discussing Point A and someone responds with Point Z66 which is so far off the original point all you can assume is a lack of confidence in their position on Point A and they're trying to insult your intelligence by seeing if you'll jump to Point Z66 and forget Point A.. or perhaps they just have trouble following the conversation?  Either way, is that person worth debating with?

I could present many such examples, but I hope I've illustrated my point.  And maybe the reason only a few have participated in what is really a very interesting if not volatile subject.  Its just downright boring discussing the topic in such a matter.

As my dearly departed great granddaddy was so fond of saying:  "If you're not having fun, flip her over and try her that way.."
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Rob C

« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2010, 05:09:38 am »

I love these references to sex!

I'm obviously too old to understand them - teabagging? - what the hell is that? We never talked about it in my schooldays.

Guess it must be the Puritan in me - oops! sorry! wasn't being literal, I hasten to add.

Confused.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2010, 08:42:32 am »

Or how about when you're discussing Point A and someone responds with Point Z66 which is so far off the original point all you can assume is a lack of confidence in their position on Point A and they're trying to insult your intelligence by seeing if you'll jump to Point Z66 and forget Point A.. or perhaps they just have trouble following the conversation?  Either way, is that person worth debating with?

Hum... would replying only to a secondary part of a long quote while avoiding replying to the main point being presented be a variant of such low tactics? :)

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2010, 09:37:30 am »

... see if you can follow the meaning of this one:

That you have an intermittent urination problem? :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2010, 10:55:28 am »

...you wouldn't take offense or assume I was targeting you directly...

So, it was not all about me, me? :( Phew... Come to think of it, why wasting money on shrinks when Steve is around?  ;)

But seriously, apart from a slightly patronizing and lecturing tone of your posts, in points 1-3 you generalized enough to make it difficult not to agree with you.

Veering off to the side...

...  Either way would you take this person seriously in debate?... Either way, is that person worth debating with?...

Maybe I would not, but I tend to think issues are what is worth debating, not persons. On the other hand, when it comes to persons, I do not mind joking with or teasing (certain) posters, nor I mind if someone does that to me. I try not to take neither myself, nor most issues too seriously.

As for provocative language, I actually find it funnier and more stimulating than a dry debate. Again, if one is capable of separating underlying issues from their provocative surface.

The same goes for the Point Z66... it just might be worth (or fun) addressing, regardless of its poster's intentions. Many threads start about something quite different than what they end up with. As long as posters do not mind and enjoy the ride, I do not see a problem with that. Especially when the topic is as broad as "ignorance"... I would not be surprised if it turns out to be the longest thread ever, given that everyone is intimately familiar with the subject, one way or another.

As for "teapartiers", I find that term much more insulting*

* to the beverage, that is

Rob C

« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2010, 04:54:43 am »

"As my dearly departed great granddaddy was so fond of saying:  "If you're not having fun, flip her over and try her that way.."

Quite a coincidence, the number of associations here on LuLa with aircraft.

Reminds me of a story I heard.

Sally came home to Mum and told her that all the boys at school kept pestering her to do cartwheels because she was so good at them.

"Don't do it," said Mum, "they only want to see your knickers!"

"I know," replied Sally, "but I've hidden them!"

Rob C

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2010, 07:41:25 am »

Hum... would replying only to a secondary part of a long quote while avoiding replying to the main point being presented be a variant of such low tactics? :)

Cheers,
Bernard

Only if you think every point in a post needs to be addressed every time.  I apologize for not being that anal..

Geez, how long to you want my replies to be..  ::)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2010, 07:46:15 am »

So, it was not all about me, me? :( Phew... Come to think of it, why wasting money on shrinks when Steve is around?  ;)

But seriously, apart from a slightly patronizing and lecturing tone of your posts, in points 1-3 you generalized enough to make it difficult not to agree with you.

Of course it wasn't all about you.  You don't think 'that' much of yourself do you?   ;D

Generalized enough to make it difficult to not agree.. hmm..  Diplomacy?  A middle non-extremist ground upon which we can both comfortably stand? 

You don't think the patronizing part could be more about your personal frame of reference in regards to your interpretation?

I'm just askin..  ???

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2010, 07:49:40 am »

As for provocative language, I actually find it funnier and more stimulating than a dry debate. Again, if one is capable of separating underlying issues from their provocative surface.

I'd much rather stimulate your intellect than your anger.  "Dry" is when someone uses tactics to prevent progression of the discussion.  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:53:53 am by Steve Weldon »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2010, 07:51:39 am »

The same goes for the Point Z66... it just might be worth (or fun) addressing, regardless of its poster's intentions. Many threads start about something quite different than what they end up with.
True, but we both know that wasn't the point I was making.  Regardless, I know the point was made and understood and I hope it helps promote the discussion.

stamper

« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2010, 07:59:05 am »

Quote Steve

Oh my, I just spit my Pepsi-max through my nose all over my new monitors.  Thank you for the laugh, it was very much needed this morning.

Unquote

More stains on your monitors? ::)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:24 am »

Quote Steve

Oh my, I just spit my Pepsi-max through my nose all over my new monitors.  Thank you for the laugh, it was very much needed this morning.

Unquote

More stains on your monitors? ::)

Damn, you did it again!  That was truly funny..  :D

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:11 am »

Only if you think every point in a post needs to be addressed every time.  I apologize for not being that anal..

Geez, how long to you want my replies to be..  ::)

They can be short if they focus on the important part.

Cheers,
Bernard

jeremypayne

« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2010, 10:16:00 am »

As for "teapartiers", I find that term much more insulting*
* to the beverage, that is

As does my daughter ... she's often hosting Tea Parties at our home for her dolls and imaginary friends.  The conversations they have are quite informed and rational about the issues of the day.

These teabaggers masquerading as teapartiers need to respect the true history of teapartying.

Maybe John Stewart can address this point at the March To Restore Sanity.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2010, 10:17:10 am »

They can be short if they focus on the important part.

Cheers,
Bernard

Of course they can.. and that's exactly what I did.  I focused on the important part(s).. to me.. and left the outdated/extraneous/completed stuff behind.

Are you staying that you reserve the right to designate the part of a post which should be important to me?  Scary.

I'm guessing your original comment was mostly tongue in cheek and you didn't adequately analysis the parts I commented on, and the parts I let go by without word.  People do this for the sake of making a point.  Yet, it's a much better point made if you can illustrate your own point.   I'm just sayin..  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up