Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still life table  (Read 9455 times)

amsp

Still life table
« on: September 02, 2010, 04:49:54 am »

Anyone have any recommendations on a good still life table? Need to buy one soon and I'd like to avoid any future frustration.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Re: Still life table
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:20:31 am »

I have been using the Elinchrom multi table for years. After some modifications it has been a joy in use. I bought several different plexiplates to replace the standard ones and to have a bit more choice. This table has point where you can insert a spigot to mount lights or other stuf like flags, reflectors, clamps, etc. The frame itself is sturdy enough to mount most stuff onto it with things like superclamps.

The table is somewhat small with 80cm's for the plexi, OTOH I find that much nicer to work with for small items than larger 1m tables for instance.

The newer table is supposed to be even nicer in use, from the looks of the frame it seems more possibilities of adjustment and a better frame to hook-up all the other stuff.

The thing is expensive but as the saying goes, the joy of usage remains long after the pain of purchase has disappeared (or something like that). The newer one is slightly cheaper than my older version was.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:23:09 am by Dustbak »

amsp

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:42:04 am »

I have been using the Elinchrom multi table for years. After some modifications it has been a joy in use. I bought several different plexiplates to replace the standard ones and to have a bit more choice. This table has point where you can insert a spigot to mount lights or other stuf like flags, reflectors, clamps, etc. The frame itself is sturdy enough to mount most stuff onto it with things like superclamps.

The table is somewhat small with 80cm's for the plexi, OTOH I find that much nicer to work with for small items than larger 1m tables for instance.

The newer table is supposed to be even nicer in use, from the looks of the frame it seems more possibilities of adjustment and a better frame to hook-up all the other stuff.

The thing is expensive but as the saying goes, the joy of usage remains long after the pain of purchase has disappeared (or something like that). The newer one is slightly cheaper than my older version was.

Thanks for the feedback, what modifications did you do? Money isn't really a problem, they're all pretty expensive and I just want to get the one that will give me the least headache in the long run, besides I'm not paying for it ;) Where can I see the new version, do you have a link?

cheers

BJNY

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:23:54 am »

I saw it on display at Digital Transitions in NYC, and took note of this 220B model from Manfrotto:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325374-REG/Manfrotto_220B_Large_Still_Life_Shooting.html
Guillermo

BJNY

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:44:00 am »

Guillermo

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:01:23 am »

Here is a link to the PDF of the multi-table on the Elinchrom website:

http://www.elinchrom.com/download.php?file=ZG93bmxvYWQvZWxfbXVsdGktdGFibGUucGRm

I took off the standard plexiplates and got myself some that had different opacities. I got one white with 0% translucency, one with a 35% translucency and one with 65%. I got a clear perspex one. I got these plates in thicker versions as well (8mm's). Looking at the new table I am not sure what the thickness is that can be inserted in the new holders. The older versio you can put in pretty thick plates and you use nylon bolts to tighten the plate.

I hardly use the back arms that create the round shape, in many cases the object I shoot are small enough I don't need it and these arms are not very handy on the old one. I now often use PVC paper that I clamp to an aluminium cross pole held up with autopoles and clamps.

Sure you could easily make one yourself too. I do think I would personally skip that because it would take me too much time. I believe in getting a good starting point and customizing until it fits your way of working.

What I also like about the Elinchrom is the ability to tilt the surface of my working area (or to put it at different heights) or to be able to fit a diffuser plate below the working space that can also be tilted easily.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:08:45 am by Dustbak »

amsp

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 05:42:17 pm »

The elinchrome and the manfrotto are pretty much the two I've been looking at in the past, and they both seem to have their advantages. If anyone has experience with both please chime in.

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 06:42:40 pm »

Don't waste your money any any of those tables!   A set of sawhorses and a piece of plywood a much better choice. 

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 06:56:02 pm »

Yea. I was going to say the same thing. It's much cheaper too.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 07:18:17 pm »

Don't waste your money any any of those tables!   A set of sawhorses and a piece of plywood a much better choice. 

+1

MelHill

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 09:09:12 pm »

Oh yea... never worked with anything purpose built for just one task.

Greg, did you assist in Chicago and if so for who?

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 10:37:21 pm »

maybe should have sent that as a personal message. that's an odd question

TMARK

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 10:40:26 am »

The Elinchrom tables seem best.  I've used the older Elinchrom and the Delta tables when I assisted a still life guy, and the Delta was a nighmare.  For my own stuff, I've always gone to American Plastics on Canal and bought plexi or perspex and used sawhorses.  I also use seamless tacked to a wall, sweeping over a large table if I don't need to light from below. 

I think if a client is going to see you working, especially if they are paying for it, get the Elinchrom.   

amsp

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 02:27:42 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys. Like I said, I'm not paying for it, my employer is putting together a full studio and the table is like 1/35th of the total cost, so I won't be fiddling around with any home-made contraption. I will have a final talk with the retailer about the elinchrome vs. manfrotto before ordering, but I'm leaning towards the elinchrome.

cheers

MelHill

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 06:25:01 pm »

maybe should have sent that as a personal message. that's an odd question

Not to me Jonathan but thanks for your input. Hope you have a super day....

FWIW, I've walked into Chicago studios and just by looking at how a set is built I can tell you something about where that photographer was an assistant.
Maybe it's just me but I'm always interested in how thing progress and or stay the same because they work....

amsp

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 04:41:22 am »

Foba tables are simply the best. Really. Easy to set up, very strong, light, movable. The acrylic sheet is laser etched to make it less reflective. They can carry up to 60 kilos (I tested this myself). The tables will interact with the magnificent Foba Combitube system. I am using the Foba DIMIL table. Although in general I am a Manfrotto fan I do not like their table for lack of sophistication in many areas. The lack of a curved front ruled out the Elichroms for me too.

Ah, you're right about the elinchrome not having a curved front. It's easy to miss the obvious sometimes, thanks for the heads up!

Pages: [1]   Go Up