Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland #2 - Dettifoss  (Read 1595 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Iceland #2 - Dettifoss
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:37:48 am »

Another from my recent Iceland Expedition - this time Europe's largest and most majestic waterfall "Dettifoss" - photographed just before sunrise.
Full story on my Blog at http://blog.jholko.com

Wild Nature Photo Travel

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Re: Iceland #2 - Dettifoss
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:10:49 am »

Impressive waterfall.  Looks like the water is just pouring into a crevice in the Earth.  Very nice. 

Now this could be an artifact introduced by the downsizing of the image for web-posting, but on my monitor I see the faintest hint of blown out highlights in the centre of the mist at the lower right (roughly at the spot where rule of thirds lines would converge).
[size=12p

francois

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:23:21 am »

Wow! I also like the movement of the water and it contrasts with the very quiet aspect of the sky
Francois

John R

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:00:07 am »

I can see why some of the members don't like large areas of almost white mass. As much as I like the overall the scene, the tremendous beauty and power of the waterfall, I do think the large white mass area is not that visually appealing. Having said that, and having tried such images myself, there is nothing one can do to avoid this. Except maybe altering and minimizing the white areas, which I am not suggesting. The water is a torrent and even the fastest shutter speed will likely not alter the look much. I have many such images of water falls with large areas of white mass. I think we have to learn to accept that not everything in nature can be photographically converted to what we desire. It is still a great image.

JMR
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:55:34 am by John R »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:27:36 am »

I can see why some of the members don't like large areas of almost white mass. As much as I like the overall the scene, the tremendous beauty and power of the waterfall, I do think the large white mass area is not that visually appealing. Having said that, and having tried such images myself, there is nothing one can do to avoid this. Except maybe altering and minimizing the white areas, which I am not suggesting. The water is a torrent and even the fatest shutter speed will likely not alter the look much. I have many such images of water falls with large areas of white mass. I think we have to learn to accept that not everything in nature can be photographically converted to what we desire. It is still a great image.

JMR
I remember well trying to photograph Gullfoss and Dettifoss in Iceland in 1974. They are both incredibly awe-inspiring waterfalls, but there was no way I could capture on film the sensation of being there. I would be very pleased if I had a shot as good as Josh's, but I would also regret the big blank area. It's a tough choice.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:59:02 pm »

Impressive waterfall.  Looks like the water is just pouring into a crevice in the Earth.  Very nice. 

Thank you.

Now this could be an artifact introduced by the downsizing of the image for web-posting, but on my monitor I see the faintest hint of blown out highlights in the centre of the mist at the lower right (roughly at the spot where rule of thirds lines would converge).

I dont see any clipping on my calibrated monitor. Could be a jpeg artefact.

I can see why some of the members don't like large areas of almost white mass. As much as I like the overall the scene, the tremendous beauty and power of the waterfall, I do think the large white mass area is not that visually appealing. Having said that, and having tried such images myself, there is nothing one can do to avoid this. Except maybe altering and minimizing the white areas, which I am not suggesting. The water is a torrent and even the fastest shutter speed will likely not alter the look much. I have many such images of water falls with large areas of white mass. I think we have to learn to accept that not everything in nature can be photographically converted to what we desire. It is still a great image.

Thank you. Yes, regardless of shutter speed there is just so much water thrown up as spray at Dettifoss that it will always be a large white area. Having said that - there is still plenty of detail in there in the print and in the Tiff - but inevitably it gets lost in a small jpeg.

Wow! I also like the movement of the water and it contrasts with the very quiet aspect of the sky

Thank you.  ;D

I remember well trying to photograph Gullfoss and Dettifoss in Iceland in 1974. They are both incredibly awe-inspiring waterfalls, but there was no way I could capture on film the sensation of being there. I would be very pleased if I had a shot as good as Josh's, but I would also regret the big blank area. It's a tough choice.

Thanks Eric  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:51:27 am »

I prefer this one to the rainbow photo you posted previously. One thing still bugs me though - the lack of shadow. There really should be some greater darkness in places here. I worry sometimes that HDR has left us afraid of deep, dark shadows, with a sense of wanting to bring out every last bit of detail.

sbunting108

• Simon Bunting Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:23:41 pm »

Wow this is stunning very psychedelic :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up