Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromajet Centurion Metallic Pearl  (Read 9329 times)

EvoM

Chromajet Centurion Metallic Pearl
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:46:41 am »

Hi, just wondered if anyone had any personal experience of Chromajet Centurion Metallic Pearl?
Not sure if it's the "Australian" version of Lexjet or Red River et all.

Also, if there are any ozzies reading, have you had any luck importing rolls of paper?

I hope to print on a HP Z3100 44.

Evo
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:49:08 am by EvoM »

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Chromajet Centurion Metallic Pearl
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:38:51 am »

I'd be willing to bet $5 it's the same as all the other metallic paper out there and it's really made by Mitsubishi.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

EvoM

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:55:04 am »

Hi Neile, yep you are right! Found out this paper is really Mitsubishi Grace Pearlescent Metallic so I can now look at reviews.

Have you tried this or the bright white version?

Evo

EvoM

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:59:29 am »

Also, has anyone tried the Reflections Metallic paper?

http://www.dtgweb.com/shop/product.php?productid=34568&cat=0&page=1

Evo

neile

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 10:47:15 am »

Haven't tried that specific paper (or the Reflections Metallic), but it's highly likely it's all the same stuff just rebranded. You can read my reviews at http://www.danecreekfolios.com/blog/2010/7/9/metallic-inkjet-paper-review-part-2-proofline-photo-chrome-a.html.

Careful though: the Grace Pearlescent Metallic that I had was distinctly different from all the other metallic papers out there. Unless you have what looks like glitter in the paper base then you likely have Mitsubishi's Pictorico metallic paper rebranded rather than Grace Pearlescent.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 11:46:22 am »

Yesterday I received the Chrome Pearlescent Metallic Inkjet Paper (17x22) that I had ordered from ITSupplies.
Have already done a couple of prints via the Epson 3880.
Did a couple of color prints with one being done HDR along with one done in B&W.
Since I did not have a profile for the Chrome Pearlescent Metallic Inkjet Paper I gave the Red River one a try.
Set the printer to Premium Photo Paper Glossy and resolution to 2880. Used the rear paper feed. I must state I was impressed with the output.

EvoM

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 02:36:49 am »

thanks Neile & Stuart, I haven't any of these papers and just going by what users have said.

One review says the Mitsubishi Grace Pearlescent Metallic has a lot of "glitter" which I must say doesn't sound good! A local reseller of this paper says it's great but.....???
I want a metallic paper that is similar to Endura Gloss Metallic (chem, RA4 paper) if possible.

Compounding my problem is that there only seems to be Mitsubishi Grace Pearlescent Metallic available here in Australia so I can't compare.

Shades of Paper, IT supplies both say I can get rolls but the freight is ridiculous.

Evo

neile

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:37 am »

That was my review you read, Evo :) Someone else on the forums here (you can likely find it if you search) also mentioned it.

If you can get the Grace in Australia I'd order a small pack and see if the glitter is there. It is possible that what we saw is just a specific variation in a batch of the paper.

All the other papers (Shades of Paper, IT Supplies, LexJet, and Red River) are the same, but as you say shipping to Australia is likely cost-prohibitive.

Neil
Neil Enns

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:19:40 am »

Neile,

Your experiences with the new inkjet metallic papers is very similar to my own and I think your reviews are pretty much spot-on.  The Mitsubishi Grace Metallic that I have also exhibits that "glitter" which is not as apparent on some subject matter as others, but it is something that is not in the base of other metallic inkjet media such as that offered by Red River or Lexjet.  I do not find that any of the inket metallic offerings to have as much punch as Kodak's Endura Metallic, though they share some metallic qualities and are quite nice.  The softer inkjet metallic is better for portraits, in that it is much easier to control highlights.

ken

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 02:05:59 pm »

Is Kodak missing the boat here or is not possible to manufacture an  Endura Metallic paper for inkjets.
I am sure if it could be done they would find a way.  Boy would it sell!

coreyrankin

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:03:29 pm »

I have just started using this paper, called chromojet centurian pearl here in australia. There's no real glitter inthe paper, just a metallic look similar to some types of ilforchrome. I am very impressed with this paper. I tested the pearl and the bright white versions. Both are good, but I chose pearl because it has a more pronounced metallic look, the bright white looks too similar to a standard gloss print.

The black ink doesnt absorb totally into the surface when the blacks are heavy, but it does go into the paper a bit, and certainly doesnt leave a matt look to it. Colours are absorbed well and the paper retains its gloss metal look. If the colours are too saturated though, there will be a lessening of the gloss, but this is only in small parts of the overall prints I make, and only detected at certain angles. I use Epson ultrachrome inks on a sp2100 (2200 in USA). Give this stuff a try, its something different, and gives nice looking prints.

ps I got a few samples of the bright white and pearl from DES here ins australia to test at no charge. Give them a call.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:39:08 pm by coreyrankin »
Pages: [1]   Go Up