Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I did it ! My own photo website and blog.  (Read 3662 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
I did it ! My own photo website and blog.
« on: August 31, 2010, 12:12:03 pm »

I finally set up my own blog and website at
http://www.feldhaim.com

Today, as a starter, I published a little pictorial feature about the island Rügen in the Baltic Sea and Stralsund on it.

All in all it was much more work than I expected, but the site it is in a shape now, that I dare to tell here about its existence. I'd be happy to hear some feedback or constructive criticism about the site design / navigation / bugs and such, but also on the pictorial feature, which is a form I just discovered for myself and the photographs of course. Comments can also be dropped at the site itself, but appear only after moderation.

Thank you very much for checking and I'm curious about your c&c.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: I did it ! My own photo website and blog.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 02:03:01 pm »

Christof, Zone Alarm reports your site as "suspicious."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:12:54 pm »

The reason for the Zone Alarm warning is, the domain is very new, it was registered on August, 17.
For details and the log of the chat with ZA see my blog entry: http://www.feldhaim.com/post/300#more-300
Tom R.: The program does give a warning for sites that are less than 90 days old. It does not block anything. It is only ZoneAlarm users who see it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:07:24 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

Vuurtoren

• Creative Landscape and Environmental Portraiture
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:54:02 pm »

Hi Christoph, I looked at your blog via apple mac, no problems and it all thumbs through nicely faster than my car on a country road in Ireland.  Congratulations anyway.  Out of curisosity what software did use?

Regards
Chris
What we see and what we are looking at are often two very different things.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:59:57 pm »

Wordpress with the Plugins NextGen Gallery , LightboxPlus, Dynamic Subpages,  and some custom adaptions in css and php.
Especially the appearance of the galleries required some adaption to suit my needs and taste and I messed with the Lightbox css.
The theme is a standard WP theme: "Twentyten".
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:02:20 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

Vuurtoren

• Creative Landscape and Environmental Portraiture
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:50:36 pm »

Thanks. Just curious. 
What we see and what we are looking at are often two very different things.

popnfresh

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:28:33 pm »

Christoph: I just received message from someone my website is declared by ZA to be "suspicious". Since i know I have no ill motives, I'd like to know how I can find out what seems to be suspicious.
Tom R.: I am sorry for any inconvenience.
Tom R.: Is your website less than three months old?
Christoph: Yes.
Christoph: The domain is very new
Christoph: For a website launch its not really good te be declared as "suspicious" ....
Tom R.: The program does give a warning for sites that are less than 90 days old. It does not block anything. It is only ZoneAlarm users who see it.
For Zone Alarm to flag a domain as "suspicious" simply because it's less than 90 days old is completely arbitrary and totally ridiculous. I've dealt with this piece of crap before. Your tale is a testament to the irresponsibility of the Zone Alarm company for selling a product that raises a red flag for no rational purpose other than to appear to be providing you security because it routinely pops up bogus warning messages. I'm an IT administrator and I would never consider using Zone Alarm in my company, nor would I recommend it to my friends.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:11:29 am »

Now, that the ZA Virus has successfully infected this thread, please lets stay closer on topic and not allow it to spread any further.

I really want to make this new Photo Blog as fun and interesting as possible within my limited capabilities and your feedback is something, that could really help me getting better and making this an address it the web which worth visiting. I also will post from time to time in this forum, when I have something new, be it a photo, a feature or something that might prove interesting.

Thank you very much
 ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:27:50 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

popnfresh

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:33 am »

The way you have your site organized makes it impossible to discuss the photographs you have posted because they get randomly shuffled with each visit. I was going to discuss one shot that I liked, but when I went back to take another look at it I couldn't find it there.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 01:54:58 am »

Yes, thats an issue.
But all photographs are ordered and commentable within their galleries under the Main "Feldhaim Photography" or the new stuff under "Recent Additions" link and can be discussed there. I am not very happy with the sort of disconnected display of the images in the sidebar widget. Do you see this as too irritating? I am pondering of temporarily removing this random image thing because of that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:59:41 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

popnfresh

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 11:20:29 am »

I don't really see the point of having the random images section, frankly.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 03:24:21 pm »

Actually the meaning is just to do a little promotion of work the visitor is not seeing.

I worked a couple of hours today to fix that sidebar thing.

Clicking on the image now opens lightbox and allows to go through the series of random images.
Clicking the link at the top of the image ("From: [Galleryname]") opens the Gallery where the image belongs to and where it can be commented.

I hope thats better now. I wasn't happy with the previous solution myself and think this was a good point.

I'd be happy to hear any more comments, likes or dislikes.

sbunting108

• Simon Bunting Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 04:15:41 pm »

Nice I like I also recently set up my photography portfolio and blog only a couple of weeks ago although I somewhat 'cheated' by getting a theme made for a photography website. I can't believe you set yours all up from the standard wordpress template for 2010 :) Well Done

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:37:53 am »

Thanks for the nice words!

How does the pictorial feature appear to you? (http://www.feldhaim.com/post/336)
I have a bit mixed feelings about that form of presentation, though it was fun writing.
On the one hand I believe a bit of context knowledge is good to have but,
of course, the photographs should be the focus.

I also  want to replace the main menu with a javascript dropdown thing for better navigation
and I'm pondering to separate the image presentation more from the blog.

Impressions? Suggestions?

Thanks
~Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up