Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson Baryta vs Platine?  (Read 8120 times)

narikin

Canson Baryta vs Platine?
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:40:33 pm »

anyone got experience of Canson Baryta Photographique 310gsm, vs Canson Platine Fibre Rag?

I believe both are good papers, and obviously one is a slightly cooler/whiter Baryta type, with some OBA's, the other is Cotton Rag and free(ish) of OBA's, though a little warmer. Is there any difference in handling/ surface scratch resistance etc? Price seems nearly identical.

As many experts suggest, I do not wish to overlook a very well made Alpha Cellulose paper automatically in favor of cotton rag.
This is for museum work, and be used in large rolls, though sadly neither comes in 60" roll width.

Sven W

Re: Canson Baryta vs Platine?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:47:45 pm »

After printing now for a couple of years with virtual all baryta/TiO papers, I found my favourite: Canson Baryta.
The Platine is also very nice, but I don't like the semigloss surface, compared to the Baryta.
Both prints beautiful, with extraordinary blacks. I measured as low as L 2.8, printed with HDR inks on an Ep9900.
The scratch resistance is a about the same as for other papers in this class. But I've noticed that it's easier to work with rolls
than usual with these papers. But I always let the print slide on two long shelves, not touching anything and not letting it roll up.
(One can wonder why the printermanufacturers never test the gears IRL)  ???
And always allow the print to "settle" for at least 12 h.

I just shipped printsamples (of the above mentioned) today to Aardenburg Imaging Archive, to participate in Mark McCormick-Goodhart's ongoing fading-tests.

/Sven
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:46:08 pm by Sven W »
Stockholm, Sweden

narikin

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:56:36 pm »

After printing now for a couple of years with virtual all baryta/TiO papers, I found my favourite: Canson Baryta.
The Platine is also very nice, but I don't like the semigloss surface, compared to the Baryta.
Both prints beautiful, with extraordinary blacks. I measured as low as L 2.8, printed with HDR inks on an Ep9900.
The scratch resistance is a about the same as for other papers in this class. But I've noticed that it's easier to work with rolls
than usual with these papers.

I just shipped printsamples (of the above mentioned) today to Aardenburg Imaging Archive, to participate in Mark McCormick-Goodhart's ongoing fading-tests.

Thanks Sven - good to hear positive impressions that confirm my own inclinations, though I am sure there are many people who prefer Platine, for their own excellent reasons.

I am an Aardenberg subscriber, and was sad not to find a test report of Cansons Baryta or Platine on there. Or for that matter of Epson's own Premium Semi Matte/ Premium Luster, both Alpha Cellulose papers that Wilhelm rates so highly.  Maybe that could be my contribution.

am I right in thinking that one advantage of AC papers is that they can safely be cut with the printers own cutter without too much fear, as they do not deposit excessive rag/cotton into the machine?

nilo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:18:16 pm »

I am going forth and back between CIFA Baryta Photographique and Platine (and HM PR Baryta, which I choose whenever the much higher price is not a problem). CIFA Baryta seems smoother than HM PR Baryta and Platine rougher.

Defintly a matter of taste  :D

hmm, I dont understand that!? You mean that you prefer the high gloss of the Baryta to the semi-gloss of the Platine, yes? Because to me Baryta looks quite glossier than Platine to my eyes.

than usual with these papers.

This is maybe due to the softness of the paper. I find Platin, and the more so HM PR Baryta beeing even softer, very easy and quick to decurl.

But I always let the print slide on two long shelves, not touching anything and not letting it roll up.

Could you tell me more about this practice. I don't understand how you prevent the paper from curling whilst not touching it?

(One can wonder why the printermanufacturers never test the gears IRL)  ???
And always allow the print to "settle" for at least 12 h.

/Sven

regards
nino
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:20:40 pm by Nino Loss »

nilo

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:19:44 pm »

I am an Aardenberg subscriber, and was sad not to find a test report of Cansons Baryta or Platine on there.

so you might be happy again once you read this post by Mark H. McCormick-Goodhart  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45494.msg382088#msg382088

regards
nino
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:31:02 pm by Nino Loss »

Sven W

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:13:47 am »

am I right in thinking that one advantage of AC papers is that they can safely be cut with the printers own cutter without too much fear, as they do not deposit excessive rag/cotton into the machine?

Which printer do you have?
On the Epson 79/9900, the cutter have an own engine, located far under the printhead, to prevent dust coming inside.
It´s also a rotary-cutter, selfsharpening and cuts even canvas easily.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Sven W

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 04:51:40 am »

Could you tell me more about this practice. I don't understand how you prevent the paper from curling whilst not touching it?

regards
nino
If you send me a message offline, I can email some images.
/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

narikin

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:36:15 am »

On the Epson 79/9900, the cutter have an own engine, located far under the printhead, to prevent dust coming inside.
It´s also a rotary-cutter, selfsharpening and cuts even canvas easily.
/Sven

which is another reason why they need to update the 11880 to an 11900 - its crazy that buying Epson's biggest and most expensive printer gets you the old generation technology: K3vM vs HDR inks, no extra 'spot' colors, a smaller gamut, and a cutter in the old position.

Epson - please update your 60" machine!

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 07:57:32 pm »

No contest here.  I definitely prefer Platine.  Prints appear to be sharper and to have more depth.  I happen to like its less shiny, more textured surface, which is much less prone to scratching.  If I just look cross-eyed at Baryta Photographique, a scratch appears.  Platine's cotton fiber base lies flatter in the printer, which also reduces the likelihood of scratching, especially on large prints.  Why don't you test some samples of both papers for your own edification?

Rob
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:59:53 pm by robgo2 »

nilo

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:43:03 pm »

No contest here.  I definitely prefer Platine.  Prints appear to be sharper and to have more depth.  I happen to like its less shiny, more textured surface, which is much less prone to scratching.  If I just look cross-eyed at Baryta Photographique, a scratch appears.  Platine's cotton fiber base lies flatter in the printer, which also reduces the likelihood of scratching, especially on large prints.  Why don't you test some samples of both papers for your own edification?

Rob

As we discuss taste, I wanted to say that I agree with you except that I find CIFA Baryta more elegant. Also about the depth I am not so sure, Baryta maybe has the better dmax...

You see it's one of the days, I ask myself if I do not prefer Baryta Photographique, like Sven.

I think not only do you have to see it yourself, because it's like tasting wine, but also every wine has it's dish to go with  ;)

regards

nino

narikin

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 08:20:49 am »

No contest here.  I definitely prefer Platine.  Prints appear to be sharper and to have more depth.  I happen to like its less shiny, more textured surface, which is much less prone to scratching.  If I just look cross-eyed at Baryta Photographique, a scratch appears.  Platine's cotton fiber base lies flatter in the printer, which also reduces the likelihood of scratching, especially on large prints.  
Rob

It sure is personal.  I am not into textured surfaces, and that light stipple is the weak link of Platine. Its almost acceptable, but just that tiny bit too present in angled light for my taste.  I do appreciate YMMV. 

Otherwise they are both great papers, and time will tell how much of an issue the OBA's are in the ongoing fading tests. If that proves a meaningful difference, Platine will move ahead, stipple or no.

Pages: [1]   Go Up