Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland #1 - Gullfoss  (Read 3017 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Iceland #1 - Gullfoss
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:31:58 am »

Here is the first of the images I have finished processing from my recent trip to Iceland. Taken at Gullfoss at Dawn.
Full story of this photograph on my Blog http://blog.jholko.com
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

Re: Iceland #1 - Gullfoss
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:46:22 am »

Exquisite light! This is a beautiful photo, congrats.
Francois

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:50:33 am »

Leaving aside the blurring, there's some pretty gruesome chromatic aberration in the centre of the photo. What?  ???

ternst

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 07:25:39 am »

Hey Josh, great stuff. I spent the next ten days in Daniel's van on more rough roads (that rock "chip" in the windshield kept getting in the way), although it sounded like your trip was even rougher than ours, even though we camped out nearly every night and did not have quite as many long drives. No one does Iceland better than Daniel Bergmann - I just hope he survives long enough for another year or two of this - these are really brutal on him, especially one after another after another like he does them. Thanks for your write-up - helps me put some names to the locations....

tokengirl

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:44:32 am »

Really looking forward to seeing more lovely photos from your trip!

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 11:37:46 am »

Amazing!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »

Here is the first of the images I have finished processing from my recent trip to Iceland. Taken at Gullfoss at Dawn.
Full story of this photograph on my Blog http://blog.jholko.com

I can't bring myself to like this one. The light on the right is beautiful, the "chromatic aberration" (nod to chairman) in the middle adds focus and the water on the left gives the impression of movement; but the huge area of featureless white water in the middle spoils it for me. Is it just a feature of the jpeg rendering, Josh? Is there something to be brought out, or was the shutter speed too long to keep any detail?

Sorry to sound a discordant note.

Jeremy

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 05:48:53 pm »

Leaving aside the blurring, there's some pretty gruesome chromatic aberration in the centre of the photo. What?  ???
¿Is that not a rainbow?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Josh-H

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:10:40 pm »

It most certainly is rainbow :-) I think Chairman Bill was being flippant as he had nothing else to say :-/
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 06:14:58 pm »

Exquisite light! This is a beautiful photo, congrats.
Thanks Francois ;D

The light on the right is beautiful, the "chromatic aberration" (nod to chairman) in the middle adds focus and the water on the left gives the impression of movement; but the huge area of featureless white water in the middle spoils it for me. Is it just a feature of the jpeg rendering, Josh? Is there something to be brought out, or was the shutter speed too long to keep any detail?

Thanks for the feedback Jeremy. The Chromatic Aberration is most definitely a rainbow [Chairman was I think being flippant - or, must have been on the whacky weed]. The detail in the water is lost in the jpeg compression unfortunately. But its definitely there in the Tiff and print. Shutter speed was only .5 of a second. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:39:00 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:36:00 pm »

Really looking forward to seeing more lovely photos from your trip!

Thank you! More coming very soon ;D

Amazing!

Thank you!
Wild Nature Photo Travel

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:00 pm »

Not having been there I can't answer this, but is the water from the left really moving uphill as it appears to be?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 03:55:08 am »

Thanks for the feedback Jeremy. The Chromatic Aberration is most definitely a rainbow [Chairman was I think being flippant - or, must have been on the whacky weed]. The detail in the water is lost in the jpeg compression unfortunately. But its definitely there in the Tiff and print. Shutter speed was only .5 of a second. Thanks again.
I'm quite sure Bill was joking! I'll use my imagination to see detail in the water, in which case it's a jolly good shot.

Jeremy

John R

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 09:48:48 am »

A lovely image. I recognize the glow of the rainbow light right away- said to be the purest light. As to the details or lack thereof in the water, this is inevitable when shooting moving water, particularly fast water. I tried recently to do just that by upping the ISO to as high as 1600, but the result still came out white and without detail and looked worse than accepting the silky look of moving water. One has to simply accept this is the nature of fast moving water and that it will not be "sharp" when photographed, or that white areas can be easily tamed or translated into something more visually pleasing. It looks great to me.

JMR

DarkPenguin

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:02 am »

As presented I don't care for it.  Featureless center to the image  and all.  If the detail is there but isn't in this jpeg you need to post another jpeg.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 12:31:56 pm »

Flippant? Moi? Well, OK, just a bit. But for me, some areas should be in deeper shadow, the moving water could maybe do with a tweak of the definition, and the rainbow is just a fine bit of colour in a very featureless, white centre. I'm not sure where my eye should be drawn - the sunlit area to the top right, the moving water & the rainbow seem the main features, but they are somehow lost. Difficult light, and maybe just impossible to capture it as it was at the time, but it just doesn't do it for me. But hey, that's aesthetics; nobody says everyone has to like everything all the time.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 03:50:59 pm »

Wish I was there - but did get close, I guess.   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up