Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alberta  (Read 3593 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Alberta
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:01:56 pm »

A couple of panoramics from my recent visit to Alberta.

C & C welcome.

[size=12p

Dick Roadnight

Re: Alberta
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:16:52 am »

A couple of panoramics from my recent visit to Alberta.

C & C welcome.
Nice... would be nice to see them in full res.

They are both a bit blue, especially the second, which, on my monitor, looks a bit dark.

I think the second would benefit from being cropped on all four sides.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:19:40 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

stamper

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:20:05 am »

I have just calibrated my monitor with Spyder Express and I can't see any blue casts? ??? Though I am a fan of cropping it isn't needed in this instance. A matter of opinion?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:22:04 am by stamper »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 03:03:51 am »

I have just calibrated my monitor with Spyder Express and I can't see any blue casts?
I like warm colours... it is normal for distant mountains to have a blue tinge ¿aerial perspective? and if you set the WB on a distant snow-covered mountain it might look too warm.

Though I am a fan of cropping it isn't needed in this instance. A matter of opinion?
It is a matter of opinion, but I like to get the composition right in camera.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:07:44 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:47:51 am »

Is the second one Mordor?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:27:18 am »

Love the second one.  I do wonder if it will muddy up when printed, tho.

tokengirl

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:19:30 am »

I really like the 2nd one too.  I wonder of it could have benefitted from a ND Grad filter to lighten up the foreground?

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 11:30:57 am »

I think the first should be longer on the right side, my view instantly goes towards the right edge, trying to see more.

Very nice photographs, both of them.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:50 pm »

I think the first is a very nice 'my family was here' image.  Really like the second one, although it would be nice if there was more on the right.  The clouds seem to point to the right of the frame and one is left wondering what's beyond the frame.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

stamper

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 03:35:13 am »

I like warm colours... it is normal for distant mountains to have a blue tinge ¿aerial perspective? and if you set the WB on a distant snow-covered mountain it might look too warm.
It is a matter of opinion, but I like to get the composition right in camera.

The way the poster took the image means that there is a wider view available to you and there is a cropped view which you prefer. If he had taken it as you preferred there wouldn't have been a choice. As to getting it RIGHT that is a matter of opinion? At least with the original there is a flexible choice of composition? The image within the image?

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:34:39 pm »

Second one gets my vote :)

John R

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:53:49 pm »

I really like the 2nd one too.  I wonder of it could have benefitted from a ND Grad filter to lighten up the foreground?
I agree with this assessment, the foregroud would benefit from a neutral grad. Too bad most of us don't have or use one. I used to use Cokin, but they give off a strong purplish cast. It is evident the exposure is perfect for the light on the clouds and darkens the foreground somewhat.

I also like first and think it is well above a family shot. It would easily qualify for an Ad hiking to great places.

JMR

PS: answered message on Elements 7 question.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 11:09:12 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

On first photograph (Elbow Falls) I had my kids sit out on the rock to add a bit of human interest to the shot (I have a version without the kids as well but ...).  And yes I see the point about more to the right.  Photo was a 5 stitch shot using a Tilt-Shift Lens (shift only) and I liked the rock formation and wanted to get more of that in (being a geological engineer by training I have some interest for rock formations).  Next time out there (my folks live maybe 45 minutes away and I do get out that way every now and then) I will try to repeat with more to the right. 

Second photo was just one of those awesome situations with light, clouds and a usable back-drop (i.e., the following week back in Toronto I saw one the best sunsets I can ever recall but at the end of a test drive and seen from an auto dealer's lot, so total crap back-drop).  There was actually a spot maybe 2-3 km further west up the road where it "appeared" (while traveling 90 km/h) to be a similar scene, but with the Highwood River making an S-curve with that same purplish pink light reflecting in the river.  It looked awesome in the 1/2 second or so I had to evaluate it but there was no really good spot to pull over plus I was traveling with others who don't understand photographic patience if you know what I mean so I didn't pull over.  But I did at this spot, and took about 300 shots (HDR - +2. 0, -2 EV) panned, etc., just grabbing the light and hoping for the best once I got back to a PC.

Thing with sunsets, as you all know, light changes rapidly and this was a 2 row by 8 or 9 shot stitch.  So, while I actually have ND grads I was for one thing racing against time, and more importantly, cognizant that I was going to do a two row stitch and doing 2+ row panos with an ND Grad filter in my past attempts was not all too successful and just adds more fumbling around time to the whole process.  It was more important to me to get the shot so I purposely did not use the grad (placing my trust in the gods of HDR) and set my ISO to 400 (over my preferred ISO 100) to have my shutter speeds set to 1/15, 1/4 and 1 sec (1 sec not used in this HDR) rather than 1/4, 1  and 4 secs as would have been needed at ISO 100 (because 5 seconds time per sequence over 16-18 captures = 80-90 seconds per sequence, not exactly what I wanted with rapidly changing light and moving clouds).

I have posted below a version of pretty much the total available capture (no cropping other than what is necessary to remove blanks areas you get when stitching).  I also brightened foreground (used gradient mask to do this) as someone(s) noted and 17x22 print with this brightening is indeed superior to version without it. 

Finally with regard to the question "Is the second one Mordor?"  Those peaks on the horizon define the border between the Provinces of Alberta (foreground) and British Columbia (everything behind those mountains).  Being a resident of the Toronto area, I will refrain from making any comment regarding Mordor = BC, for fear of sparking any sort of national unity crisis ( ;D - Canadians will understand).

[size=12p
Pages: [1]   Go Up