Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture "update failed"  (Read 6386 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Aperture "update failed"
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:28:40 am »

The recent Java & security update (2010-005) has been an unmitigated disaster, but it gets worse. Having made the update, Aperture gave all sorts of problems. I repaired permissions, but that indicated loads of 'Open Error 5' messages. Verifying the disk indicated that I needed to repair the disk, so I tried that. It reported that disk was liable to fail & to repair from the OSX (Snow Leopard) install disc. Tried that, & it couldn't make the repairs. So I've had to erase the disk & reload the OS, gradually going through the process of updates & reintroducing applications from Time Machine. All is well. I even managed to install the Java & security update that seemed to cause the problem in the first place. But then comes Aperture. I've tried reloading from Time Machine, even loading Aperture fresh from the original disks (1.5 & 3 upgrade). Each time, it will not launch, giving me a "Warning: update failed" message.

Having got the OS working fine, I'm reluctant to simply do a complete Time Machine restore of the whole hard drive (with no guarantee that it'll work any better anyway), but how on earth do I get Aperture back?

Any constructive advice would be very welcome.

Kevin Gallagher

Re: Aperture "update failed"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:10:52 pm »

Hi Bill, I'm not sure exactly what you hardware setup is but I'm running an i7 imac here with no problems in aperture after the upgrade. Does the software install log show anything unusual?
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:55 pm »

Bill,
I would look into the system & errors logs to see if any details about the failed installation.
Francois

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »

There doesn't actually seem to have been any failed installation. The Java/Security update seems to have done something - not quite sure what though. Having erased the computer & completed a clean install, sans Aperture, all seemed well though. I suspect something twixt Aperture & the Java update - I'd had quite a few instances of Aperture hanging, and repair permissions threw up a lot of Java permissions errors.

I've now gone the Time Machine restore route & fingers crossed - Disk Utility's permissions repair is on the go right now, and Java is still a problem, but being pre-update, at least the computer, and Aperture, is working OK. Might have to wait for the next update, or use this as an excuse to upgrade the from the current 2.16 Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM machine, to a newer spec Mac with more RAM. Those 27" iMacs do look nice ...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:41:12 am »

Might have to wait for the next update, or use this as an excuse to upgrade the from the current 2.16 Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM machine, to a newer spec Mac with more RAM. Those 27" iMacs do look nice ...
Good luck with solving your problem, Bill. You certainly need more RAM: 2Gb really isn't enough and I strongly suspect you will notice a very significant increase in speed and responsiveness if you add some. It's likely to be a lot cheaper than a new iMac, as well.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up