Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Leopard Blues  (Read 3262 times)

Pacific Photos

• dont quit your day job marty
Snow Leopard Blues
« on: August 28, 2010, 10:23:09 pm »

Snow Leopard is my 1st experience with a mac program (version 10.6.4) or a mac machine (mac mini) . I am running Cs4 and the sad "Blues" I have been singing  to anyone who will listen to my lament, is about Snow Leopard "arrogance".  It seems that the Apple Folks and Hp folks, maybe the Adobe folks are not on the same "page" or even care if they are on the same page!  I am coming from a bullet proof printing set up using the HP B9180 (thank you Neil Snape) and a PC running the venerable Windows XP. That laptop went to "lappy heaven" and I bought the mac mini Jan,'10.
( btw, Neil did an awesome 'take" on the HP B9180 back about 5 years ago right here on LuLa.)
   The kewlest thing about the software that shipped with the printer 5 years ago was a nifty PhotoShop Plug in....that made the workflow right outa Photo Shop and into the Printer..... well, almost that quik!!   SnowLeopard does not like that plug in and does not offer up anything even basically similar.  This is where HP dropped the ball, I know....but it makes it almost impossible to use the HPB9180 with the mac and Snow Leopard and the "update" feature so easily used on the mac.....*does not support this printers more "esoteric" needs.*(it seems like Hp gave Apple some very, very minimalist drivers for that B9180...pure crap!

2.) I went back to a windows machine (Vista)  which accepted the printer software disc that shipped with the printer and now I print  with my favorite Photo Shop Plug in...sigh, sigh........(sad, "blues sax" into a rainy New York "past midnite lament".)

Have any of you Guyz had to go away from Snow Leopard 10.6.4 to get yer  printing "mojo's" back...to God Forbid, a Windows machine??   Still singing those "Snow Leopard Blues".
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.

trentf

Re: Snow Leopard Blues
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:43:35 am »

Maybe it is time for a new plug in....  I have an HP z3200 and have always been on Macs.  Call HP or look on line...  I am sure what you need is there. 

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:17:28 am »

Bring back OSX 10.4 I say, Ive never been happy with Leopard and saw no reason to move onto Snow Leopard, I miss the Tiger...

Pacific Photos

• dont quit your day job marty
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:44 pm »

Yeah Trent, tnx for the tip....yup, A new plug in for the venerable B9180 would be nice (in Snow Leopard). Problem is, nobody is embracing this good ole Gal anymore, cuz they stopped shipping 'em April, '10.  You are correct about looking online Trent, a lot of folks have developed trick little work arounds and some blogs devoted to keeping "Her" going.  She is a soft ware "Orphan" now in her waning years......except if you wanna do the PC...Windows Xp, Vista thing.

2.) Feels so weird being on this merry go round of mass consumption....always hoping that the "Big"  purchase will last at least ten years, that I wont let the "market forces" break thru my resolve...to be satisfied with what I got..... and choose and item that has a guaranteed parts supply chain (for at least 10 years).  How do you go about pre thinking large photographic equipment purchases Trent?   How cum us American/Canadians always think we have to be on the "Bleeding Edge" of technology anyway???
3.) Help!
I must prove that this remarkable new product will quickly make money for my Sicilian Wife.

trentf

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:12:15 pm »

I would not be surprised if the there is a plug in for that machine.  I would not hesitate to contact HP. 

Lightsmith

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:22:46 pm »

I have a HP B9180 that has been a royal pain to use with XP as the HP install software fails to finish. Spent days dealing with tech support and gave up. Using Leopard on my Mac Pro I have had no trouble with getting great prints out of the printer, just need to pay attention to matching the paper type and let PS do the color management instead of the printer.

In theory the HP software should work great on a XP PC but that has not been my experience and without this application and just using InDesign or Photoshop the output is terrible.

HP is dropping the ball in not supporting Mac computers. Their new 30 inch monitor is interesting but HP will not provide Mac drivers so for me it is a choice between the new Dell and the NEC with SpectraView II.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 02:09:39 pm »

If it's any consolation things are no better with Epson/CS4/Snow Leopard!

Peter S

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 01:21:02 pm »

I had problems with CS5 and an Epson 3800 after upgrading to Snow Leopard.  This was solved after talking to the UK Epson people who led me to a newer driver than the one on the US site.  You could give this a try.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 06:52:27 pm »

Worst case, you could probably run XP/Win7 in a virtual machine on your mac? It is easy to share a folder between the 2 OS.

As far as long term investment go in the electronic world, you might as well forget about it. :) This isn't even a big conspiracy, it is just that companies are not allowed by the market to invest in long term product support. This would impact their margin and turn them into under performers, losers if you will.

There might come a time where MBA teachers get less greedy and teach their investment students that other metrics like stability or customer satisfaction are more important than short term revenue, but until that day you will need to change printer every 5 years. In the mean time you can blame the traders and business analysts when they overtake you on the highway in their brand new Ferraris. :D

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up