Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF 8300 paper handling  (Read 2988 times)

Hiroshi S.

Canon iPF 8300 paper handling
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:08:27 am »

I am still on the fence about buying a new printer and I have a question for all iPF 8300 users here. Can you print on smaller sheet papers (e.g. letter size or 13x19) while roll paper is loaded or do you have to remove the roll beforehand? The manual suggests to remove the roll to avoid jams but it would be handy if one could print smaller proofs without unloading the roll paper. Thanks.

Scott Shelerud

Re: Canon iPF 8300 paper handling
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:37:54 pm »

You would need to rewind the roll paper from the printer back onto the roll, but I see no reason why the roll could not remain in place.  Reloading the roll paper is a quick, painless process.
Scott Shelerud

Knife Island Images

www.KnifeIsland.com

poshcolor

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 09:05:28 am »

I succesfully printed with the roll paper rewinded as Scott pointed out but it's better to tape the end of the paper with the roll(it's spinning)
Silviu

jgbowerman

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 11:13:13 am »

I succesfully printed with the roll paper rewinded as Scott pointed out but it's better to tape the end of the paper with the roll(it's spinning)
Silviu

Ditto

I use a strip of scrap paper, taped around the roll and back to itself, so no tape directly contacts the rolled print paper.

jgbowerman

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 06:20:24 pm »

I am still on the fence about buying a new printer and I have a question for all iPF 8300 users here. Can you print on smaller sheet papers (e.g. letter size or 13x19) while roll paper is loaded or do you have to remove the roll beforehand? The manual suggests to remove the roll to avoid jams but it would be handy if one could print smaller proofs without unloading the roll paper. Thanks.

Hiroshi, if you are not in need of a 44" printer, the iPF6300 is otherwise identical to the 8300 with the exception it is the better of the two when it comes to feeding cut sheets, and like the 8300, the roll can remain while doing so. Ironically, the 8300 is the better bargain.

Gemmtech

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »

After giving this great thought, I have decided to go with the Canon 6300 instead of the Canon 8300 or Epson 7900 (after Photokina).  I have several reasons for my decision.  

#1.    I've used all of the big three and like Epson and Canon equally.
#2.    I believe that Epson probably is the better of the two in the large format division, but it's close enough to call it arguably a draw.
#3.    The Canon 6300 is less expensive upfront.
#4.    I don't print as much as the professionals and it does seem as Epson has clogging issues that Canon doesn't.
#5     Why pay upfront for ink which might take several years to use?
#6.    I have no need for a 44" printer, now or for the foreseeable future; I use a D700 which I believe wont print well above 24".
#7.    Why waste the extra space for a 44" printer when I wont use 44" paper?
#8.    I believe Epson will release the next latest and greatest and I'm thinking I will trade in the Canon 6300.
#9.    I do like sheet paper and it seems like the 6300 is better at handling sheets, though not as good as the Epsons?  
#10.  I believe the Canon will keep me warm at night.  :D

Scott Shelerud

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:00:19 pm »

Congratulations!  We all make the decisions we do based on what's right for US....RIGHT NOW.  There are some compelling reasons to go with the 8300 as opposed to the 6300, but there are also some very good reasons to not buy more than you really need. You have apparently made your decision fully aware of all of the facts.  Good luck with your new acquisition.
Scott Shelerud

Knife Island Images

www.KnifeIsland.com

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 11:01:01 pm »

I can understand where you're coming from, Gemmtech. I got the 6300 back when it came with a $700 rebate plus an extra set of inks, so I still got a pretty good deal even compared to the current 8300 pricing. But for me printing 44" wide is just overkill, and the larger printer would have been more difficult to make room for. The only thing my 6300 can't do that might have been nice is printing a 24" wide print with borders (say a 24x36" print on 28x40" sheet), but I can live without that (for now :) ).
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up