Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fireworks Panorama  (Read 3158 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Fireworks Panorama
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:13:54 pm »

Here a panorama with unusually demanding subject matter: strong unearthly colors from the pier and fireworks, reflections, night time. Extensive editing to get this to look at all real - it didn't look real in person, either :P

Taken at 31st International Fireworks Festival in Scheveningen, Netherlands. Canon 550D, 14mm Sigma @ f/8.

I'm really struggling with this panorama - work in progress and any tips much appreciated.

jeremypayne

Re: Fireworks Panorama
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »

I like it ...  but ... I would be tempted to use "content aware scaling" to bring the fireworks and pier a little closer together and lose some of that void between them

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:13:48 pm »

I like it ...  but ... I would be tempted to use "content aware scaling" to bring the fireworks and pier a little closer together and lose some of that void between them
My first thought exactly.  It looks like two excellent pictures, set beside each other.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:47:35 pm »

I agree with Jeremy and Mike. Except for bringing the two parts closer together, I wouldn't change a thing. The couple silhouetted against the red glow from the fireworks is a nice touch.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

AndyWR

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:12:59 am »

That 2 pictures alone would make a great photo..
I feel that beach line is not connected properly because of the diffrent angle.
And if you could I would like to see the fireworks image alone..

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:32:17 am »

Love the left side.

shutterpup

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:38:11 am »

Ditto Dark Penguin's remark. The right side is nice, but really is a separate focal point.

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 10:40:01 am »

And if you could I would like to see the fireworks image alone..
I would second that - the light and sillhouettes look stunningly beautiful.

I think that the difficulty with the image is that it is not clear what the main draw to the eye is - fireworks or the end of the pier?  I suspect that editing out the gap between the pier and the fireworks will not change this, but splitting it in to two images seems like quite a good idea.  [I usually have a terrible time trying to simplify my subjects when shooting, and frequently end up cutting parts out in PP... schitzophrenically, I seem to see something quite different when pressing the shutter button vs  editing in PP!]

feppe

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 12:23:36 pm »

Thanks for all the comments! I also feel that perhaps the fireworks would work better alone, but I took a whole series of shots at the show which have the fireworks as the main sole subject.

I'm generally ruthless about cropping out anything extraneous and fully agree with the sentiments about this containing two distinct shots. I wanted to do something different, but perhaps it doesn't work as well as I had hoped. The fireworks are a strong eyecatching subject, but I was hoping the outrageous pier would be enough to balance the composition. The pier crop could definitely stand on it's own as well.

I got very lucky with the couple standing there giving some scale, as well as putting in the human element in the shot.

Here a version with modest editing as suggested, which still retains the "honesty" of the scene. I used content-aware scaling (as aware as my manual copy-paste is :P) by bringing the pier and blooms closer together.

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 10:27:31 am »

I hang my head and apologize fulsomely for my dishonesty, but does this work better compositionally?  I did nothing to improve the transition, as you can well see.
(By the way, is this outrage on my part crossing a line?)

Just an impulse,
Dale
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:36:14 am by DaleVilleponteaux »
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 02:53:53 pm »

This one is a little too tight, IMHO. I would start with your previous version, but cut the black space between the two sides about in half, to bring them closer but not crammed quite so close as in the newest version. I think the two sections want a little breathing room, but only a little.

Honesty? Whazzat?

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

feppe

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:06 pm »

I hang my head and apologize fulsomely for my dishonesty, but does this work better compositionally?  I did nothing to improve the transition, as you can well see.
(By the way, is this outrage on my part crossing a line?)

I don't mind at all.

I'm not comfortable taking that much artistic freedom with the scene (or any other scene, for that matter). This edit turns it into more of a reconstruction or a collage, which are not my cup of tea. I'm not saying this would be akin to deleting offending political officials in historic photos, but I do think content-aware fill and seam carving are too easily abused.

Besides, everybody who was there knows that the fireworks were not on top of the pier from that vantage point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up