Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Wide Angle 35mm HC VS Hasselblad Wide Angle 50 mm HC  (Read 9987 times)

didot

Hi!

I'm a landscape photographer switching to Hasselblad (H3Dii- 31 camera).
I'm used to my 50 mm lens Nikkor on full frame Nikon D700. I actually have a 35 mm Nikkor but i always come back to the 50, finding it to large.

Unfortunately, i don't have the budget to buy those 2 Hasselblad lenses.
Is the 50 mm HC identical to a regular 50 mm (on a full frame)?

Which one wld you recommend?
Thank you

Dick Roadnight

Re: Hasselblad Wide Angle 35mm HC VS Hasselblad Wide Angle 50 mm HC
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:37:27 pm »

Hi!

I'm a landscape photographer switching to Hasselblad (H3Dii- 31 camera).
I'm used to my 50 mm lens Nikkor on full frame Nikon D700. I actually have a 35 mm Nikkor but i always come back to the 50, finding it to large.

Unfortunately, i don't have the budget to buy those 2 Hasselblad lenses.
Is the 50 mm HC identical to a regular 50 mm (on a full frame)?

Which one wld you recommend?
Thank you

50mm is the "standard" lens for 24 *36mm.

80mm for 60 * 60mm etc.

The focal length of a the standard lens for a format has always been the diagonal of the film/sensor... so, if you like the angle of view of 50mm on 24 * 36mm, choose a lens with a focal length equal to the diagonal of your sensor.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

didot

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:25:37 pm »

Thanks Dick!  ;) Unfortunately, it doesn't really translate in my mind correctly  :'( I'm still confused

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:58:37 am »

Thanks Dick!  ;) Unfortunately, it doesn't really translate in my mind correctly  :'( I'm still confused
Angle of view is dependent on format or subject size divided by focal length, and for similar angle you can simply compare this ratio.

Technically the subtended angle is the angle whose sine is this ratio.

For narrow angles Angle of view = arcsine(format size/focal length)

or, more correctly...

Angle of view = 2*arcsine(half the format size/focal length)

Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:09:51 am »

If 50mm is what you grab with 35mm systems you will prefer the HC50 over the HC35. You will might even prefer the HC80 over the HC50 since 50mm on the 35mm system is something like a 60-70 on the H3D39.

If I would make a translation from my Nikon system to my H system it would be something like this.

A 24mm on the Nikon = 35mm on the H3D39
A 35mm on the Nikon = 50mm on the H3D39
A 50mm on the Nikon = 80 mm on the H3D39

There are these nice excel sheets that calculate this for you but I am now going from memory and the way I work.

didot

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 05:36:42 pm »

Thank you guys!!  ;)
I bought the 35 mm because i had a great offer on it and can return it if anything wrong.

didot

Softness problem with Hasselblad H3D 3
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:39:51 am »

Hello!
i'm running some test with my new H3D 31 (+ Hasselblad 35 mm lens) and discovered that a lot of my pictures were really soft with a lot of deterioration in the shadow. I'm quite disappointed.

Does anyone have any idea why?
Thank you

BobDavid

Re: Softness problem with Hasselblad H3D 3
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:04:14 am »

Hello!
i'm running some test with my new H3D 31 (+ Hasselblad 35 mm lens) and discovered that a lot of my pictures were really soft with a lot of deterioration in the shadow. I'm quite disappointed.

Does anyone have any idea why?
Thank you

The HC 35 lens works well when stopped down to around f/8 or f/11. Its weak spot is corner sharpness at infinity. Also, if you shot those tests handheld, did you use the mirror delay setting? You might be getting a little bit of blur from the mirror slap. You may also want to make sure the auto-focus is working correctly. I'm not sure if my memory serves me well, but there might be a micro adjustment for specific lenses on the HD bodies.

didot

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 06:43:28 pm »

Thank you Bod.

This shot was taken hand-held at f19 and shutter speed at 1/90.
Do you think it might be the reason?
No mirror delay. I'll check if my lens needs some specific adjustment
 :)

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:32 am »

You're running into diffraction problems at any f/stop at f/16 or beyond. Try f/11 - f/5.6. Those are the sweet spots for that particular lens. If shooting handheld, try setting the mirror delay in the camera.

didot

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 10:12:41 am »

I'll! Thank you for your advice  ;)

orc73

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 03:36:38 am »

Hi

now as you ve been around for the system for a while: how happy are you with it? can you see significant differences compared to your D700?

best regards

williamrohr

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 10:43:12 pm »

I have owned the H system since it first became available and at one time or another have owned all of the lenses (except some of the versionIIs).  Comments above regarding diffraction are very pertinent.  For reasons not clear based on the physics, the H lenses seem to be more sensitive to diffraction (deteriorate more rapidly per f stop) than other medium format lenses (although most of those I only used with film).  I am so convinced of this that I avoid f-stops higher (smaller) than f11 with a passion.  Also, elimination of vibration is essential, meaning heavy rigid tripod & mirror lock-up (move it to one of the programmable buttons on the rear of the grip for convenience).  When this is done the sharpness can be spectacular.  All of these issues became all the more critical when the H4D50 became my daily camera over the H3DII31 (reasons for this well documented in other LULU threads).  I am suspicious that the diffraction effects may be more apparent on the medium format over the DSLRs because of the overall softening effects of the AA filter on the DSLRs which tends to hide/soften the transition.  Also I must say that the 30 mm was never as sharp as some of the other lenses such as the 55-110 which has produced some "shockingly" sharp shots, especially at infinity.  I finally sold the 30mm and switched to the 28mm which is perceptively sharper, even to non-photographers (but be careful of the edges on a more full frame sensor ... less of a problem with H*D31).  One man's two cents.  Bill

BobDavid

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 11:23:32 pm »

The HC 35mm lens is not good at infinity; the edges  go soft. It is fine for studio work and interior architectural photography. My Sony a850 and Zeiss 24-70 performs much better than the HC 35 does with a 39MP back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up