Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My website  (Read 13518 times)

Vuurtoren

• Creative Landscape and Environmental Portraiture
Re: My website
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 01:36:12 pm »

Ok John, thankyou for taking the trouble to respond
What we see and what we are looking at are often two very different things.

johnmacp

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 03:09:35 pm »

Hi Chris - I'll have a go. I enjoyed your site - particularly the Environmental Portraits and especially What They Left Behind. The former is very evocative of the Scottish west coast that I am familiar with (from birth) and was insightful in a way that much work I see of this type is not. The latter is excellent, and my only criticism would be that the slightly 'bright' repro was a bit much for my taste with that subject matter, but thats a minor crit.

The Tone Poet left me slightly dissatisfied. I like the idea, but I think the medium you are using is conspiring against you (and against my enjoyment). When viewing evocative/artistic image such as this, with the subtle shapes and movement, the interruption of a black screen with a flash-build as the next image spools up to display is a bummer.  Far better imho would be for one image to dissolve into the next, to underline the continual motion and movement of the ocean and the fact that all oceans are one ocean. It was like reading a poem one line at a time, with each line delivered so far apart I'd forgotten what had been said before. I'd love to see the set with the 'afterglow' of each previous image burned into my retina as each successive one spills in.

Re storytelling - I'm interested in the ways that digital (online) media can be used tell stories, and if you've not seen The Whale Hunt by Johnathan Harris you might enjoy it:       http://thewhalehunt.org/

I can see where your Tone Poem is heading, and I like it, but I feel you need to find a more 'liberating' way of presenting the work, so we can anjoy it more fully, and perhaps in the way you originally intended (?).

Good stuff! And great to see someone pushing themselves and their audience!

Regards

John

www.john-macpherson-photography.com

Vuurtoren

• Creative Landscape and Environmental Portraiture
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 05:03:43 pm »

Hi John,  Firstly, wow, a whole month, that long already.  I never intend to ignore people who respond to me, sorry, but I have been away for some time, am back now, but am busy moving house and this will take at least another two weeks of my time, so I have had very little opportunity to have a natter on the forum.

thanks for your input.  yes I suppose I have often messed with the idea that I need to present things differently on the web - the actual images are stunning when printed but the web does them a serious injustice.  Unfortunately I am so fed up with the the time and energy and learning curve of re-designing my web that I have had to settle for this as is presentation.  There are too many complexities in web management and design - I really have decided that the stress is not worth it.  I had to, a little reluctantly, decide that enough was enough when it came to learning and managing web presentations and simply accepted standard templates as an alternative.

thankyou for your points by the way.

Chris
What we see and what we are looking at are often two very different things.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up