Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson firmware 6.62 warning....  (Read 1191 times)

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
Epson firmware 6.62 warning....
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:04:42 pm »

Hi all:

I just went through a several hour time, paper and ink wasting experience with the latest 6.62 firmware for the Epson 4880 and thought I would post a warning.

Epson seems to have screwed up the black and white processing in the latest print driver.   Much darker than previous version.  

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it's an end-of-quarter ploy to increase paper and ink sales but in any case unless you enjoy proofing all your black and white prints (again and again) I'd avoid this version and stick with 6.52.    Removing a driver in Vista isn't much fun either and the big hint is that you have to uninstall the 4880 from control panel's programs and features and then REBOOT or you'll keep getting the newest (and worst) driver.

I did not (and will never) try this version with the 9880 but I'll bet it's the same problem.

There also seems to be an issue with nozzle checks missing colours completely, in particular cyan, even though there are no clogs.  This could be a firmware problem rather than a driver problem of course but seems to have appeared in the same batch of updates.

Happy printing....
Doug
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:11:03 pm by DougMorgan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up