Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Dawn  (Read 4713 times)

DuncanAndison

• http://www.takenfromthetop.com/
Blue Dawn
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:47:46 am »

This is a series taken from the summit of Triglav in Slovenia.  We had stayed the night in the hut 300 metres below, Dom Planika, and set off nice an early to avoid the heat and the build up of traffic on the narrow ridge. As compensation for the early rise the Julian Alps treated us to a nice atmospheric misty dawn. Amazing place and people, look forward to going back again. Not sure whether I should lift the exposure a little more with these though!?!

Thanks for looking

Duncan

stamper

Re: Blue Dawn
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:09:11 am »

In the first and the third I can see two images. Each of them could be halved and they could be separate images in their own right? Not sure about the hue though. You have something definite there but I am not sure what?

DuncanAndison

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:58:25 pm »

Thanks Stamper, see what you mean about the two shots in one thing, I will have a bit play around with that... The hue, can't do much about that one, that's how it came out the camera and while I could change the colour in photoshop it wouldn't be what was seen on the day. I guess it will be a personal thing, some will like it while others will not. Thanks for the advice on cropping though, very helpful.

Duncan

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:38:37 pm »

Hi Duncan, and thanks for sharing your work.  A good series; for myself, I prefer the 2nd/3rd over the first.  Not that the first is irrretrievable, but (perhaps ironically), it's the level of detail that can be seen in the foreground and mid-frame in the first one that makes it less impressive for me.  What I mean is, in the latter two images there's a sense of form, somewhat abstract layering of colours, and that 'illusion' if you will is marred by the harsher reality of the mountain detail and what looks like buildings in the first image.  Maybe it's because I'm a romantic at heart...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

JeffColburn

• The Creative's Corner
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:17:39 pm »

Wow, I really like all of them. Thanks for sharing.

Have Fun,
Jeff
If you're interested in photography, stock images of Arizona and Fine Art Prints of Arizona, visit www.TheCreativesCorner.com

SJ.Butel

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:14:30 am »

Awesome!
Thanks for posting!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:17:47 am by SJ.Butel »

DuncanAndison

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:43 pm »

Awesome!
Thanks for posting!
Wow, I really like all of them. Thanks for sharing.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Thanks, your welcome

Hi Duncan, and thanks for sharing your work.  A good series; for myself, I prefer the 2nd/3rd over the first.  Not that the first is irrretrievable, but (perhaps ironically), it's the level of detail that can be seen in the foreground and mid-frame in the first one that makes it less impressive for me.  What I mean is, in the latter two images there's a sense of form, somewhat abstract layering of colours, and that 'illusion' if you will is marred by the harsher reality of the mountain detail and what looks like buildings in the first image.  Maybe it's because I'm a romantic at heart...

Mike.

Thanks Mike, that is really helpful. I was looking at the option of cropping  off the bottom half of that first shot leaving a pano type shot of the upper layering which will help simplify the shot. I guess I am guilty of not knowing what to leave out. I used to do a lot of oil painting years ago, when I had more spare time, and I remember my art lecturer telling me that the hardest thing is not knowing what to paint, it's what not to paint. It was so easy to keep working a painting to the point when you have added to much, knowing when to stop is crucial.

In this instance, especially the first shot, I think I lost touch with the reason why I found these shots appealing, their simplicity, and as a result allowed to much detail to creep in to spoil their simplicity.

Thanks again

Duncan

kpmedia

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 02:12:49 pm »

I like them as-is, color and cropping and all. Nice blues.
Long time Nikon user. Currently using D200 + D3s for sports photography.

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:44:36 pm »

I think that these are just stunning, and all the more so for not being the result of heavy photoshopping!

mitchallenphoto

• Mitch Allen Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 01:04:00 pm »

Great shots very abstract. I like the blue in the shots they have a nice mood to them and you can't get that at 10 am.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:50 am »

Hi Duncan, and thanks for sharing your work.  A good series; for myself, I prefer the 2nd/3rd over the first.  Not that the first is irrretrievable, but (perhaps ironically), it's the level of detail that can be seen in the foreground and mid-frame in the first one that makes it less impressive for me.  What I mean is, in the latter two images there's a sense of form, somewhat abstract layering of colours, and that 'illusion' if you will is marred by the harsher reality of the mountain detail and what looks like buildings in the first image.  Maybe it's because I'm a romantic at heart...

Mike.

A very good description of my own impression; could not have said it better.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 12:30:27 pm »

The first and second are pleasing but for me, the third is by far the best. I can imagine myself just sitting and gazing at a large print, feeling peaceful.

Jeremy

mattpallante

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 05:55:15 pm »

Nice images Duncan. I like the 3rd image the most, the different layers and the way it keeps my eyes moving.

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up