Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA241W Calibration results analysis  (Read 7384 times)

paolo1968

NEC PA241W Calibration results analysis
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:32:08 am »

Hello there,

I calibrated my new NEC PA241W with SpectraviewII and a Spyder3, and as I am not an expert, I would ask you if someone in this forum could comment the results.

I calibrated it for "photo editing", setting before "AdobeRGB" by OSD, and then "sRGB emulation" with sRGB OSD setting.

Please find in the following the pictures of the results.

Many thanks in advance,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

paolo1968

Re: NEC PA241W Calibration results analysis
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 05:37:41 am »

I realized that if you use Spectraview and you calibrate, you have a new user defined OSD mode, called Spectraview.
Then an ICC profile is created, which is automatically updated when you choose different mode in Spectraview software.

So I calibrated again, this time with a target of sRGB mode, but with two different brightness values, 140 and 160.

Anyone can kindly comment these (and the other) results?

Thanks again,

probep

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:47:39 am »

Anyone can kindly comment these (and the other) results?
My Spyder3 colorimeters are very inaccurate. I see your Spyder3 is inaccurate as well - your sRGB profiles are too far from the standard.
See this post and the next post.

It's recommended to use spectros (ColorMunki Photo/Design or i1Pro) or custom calibrated colorimeters (NEC MDSVSENSOR2 for example) for wide gamut displays.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:06:17 am by probep »

ChasP505

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:52 am »

My Spyder3 colorimeters are very inaccurate. I see your Spyder3 is inaccurate as well - your sRGB profiles are too far from the standard.
See this post and the next post.

It's recommended to use spectros (ColorMunki Photo/Design or i1Pro) or custom calibrated colorimeters (NEC MDSVSENSOR2 for example) for wide gamut displays.

Both calibration results at 140cd/m2 looked pretty good to me...  max DeltaE under 1.0.  Sure, the optimal setup is using the NEC labeled puck, but I'd be OK with these results from a Spyder3.  The only issue I have with the Spyder3 colorimeter is that they tend to read the black point too high as compared with an X-Rite colorimeter (Display 2 or DTP-94).
Chas P.

probep

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 11:53:44 am »

Both calibration results at 140cd/m2 looked pretty good to me...  max DeltaE under 1.0.

Oh, no. The results are very bad if Will Hollingworth from NEC and Ethan_Hansen from Dry Creek Photo are right. paolo1968's sRGB emulation profiles are too far from the sRGB profile.
These deltaEs show nothing except small program's calibration errors and Spyder3 deviations for gray colors. These deltas cannot show colorimeter accuracy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:00:04 pm by probep »

ChasP505

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:06:15 pm »

Oh, no. The results are very bad if Will Hollingworth from NEC and Ethan_Hansen from Dry Creek Photo are right. paolo1968's sRGB emulation profiles are too far from the sRGB profile...

How do feel about the Adobe RGB results?  Especially at 140cd/m2?
Chas P.

probep

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 12:16:05 pm »

How do feel about the Adobe RGB results?  Especially at 140cd/m2?
I don't know. I don't have a NEC PA241w and I cannot compare paolo1968's profiles with profiles created with an expert level spectroradiometer. Thus it is impossible to me to evaluate the colorimeter accuracy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:55:17 pm by probep »

probep

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 01:54:28 pm »

By the way there is the simple method to evaluate the accuracy of a probe. On new NEC PA- and 90-series displays the color temperature of white point in the native mode is 6500 K.
You can measure the temperature with the SpectraView II application (Tool-> Colorimeter Window)
For example my probes showed on new NEC 2690WUXi2:
Spyder3 colorimeters - 7500-8000 K,
i1Display 2 colorimeters - 5700-5800 K,
i1Pro spectros - 6450-6550 K,
ColorMunki spectro - 6400-6600 K,
NEC MDSVSENSOR2 colorimeters - 6450-6500 K.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:19:31 pm by probep »

WombatHorror

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:36:35 pm »

Hello there,

I calibrated my new NEC PA241W with SpectraviewII and a Spyder3, and as I am not an expert, I would ask you if someone in this forum could comment the results.

I calibrated it for "photo editing", setting before "AdobeRGB" by OSD, and then "sRGB emulation" with sRGB OSD setting.

Please find in the following the pictures of the results.

Many thanks in advance,

hmmm
First, for photo-editing, you don't want to chose AdobeRGB but instead native gamut. Then select D65. It will then set it to native gamut and adjust the internal LUTs to D65 and then profile it.

Second, it looks like the Spyder3 you have has some troubles with accuracy, that plot for the AdobeRGB gamut doesn't look at all like what I get when I use either an i1Pro or the NEC i1D2.

Third, why 333 cd/m^2 for sRGB? That seems insanely high and you get such high black levels which seems bad for games/tv/movies.

also what compensation level do you have set?

WombatHorror

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 09:42:17 pm »

How do feel about the Adobe RGB results?  Especially at 140cd/m2?

His gamut readings for both his sRGB and aRGB attempt are way too far off.
EDIT: Although I did forget that he was measuring the preset for sRGB which might be a bit off until the monitor settles in, all the same it still looks likely a bit too far off.

He might have a bad copy of the spyder3 (and some say at least 1 in 3 are bad, and only 1 in 3, at best, are good) and/or it doesn't agree well with the particular spectrum put out by this monitor.

BTW what was the goal for the calibrations/profiles?

I used a combo of SVII + multiprofiler to tweak the sRGB mode and thus I get something that works fine with non-managed programs and the true sRGB TRC. I use that for web browsing. Then I did a similar thing but switched to Gamma 2.2 and use that for TC/movies/games.

For photo-editing I just used SVII and set native gamut, D65 and then let it profile it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:47:02 pm by LarryBaum »

paolo1968

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 03:27:26 am »

His gamut readings for both his sRGB and aRGB attempt are way too far off.
EDIT: Although I did forget that he was measuring the preset for sRGB which might be a bit off until the monitor settles in, all the same it still looks likely a bit too far off.

He might have a bad copy of the spyder3 (and some say at least 1 in 3 are bad, and only 1 in 3, at best, are good) and/or it doesn't agree well with the particular spectrum put out by this monitor.

BTW what was the goal for the calibrations/profiles?

I used a combo of SVII + multiprofiler to tweak the sRGB mode and thus I get something that works fine with non-managed programs and the true sRGB TRC. I use that for web browsing. Then I did a similar thing but switched to Gamma 2.2 and use that for TC/movies/games.
For photo-editing I just used SVII and set native gamut, D65 and then let it profile it.

Well here is the situation: I bought the NEC PA241 for raw processing and photoediting. I am not a professional, but neither a novice in Digital photography.
My aim was to buy a good monitor, wide gamut (why not?) I had a great price on the PA241, so here we are.
When I installed it I noticed that it has some presets as AdobeRGB, sRGB you can choose, VERY different in colors. My goal is to have the best mix between color/raw processing in Lightroom and the fact that I will for sure post photo in sRGB and, maybe sometimes print.
I must say I won't print so many photos.
So, as the AdobeRGB mode and sRGB mode (factory hw modes) were so different in colors, I wanted to calibrate it, Spyder+Spectraview.
Summarizing: I am not a professional, I only want to have a good calibrated monitor for my poor sRGB outputs.

Now I'm tryng to stay with sRGB at 160.

BTW, how do you set native gamut in SVII?

Thanks again,

paolo1968

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 03:46:40 am »

third, why 333 cd/m^2 for sRGB? That seems insanely high and you get such high black levels which seems bad for games/tv/movies.
Yes, I noticed too it was way TOO bright..
It is the default preset of SVII, when you set "sRGB emulation". It sets "maximum" for intensity.. that's way I modified it and tried with 140 and 160 cd/m.

Thanks again,

WombatHorror

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 05:20:24 pm »

Well here is the situation: I bought the NEC PA241 for raw processing and photoediting. I am not a professional, but neither a novice in Digital photography.
My aim was to buy a good monitor, wide gamut (why not?) I had a great price on the PA241, so here we are.
When I installed it I noticed that it has some presets as AdobeRGB, sRGB you can choose, VERY different in colors. My goal is to have the best mix between color/raw processing in Lightroom and the fact that I will for sure post photo in sRGB and, maybe sometimes print.
I must say I won't print so many photos.
So, as the AdobeRGB mode and sRGB mode (factory hw modes) were so different in colors, I wanted to calibrate it, Spyder+Spectraview.
Summarizing: I am not a professional, I only want to have a good calibrated monitor for my poor sRGB outputs.

Now I'm tryng to stay with sRGB at 160.

BTW, how do you set native gamut in SVII?

Thanks again,

well the different modes aren't really different in colors just that some can show more than others, but when they show the same color it should look the same no matter what gamut you have set so longer as the color fits in both gamuts and you use color-managed software

it is better to use the native gamut than adobergb mode, there is no point to setting it to adobergb, or even worse sRGB if you are going to be editing photos in photoshop/lightroom, you should always edit with the monitor set to native gamut, set lightroom to prophotorgb 16bits internally, then you can save one copy like that with full detail and another as 8bit sRGB.
for other stuff you switch over to sRGB mode

In SV II you need to select the photo editing base preset and then you can chose gamut native.

Pages: [1]   Go Up