Poll

How is the reliability of Profoto's new compacts.

No failures.
- 3 (75%)
Minor failures. (User fixeable).
- 0 (0%)
Minor failures. (Dealer fixeable.)
- 0 (0%)
Major failures. (Dealer fixeable.)
- 1 (25%)
Major failures. (Back to the factory.)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: September 09, 2010, 05:10:06 am

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto D1's and reliability  (Read 3368 times)

julius0377

Profoto D1's and reliability
« on: August 26, 2010, 05:10:06 am »

Having had the old compacts in most variants, and having major failures on all of them at some point, (mostly circuit boards), I'm looking at the new D1's to complement my D4 and Acute2 kits. However I have reservations due to my experience with the old compacts. All other Pro kit that I have is super stable and reliable.

Please also leave a comment if you want to share specifics on you Profoto D1 experience.

ChristopherBarrett

Re: Profoto D1's and reliability
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:37:28 am »

I've got 5 500's and 5 1000's and have  needed 5 repairs in the last year or so.  Two of those were due to early problems with the flash tube, one got knocked over from high up and 2 refused to even power up after a flight to Atlanta.

Overall, though, I've found them more reliable than the Elinchromes and Balcars I used before them.

CB

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:19:25 pm »

I personally have not used the D1's, however i find any mono less reliable than head/pack combos.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:36 pm »

naturally when the power is seperate from the tubes, it makes easier pack travel.  I have used the Balcars before and really liked them. They got old and sold them. Since I have had Norman with just about all their variety of packs, and they are build strong. Only issues were after user accidents.  Now I have Photogenic mono's and I am very happy. they have upto 1000w/s, Oddly enough Norman and Photogenic and Giodard are all the same company, and you can get adapters to work from Norman modifiers to Photogenic heads.  The only thing with these and the Balcars, or even the Speedo's, the flash durration I dont think is very fast.  Sure some better than others, but I would THINK the D1 is much faster. Calumet and another company with V, Vistatek? or something, I think use many same parts.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:01:55 am »

I've got 5 500's and 5 1000's and have  needed 5 repairs in the last year or so.  Two of those were due to early problems with the flash tube, one got knocked over from high up and 2 refused to even power up after a flight to Atlanta.

Overall, though, I've found them more reliable than the Elinchromes and Balcars I used before them.

CB

Chris, Do you fly with these in the provided Profoto cases?  I'm doing some flying with a new set and am wondering about whether to get some Tenba cases.  The Profoto cases seem like they'd protect the heads pretty well, but not the light stands or umbrellas.

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:04:02 pm »

Nah, I put them in Lightware MF1623's, thought that would be good protection, but cargo handlers managed to smash up some reflectors.  Last time I flew we put them in the Pelican cases which I don't like because they transmit more impact shock, but at least my reflectors were safe.  I may get some custom Versaflex's... which reminds me I need to order that stand case!

CB
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:06:03 pm by CBarrett »

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:14 pm »

The profoto D1's In my experience, have few problems overall when shipped in the fitted cases available from Profot/Mac group.
I have had people flying with them for 15 years on the old ones and a year or so on the D1's with few if any problems.
They do have very quick flash durations which allows for constant white balance and less blur , especially from people as subjects.
A little care and they should be very good soldiers for any one using them.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

archivue

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:36:23 pm »

if you want too mix old compacts and D1, you will find that the color temperature isn't the same at all...

i've fix it with the -600 °K pyrex dome on my D1.
I much prefer them with dome !
Pages: [1]   Go Up